ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turns on and off while in power saving mode

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turns on and off while in power saving mode
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 7:57pm
I have a Z97 Killer motherboard. The power saving mode is set to put the computer to sleep after 2 hours of non use.  However, when the computer goes to sleep, it sleeps for about 30 seconds, then turns on the fans and drives for 45 seconds, then sleeps again. This cycle continues indefinitely. I'm afraid this constant cycling is hard on the drives and other components. Anyone know how I can stop this?

Thanks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:17pm
Could you provide your system specs including OS?
Gary524 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:25pm
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU 3.60 GHz
16 GB memory
Z97 Killer mobo
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
HP 2009 and HP 22bw monitors
GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 11:01pm
Does the PC wake as normal when this happens? I have never seen anything like this before. 

Do you have intel rapid start installed and configured? It can be set so the PC is physically powered down during sleep and will resume when the power button is pressed. It is a safer sleep state, uses less power and will help extend the life of mechanical medium in your PC albeit not drastically.

If you are using "intel smart connect" it is designed to periodically wake the system and check for mail and social network activity. The frequency it checks for updates can be set and if set to frequent I imagine it could be a possible cause of the problem you describe (not actually a problem if this is the case). If it is installed and set up it should be under:

Start -> All Programs -> ASRock Utility

I hope this helps.
Rabidchiwawa007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabidchiwawa007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 5:33am
I have the same issue.  I just went through everything I could think of.

-Made sure the dehumidifier function was off
-turned off all intel smart connect crap
-set the system to not allow any network activity to wake the computer
-checked for anything else in the bios that might cause this, but can't find a likely culprit

Yet, when I put it in to sleep mode, it still does that cycle of: 30sec(ish) off - run the fans for a little - 30sec off - run the fans - etc etc.

Today, I left my battle.net launcher open when I left, and a friend said I kept logging on and off the entire time I was out of the house.  That tells me the computer is likely turning all the way on when it does this, except the displays stay off until I click the mouse or hit a key.  The LED light changes from blinking (sleep mode) to solid (on mode) when this happens as well, if that helps at all.

Anyone got any ideas?  It's been doing this since day one.
tplat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tplat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 6:18am
I had this happen on my old PC and it turned out that Curse Client was causing it.
Polar Nettles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar Nettles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 12:19pm
What does Windows say in the Event Viewer? The wake cause is in System with source "Power-Troubleshooter."
Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
i5-6500
Noctua NH-L12
HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX
16GB Patriot DDR4-2133
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Wesena HTPC-ITX5
PaIn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaIn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:40am
Did any one resolve this issue?

I have a ASRock Fatal1ty H170Performance Motherboard, running Windows 10. New install

Edited by PaIn - 27 May 2016 at 6:41am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by PaIn PaIn wrote:

Did any one resolve this issue?

I have a ASRock Fatal1ty H170Performance Motherboard, running Windows 10. New install

Are you having this sleep and wake cycle happen to you too? Or just want to know how it was resolved?

What have you done to fix the issue?

When it happens, run this command from a Command Prompt (Admin) screen:

powercfg -lastwake

That will tell you what device, if any, caused the PC to wake from Sleep.

You can also run:

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

That tells you the devices that are configured to wake the PC from Sleep.

I had a wireless mouse that would wake the PC from Sleep if I turned the mouse power off. Apparently the USB mouse transmitter would detect it lost the connection with the mouse, and would wake the PC while it tried to connect to the mouse.

Windows Sleep and wake issues can be very difficult to figure out. My Z170 board Sleeps and wakes fine, on its own or on demand. I've had other, older boards that could not wake from Sleep without losing the video signal. Never had that fixed, just gave up. It was a Windows thing but could not be fixed by the user.

Checking the suggestions in this thread might help you.
PaIn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaIn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 1:00pm
yes i was having the same issue. and could not find a fix or what the problem was.

thanks to your command you provide (powercfg -lastwake) i was able to determine the cause of my problem (Sunnto Watch software). after which i stopped the s/w and sleep mode is now fixed.

thanks again for your help

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic