ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Z170M-ITX/ac does everything well.. But reboot.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Z170M-ITX/ac does everything well.. But reboot.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Z170M-ITX/ac does everything well.. But reboot.
    Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 8:01pm
Hi there. This is my glitch:

My board does everything like a charm (boot, suspend, unsuspend, poweroff) but reboot. Many times (almost always but not all) at reboot, after O.S. succesfully terminates, board gets hang, screen black, fans fixed at the speed it where, and unresponsive keyboard (lit but no response to any key).
Solution is 4-second hard-reset. Then restarts without a problem. Workaround is always shutdown or suspend but never reboot.

It started doing this about a week ago, it worked fine before.

My system is stock, not overclocked i7-6700K with NVidia 1060 3GB and 2x8GB 2600 SDRAM. 2 SATA disks, 240GB SSD and 2TB mech. Not other hard but miniPCI-e stock wifi
It fails the same with Windows 10 and Linux 4.4.0-last. I've rEFInd UEFI boot manager on Windows EFI partition and is checked ok.

Please, I pray for support as is the only kirk of the system.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: BIOS 2.60. it was 1.10 when new

Edited by Ismas - 20 Sep 2016 at 8:12pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm
Ismas, why don't you begin by listing all the hardware your computer is comprised of.

That'll give us a little bit more to go on.
Ismas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:16pm
OK, there we go:

Z170M-ITX/ac board, BIOS 2.60. 3 weeks old, original bios 1.10.
CPU i7-6700K 4000Mhz (not overclocked)
2x8GB G-Skill RipJaws V Series DDR4 F4-2666C15D-16GV 2666Mhz XMP2 15-15-15-35 (not overclocked)
EVGA Nvidia 1060 SC 3GB (not overclocked)
The miniPCI-e wifi card

SanDisk ULTRA II 240GB SSD SATA disk on SATA_1
Western Digital 2.5'' 2TB SATA disk on SATA_2

ANTEC H2O H600 watercooler and fan (cpu fan)
TACENS RADIX ECO III 650W power supply
PS/2 keyboard & USB 2.0 mouse.
and Thermaltake Core V1 box with 200mm front fan (chassis fan).

Video outs from Nvidia card. No more things plugged on other ports.

Edited by Ismas - 20 Sep 2016 at 9:31pm
Ismas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:45pm
Uuup!

Anyone with the same problem?

It keeps failing on rebooting. It get worse after several hours gaming.

Edited by Ismas - 26 Sep 2016 at 8:47pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Ismas Ismas wrote:

Hi there. This is my glitch:

My board does everything like a charm (boot, suspend, unsuspend, poweroff) but reboot. Many times (almost always but not all) at reboot, after O.S. succesfully terminates, board gets hang, screen black, fans fixed at the speed it where, and unresponsive keyboard (lit but no response to any key).
Solution is 4-second hard-reset. Then restarts without a problem. Workaround is always shutdown or suspend but never reboot.

It started doing this about a week ago, it worked fine before.

My system is stock, not overclocked i7-6700K with NVidia 1060 3GB and 2x8GB 2600 SDRAM. 2 SATA disks, 240GB SSD and 2TB mech. Not other hard but miniPCI-e stock wifi
It fails the same with Windows 10 and Linux 4.4.0-last. I've rEFInd UEFI boot manager on Windows EFI partition and is checked ok.

Please, I pray for support as is the only kirk of the system.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: BIOS 2.60. it was 1.10 when new

So I understand this clearly, when you restart the PC from either running OS, by selecting a Restart in either OS, that is the situation where the PC is unable to function and start normally?

You said this happens most of the time, but not every time, right?

If you shutdown an OS, does the PC shutdown fine, and then start fine the next time you press the power button?

Semi-random, or seemingly random issues like this are the most difficult to identify.

You said this happens with both Windows 10 and Linux. So you have a dual-booting installation on your SSD?

It sounds like there may be a problem with the PC "knowing" which OS or boot partition to use on a restart.

How do you select either OS to boot on your PC?

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS, with the jumper on your board?

You don't notice any difference in the restarts, if you restart from Win 10 or Linux?

Windows 10 has been updating quite a bit the last few weeks, your PC should not be immune to that.

Did you try disabling the Windows 10 fast startup feature?
Ismas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 9:42pm
Hi, thanks you for your time.

So I understand this clearly, when you restart the PC from either running OS, by selecting a Restart in either OS, that is the situation where the PC is unable to function and start normally?

Correct.

You said this happens most of the time, but not every time, right?

Right. And frequency is disturbly variable. Some days does not restart ever, some days restarts half of the time. One time system got totally locked, indifferent to power switches, and had to reset CMOS.  This only happend once.
I built the system about 2 months ago.

If you shutdown an OS, does the PC shutdown fine, and then start fine the next time you press the power button?

Yes. And also suspend. I have all "S" modes in BIOS in "AUTO".

Semi-random, or seemingly random issues like this are the most difficult to identify.

If it  were a common thing didn't bother you. Smile

You said this happens with both Windows 10 and Linux. So you have a dual-booting installation on your SSD?

Correct.

It sounds like there may be a problem with the PC "knowing" which OS or boot partition to use on a restart.

How do you select either OS to boot on your PC?

I use linux rEFInd UEFI boot loader in the boot partition created by Win10. First installed Win10 then Linux (Ubuntu MATE). rEFInd found it and simply installed EXT4 drivers and reconfigured it. As far as I know works fine.
If I select to boot from disk instead of Windows UEFI partition, it boots into GRUB. I don't use it.
Also configured BIOS to not try to find and boot from secondary HDD, for not delaying  POST.
CSM is enabled on BIOS for rEFInd to find legacy usb devices.

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS, with the jumper on your board?

Yes I did. No changes.

You don't notice any difference in the restarts, if you restart from Win 10 or Linux?

Though question. I can confirm it fails on both, but cannot assure it fails  more on one or another. Both shutdowns fast and cleanly. They both boot  in about 5 secs after POST and shutdowns in about the same. I tried boot-reboot cycles without opening any program in both systems to no luck, fails randomly.

Windows 10 has been updating quite a bit the last few weeks, your PC should not be immune to that.

AFAIK I have it up-to-date. No changes to the behaviour last days.

Did you try disabling the Windows 10 fast startup feature?

I have it in slow startup in BIOS or rEFInd cries about not able to find legacy devices.

Thanks.

Edit: When reboot fails, system appears to be totally  hang. Lights on keyboard stay  lit, no response. Fans stay at the speed they were before reboot. Reset button doesnt work. Blank screen with "no signal" sign. Only way is four-seconds push on power button, or power cycle. Then always boots fine, except for the time i had to clear CMOS.

Edit again: It doesn't matter about temperature or load. It first looked otherwise but now  fails (or not) the same after several hours of high system load gaming session or normal office use.
I'm sorry it looks like a quiz but it's this way.

Edited by Ismas - 07 Oct 2016 at 10:00pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:30pm
What is your "Package C-State" setting in your UEFI set to? If it isn't set to Auto, try setting it to that.
Ismas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 3:14am
It was disabled. I've enabled it and will tell you soon.

Ismas_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:55pm
Hi there. I cannot recover my password so registered again.

After two weeks of testing I got it: It's all about memory speed and configuration.

* If I enable XMP 2 settings: random reboot hangs
* If I put XMP on "Auto" and lock 133/2133 MHZ: always reboots perfectly
* If I put XMP on "Auto" and lock any other higher MHZ: always hangs on reboot

Other parameters, including Pakcage C-State and MRC memory training, have no effect. I've left MRC disabled for always train memory.

I want to stress that 2666 memory works rock stable with not a blue-screen, kernel panic or such, I've even managed to overclock it a bit for testing with good results. Problem is only when reboot.

Memory is paired 2x8GB G-Skill RipJaws V Series DDR4 F4-2666C15D-16GV 2666Mhz XMP2 15-15-15-35

As a detail, even when XMP detects 15-15-15-35 wait states, BIOS selects last as 36 when auto. Fixing it to 35 also makes no effect.

May be BIOS issue?

Thanks

Ismas_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ismas_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:00pm
Up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic