ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovejuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
    Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
Hello,
I have ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 motherboard. Every time I restart my pc it gets stuck on debug code 4F (which is not listed on ASRock website). The screen is black as if the PC is off, all fans working. Nothing else happens.
When I hit "Reset" button - it gets stuck again, exactly the same situation.

The only way I can get past this is when I hold down "Power" button so the PC turns itself off. Then I hit "Power" button again to turn it on and it starts displaying something on the debug leds (changes quickly), it goes to debug code "4F" for a few seconds and restarts again. It repeats a few times (I feel like it takes longer every time I have to reboot it again) and then it finally starts working. I haven't noticed any other issues except for that.

Could you please tell me what I should do?

Also the temperature on my non overclocked i5-4670k with be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler jumps between 34*C (min) and 48*C(max) when I'm writing this post. This is with only HWMonitor, some background apps and about 10 tabs opened in my browser. Isn't it too high?

I would really appreciate your feedback as right now I have no clue what to do and don't want to end up with my PC completely broken.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:03pm
First stop, clear CMOS using this method.

Whenever you are having erratic post issues clearing CMOS by removing the battery is a good go to. Post back if that does not resolve the issue.

Also you only mentioned restarting, does the system shut down and power back on without issue?
ilovejuice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovejuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:26pm
It doesn't. I've turned it off and on after reading your post:
It started to display some very quickly changing numbers on the debug leds with black screen (as if PC off), but all fans working. I <think> I managed to catch some of these:
03, 15, 19, 3B, 10
Then it gets stuck on "4F" for a few seconds and it repeats the cycle. I waited about 20 cycles, no success. Then I hit "Reset" and it started displaying some quickly changing numbers on debug leds again, then went to "B2" and it actually turned on and started working again.

So it look like the CMOS battery is just above the Reset and Power buttons on this motherboard? Then it's blocked by my GPU. Is using "Sleep" instead of turning it off a safe way to keep it working until I have time to disassemble my PC and do a proper CMOS reset?

PS. I forgot to mention that in last 1-2 months electricity in my area went down while I was using my PC. May it be the reason for CMOS errors?

Edited by ilovejuice - 30 Sep 2016 at 5:27pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:19pm
With UEFI based motherboards there are any number of causes for corruption. Windows updates, power outages, changing major hardware on the board like RAM, CPU or GPU. A lot of this never used to happen with the old BIOS setup but, then again the old system was very limited and less intuitive. 

I am not saying that your problem is definitely UEFI related, it is very likely given the symptoms but it could be a different issue entirely. Ruling out UEFI corruption is the simplest first step and most often resolves the issue. 
ilovejuice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilovejuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:44pm
Thanks a lot for your quick answer. I will get back here after I reset CMOS.
hryelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hryelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:33am
Hey, I had something very very similar to this problem like 2 weeks ago after I upgraded gpu and monitor - I have the same mobo too. Nothing worked, until a mate of mine suggested restoring the main bios with the backup bios. That seemed to fix it, and have been stable since. I reseated components, cleared cmos etc, but this was the only fix.
Shigaev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shigaev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:25am
I got the same problem with my Z77 Extreme 4. "4F" and nothing more. Coolers work, but the screen does not react. Although a few days ago, the computer turned on (after multiple cycles of "F4"). Resetting the BIOS did not help.

Has anyone already solved this problem?

P. S. Here they talked about the restoration of the bios. My UEFI looks workable, but I would like to have a spare move. What is the recovery procedure?
Zearon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zearon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 3:58am
Same problem here. After power on while all coolers are working got repeatable post codes 15 and 4f.

CMOS cleared, all cables checked, 2 modules of RAM were changed in all possible positions.

PC not working, nothing happens.

Just wanna know how to be sure is it a motherboard error or maybe RAM, so i csn buy a new one.

Please help!
tempy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
According to this forum post, 4F is a faulty BIOS Chip. Temporary solution would be to switch BIOS A with BIOS B, and acquire a new one online to replace BIOS B. Tried it on mine and it worked, and it happened right when I attempted System Restore on Windows 7, thought I corrupted the OS on my SSD but no, I figured a mobo code has nothing to do with SSD filed being corrupted.

https://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/62764-asrock-error-code-4f.html
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 9:43am
The Dr Debug display shows various POST codes as the POST process runs when the PC starts. That does NOT mean each code you see is flagging an error.

The only code shown that has any significance is the last POST code shown, and then ONLY if the PC does not allow you to enter the UEFI/BIOS, or does not boot your OS. If you can get into the UEFI UI or boot the OS, POST completed fine, and any code shown is just leftover, the code of the last POST process that ran.

While an electrical problem could have caused a damaged UEFI chip, just the UEFI code may have been corrupted. I would first try to install whatever UEFI version you are currently using again, and see if that solves the problem. Please use the Instant Flash method to flash to the same or newer version, it is the most reliable.

If that does not work, as suggested above, switch to the backup UEFI chip, and see if the board still behaves as it has been with your issue. If that seems to fix the problem, you can get a new UEFI chip from ASRock and insert it yourself, no soldering necessary.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic