FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme 4 NVME PCI-E SSD BOOTING!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by zazzn zazzn wrote:

So I just wanted to share with everyone, that I was able to get my machine to boot a NVME PCI-E Intel.

You will need to install a modified BIOS which has the correct drivers to allow booting form the NVME drive however, once done, you are on a course for smooth sailing for 1000 MB+ of SSD bliss. 

You can find all the information you need here however, if you don't want to go though the trouble you can use my pre-modified BIOS here

I just wanted to share my excitement with my new found loved brand of motherboard. I also noticed they have their own BETA bios for NVME support here which is pretty sick considering the board is several years old. 

I'm a long term computer enthusiast and I can say without a shadow of a doubt my next board will be ASRock.

I've had ABIT, ASUS, GIGABYTE, SOYO, MSI and I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I will choose ASRock again next time. 

I'm waiting for ASRock to release a new z170 with Alpine ridge support and a configuration similar to the Z170x-UD3 which can support 3 NVME drives :))))

My question for you about your modified UEFI with NVMe support for the Z77 Extreme4 board is this: Can you get into the UEFI/BIOS UI with your modified UEFI version, using the Restart to UEFI program, or the standard way with the Del or F2 key? That is, with an NVMe SSD as the OS/boot drive?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about waiting for ASRock to release a board that supports three NVMe SSDs?

ASRock currently has three Z170 mother boards that support three M.2 NVMe SSDs, the Z170 OC Formula, Z170 Extreme7+, and the Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7.

Plus you can always use M.2 to PCIe adapter cards to use more NVMe SSDs on any ASRock Z170 board, as well as standard PCIe NVMe SSDs like the Intel 750.
zazzn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zazzn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:53am
So I just wanted to share with everyone, that I was able to get my machine to boot a NVME PCI-E Intel.

You will need to install a modified BIOS which has the correct drivers to allow booting form the NVME drive however, once done, you are on a course for smooth sailing for 1000 MB+ of SSD bliss. 

You can find all the information you need here however, if you don't want to go though the trouble you can use my pre-modified BIOS here

I just wanted to share my excitement with my new found loved brand of motherboard. I also noticed they have their own BETA bios for NVME support here which is pretty sick considering the board is several years old. 

I'm a long term computer enthusiast and I can say without a shadow of a doubt my next board will be ASRock.

I've had ABIT, ASUS, GIGABYTE, SOYO, MSI and I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I will choose ASRock again next time. 

I'm waiting for ASRock to release a new z170 with Alpine ridge support and a configuration similar to the Z170x-UD3 which can support 3 NVME drives :))))

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic