ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem oveclocking 4.6ghz+ pc shuts off benchmark
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem oveclocking 4.6ghz+ pc shuts off benchmark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamminions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem oveclocking 4.6ghz+ pc shuts off benchmark
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 3:26pm
Win 7
5930k 45x 4.5ghz 1.269 stable
45x cache 1.269 stable
Xmp 2666 1.2 ballistic elite
Asrock mini itx x99
Ax860i power supply
Gtx 970
1.9 input
72 degrees max in stress testing

Those settings verify and for the life of me I cannot go higher then 45x. Whatever I do when I start to benchmark at 46x+ it immediately shuts down. Even if I put the core voltage at 1.3 1.4 1.5 no matter what it shuts down within 1 second. I don't see any thermal throttling. I can't tell if it's the VRM shutting down or what's going on. I have tried no xmp , lower cache settings, 1.8-2.1 input. Speed step on and off, blck at 125 and lower multiplier, nothing works.

Any ideas as to why it is shutting down when going beyond 45x?

Note when doing 46x at 1.269 volts it BSOD and I am thinking the voltage was too low but when I raise it to even 1.299 it shuts down. I can't tell if it's a bios issue when the voltage goes to high or what. I don't see any temps over 75 so far.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:01pm
From what I have seen 4.5ghz seems to be a common wall on the 5930k with the odd "cherry picked" or pro binned CPUs going up to 4.8ghz. I have similar problems on my far cheaper G3258, stable as a rock at 4.5 but 4.6 instantly bsods as soon as the OS tries to load, no amount of extra voltage (up to 1.6 on one brave attempt) will allow me to boot. 

I doubt it is the board itself as I have seen review after review that state the overclocking on the X99 ITX is on par with other full sized boards. In this scenario, given the symptoms it seems 4.5ghz is your CPU's wall. You could try bumping up your cache voltage to 1.15v or 1.20v and see if that gets you anywhere. You did not mention what you have LLC set to (load-line calibration), LLC can help stability in some cases.

You can also take a look at Haswell-E overclocking guides and see if there is anything else you may have missed. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:32am
Try setting the cache speed to stock, 3.5GHz, and reduce the cache voltage or set it to Auto, which is Adaptive. Benchmarks show there is very little benefit to increasing the cache speed compared to the CPU core speeds.

Have you ever monitored the CPU power usage when stress testing? What do you use for stress testing?
Teamminions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamminions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 3:24pm
I have lowered the cache to 35 and even as low as 23. I was benchmarking with real bench and iTXU. I have every benchmark available also. I can't even boot at my stable settings after increasing the vcore beyond 1.29. Basically anything over vcore 1.29 instantly shuts off durning any benchmark and or even won't post. I eliminated the power supply by trying my ax1200i and same problem. It feels like it's a VRM issue voltage wise. My temps are fine, never throttling or hitting tjmax.
GonzoHR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonzoHR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:18pm
I had similar issue... u got great PSU, but consider to try with another one... I change my PSU with another identical and no problem anymore with shutdown... just try and eliminate doubt about PSU... step by step solutions... ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic