ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaveNoName Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:16pm
I had 4F error when waking up from sleep cause i had disabled gear down mode.
rafadr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafadr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by tempy tempy wrote:

According to this forum post, 4F is a faulty BIOS Chip. Temporary solution would be to switch BIOS A with BIOS B, and acquire a new one online to replace BIOS B. Tried it on mine and it worked, and it happened right when I attempted System Restore on Windows 7, thought I corrupted the OS on my SSD but no, I figured a mobo code has nothing to do with SSD filed being corrupted.

https://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/62764-asrock-error-code-4f.html

Replacing BIOS A chip with BIOS B chip solved my issue too. Thanks, I had this problem for a while.

I'll buy a new BIOS chip to replace the problematic one.

Here is an image with the location of BIOS chips:

rafadr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafadr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:53pm
According to the Asrock support, we can switch BIOS A to BIOS B by changing the BIOS jumper.

After changing, you can enter in BIOS setup and backup the working BIOS to the corrupted one.

No need to buy a new chip.

Cheers!

Edited by rafadr - 06 Mar 2018 at 6:55pm
enorbet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enorbet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:18pm
Greetz
I know this is nearly necro but I'm still using my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 for my Main and it has served me quite well for years but I have much older PCs that work just fine. I'm a bit peeved at this issue for such a ridiculously small thing to make my whole system unreliable. Here's my exact deal.

It began slowly and escalated. First 3 quick beeps followed by a pause and another set of 3. Since that is supposed to be memory issue and I spent a lot extra for Corsair Vengeance hi performance ram, naturally I ran Memtest+ for many hours - No errors. It was common that after a Reset pulse or 3 it would boot and run for months (up 25/7) just fine. Since I have a 1KW UPS it has never suffered spikes or a bad shutdown.. but it kept getting longer (more cvcling, more beeps) any time I did have to reboot. It would, like everyon's here, pause at 4F and recycle... for very long times.

Finally one day the Reset button stopped working altogether! so I cleared CMOS (removed battery too) and then just let it run for around an hour till it finally came up and I successfully Instant Flashed a newer BIOS version. RESET is fixed but that is ALL!

I don't see anything in my Manual about Backup BIOS nor any chips marked so on the board. I don't know how to swap for Backup despite having experience at Hot Swapping BIOS chips back in the day.

TLDR - Where do I find and/or how do I swap for Backup BIOS?

Is it necessary to buy a new CMOS chip?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
enorbet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enorbet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:28pm
Nevermind... I guess this just shows how rattled and pissed off I am. I totally missed this thread is specific to Z87 not Z77... guess Asrock wised up after Z77...kinda. No backup chip for me :(
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:52am
Your BIOS is socketed not soldered so you may be able to get a new BIOS chip from Asrock support. Go here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5265&title=howto-contact-tech-support
However being near 7 years old it may be more than the BIOS that has gone bad.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
enorbet2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enorbet2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 2:16am
Thank you for your reply and useful link, badbri. FWIW I'd be more disappointed than I already am if anything else is bad, considering how I build my systems with superb cooling and the best PSUs protected by 900 watt UPS. Monitoring voltages and temps seems essential to me and my Asrock rarely exceeds 47C though the GPU will hit 56C during heavy loads.

I have many PCs more than twice as old that still run just fine, including a few Socket 7s and even an Asus Slot 1. I'm typing this from the Asrock Z77 right now. It runs just fine. It's just that if it shuts down it can take upwards of an hour to get past the 4F cycling and it isn't the code that is corrupted since it successfully flashed but to no avail. Something must've physically failed in the chip.

Anyway thank you since I'll likely try replacing that chip.
tamas3232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamas3232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 4:43pm
Hi, i am leaving this here if anyone else now or in the future has the same problem.

I had the exact same issue with my PC what was mentioned, Error Code 15,40,4F. I had a lot of issues with electricity, daily 5-10 power-outfall. I also connected my PC to an Back UPS (APC brand) but i guess it was too late and this sudden powerloss corrupted the BIOS Chip.
I resetted every memory stick, my GPU, only had just the drive connected which has the OS. In my case i has an PCI-E to M.2 SSD adapter(Axagon), with the M.2 NVMe Samsung EVO 1TB SSD.

So, i tried out everything like above mentioned, resetted the CMOS memory, changed the battery too, but it did not solved in my case.

The solution was actually really easy at the end. I placed the BIOS jumper from A to B. After that my PC could boot normally. In the Boot Menu under Tool there is that line "Secure Backup UEFI (B->A)". I clicked on it and wrote that after a restart (which occurs automatically) will start the copying process. After the buckup, I resetted the BIOS jumper from B back to A and it started normally as it should. I also made a BIOS Update because of teh mentioned OS drive is an NVMe drive, just the newer 3.40 version has NVMe support, so after I updated that too, everything is fine. I ordered a new BIOS Chip just in case but eventually it turned out that my BIOS Chip did not die.

Have a nice day guys.

Tamas

1. Boot Menu --> Tool

2. Backup Process
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic