ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thumbs Up i5 6600+Cooler Master Hyper TX3i OC info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thumbs Up i5 6600+Cooler Master Hyper TX3i OC info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnightspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thumbs Up i5 6600+Cooler Master Hyper TX3i OC info
    Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 11:13pm
Hi i was wondering if someone here had or could give me some safe overclocking numbers/info since im a total noob at oc :/

I was also wondering if overclocking my cpu with that cooler would be safe for the cpu and other components.

-Artic mx-4
-Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4
-HyperX Fury - DDR4-2400 - 16GB - 4x4GB
-Intel Core i5-6600
-Cooler Master Hyper TX3i

Sincerely,

Midnightspace

Edited by Midnightspace - 02 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Midnightspace Midnightspace wrote:

Hi i was wondering if someone here had or could give me some safe overclocking numbers/info since im a total noob at oc :/

I was also wondering if overclocking my cpu with that cooler would be safe for the cpu and other components.

-Artic mx-4
-Intel Core i5-6600

Sincerely,

Midnightspace

First, you say you have an Intel Core i5-6600? Is that an i5-6600K, or just i5-6600?

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/88396/Intel-Core-i5-6600-Desktop-Processor-Series#@Desktop

If you do NOT have an i5-6600K, then over clocking will be more difficult. We really need to know which processor you have.

The i5-6600 non-K processor is not over clocking unlocked, as it is called. You might be able to do what is called a BCLK over clock, but that is more difficult, and has limitations. For example, with a BCLK over clock, you must have a separate video card, as the Intel integrated graphics will not work when the BCLK setting is changed to cause an over clock.

The Cooler Master Hyper TX3i is not a high performance CPU cooler. Better than the stock cooler, but won't allow a high over clock without CPU temperatures being an issue.

Your PC case, and the airflow into and out of the case will also determine how effective your CPU cooler will work. That includes the number and type/size of fans in the PC case, and their locations. Also, a video card will put heat into the PC case, and without proper ventilation, will make it harder to keep the CPU cool.

We need to know which CPU you have, and the other things I mentioned before we can proceed.
Midnightspace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnightspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 12:06am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

-Artic mx-4
-Intel Core i5-6600

Sincerely,

Midnightspace

First, you say you have an Intel Core i5-6600? Is that an i5-6600K, or just i5-6600?

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/88396/Intel-Core-i5-6600-Desktop-Processor-Series#@Desktop

If you do NOT have an i5-6600K, then over clocking will be more difficult. We really need to know which processor you have.

The i5-6600 non-K processor is not over clocking unlocked, as it is called. You might be able to do what is called a BCLK over clock, but that is more difficult, and has limitations. For example, with a BCLK over clock, you must have a separate video card, as the Intel integrated graphics will not work when the BCLK setting is changed to cause an over clock.

The Cooler Master Hyper TX3i is not a high performance CPU cooler. Better than the stock cooler, but won't allow a high over clock without CPU temperatures being an issue.

Your PC case, and the airflow into and out of the case will also determine how effective your CPU cooler will work. That includes the number and type/size of fans in the PC case, and their locations. Also, a video card will put heat into the PC case, and without proper ventilation, will make it harder to keep the CPU cool.

We need to know which CPU you have, and the other things I mentioned before we can proceed.

Ill list my pc specs down below and im not really looking for a insane OC :)

Case : Cooler Master CM 690 III
PSU : Cooler Master VS Series V650 Semi Modular
GPU : MSI GTX 1080 - Armor OC - 8GB GDDR5
CPU : Intel Core i5-6600 NON K

I got 1 big fan (not sure about how many mm's) in the front and a 140mm fan in the back, PSU is fan face down and cpu cooler is fan face up + i have a spare 120mm fan laying around i could plug into the mobo if needed.

( I'm also thinking of upgrading my cpu cooler in the near future to maybe a better aircooler or a not to expensive closed water loop cooler )

Edited by Midnightspace - 03 Oct 2016 at 12:56am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnightspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 8:18am
Btw @parsec, could you maybe suggest me some not too overly expensive air/closed water loop coolers?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm

Ill list my pc specs down below and im not really looking for a insane OC :)

Case : Cooler Master CM 690 III
PSU : Cooler Master VS Series V650 Semi Modular
GPU : MSI GTX 1080 - Armor OC - 8GB GDDR5
CPU : Intel Core i5-6600 NON K

I got 1 big fan (not sure about how many mm's) in the front and a 140mm fan in the back, PSU is fan face down and cpu cooler is fan face up + i have a spare 120mm fan laying around i could plug into the mobo if needed.

( I'm also thinking of upgrading my cpu cooler in the near future to maybe a better aircooler or a not to expensive closed water loop cooler )

So you have an Intel i5-6600 non-K processor. That means you cannot over clock your CPU in the standard way. If you did not have a 'Z' type board, like your Z170, you could not over clock at all.

It is more difficult to over clock without a 'K' type processor, particularly if you are a "total noob", as you said you are. You must over clock by adjusting the BCLK (Base Clock) and the CPU core multipliers. It makes no difference if you want to do an "insane OC" or not, it is not as simple as over clocking with a K type processor.

There is a major limitation when doing a BCLK over clock. The Intel integrated graphics will not work, after the BCLK setting is changed significantly, which is needed to do a BCLK over clock.

That means you must have a video card in the PC to do a BCLK over clock. You did not list a video card in your component list. Do you use the Intel integrated graphics, or use a video card?

About CPU coolers, whatever low priced AIO liquid coolers are available where you live will be fine. They are all almost identical except for appearance.

For an air CPU cooler, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a good choice, at a low price:

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

The new Cryorig coolers are very good, such as this one:

http://www.cryorig.com/h7_us.php

Until we know if you have a video card or not, I don't know if it matters to try explaining BCLK over clocking to you. Have you used the Advanced Mode option in the UEFI/BIOS for your board yet? Have you looked at the OC Tweaker screen? Do you understand the idea of a CPU core multiplier and how it is related to the BCLK value, to produce a CPU speed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnightspace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 8:10am
Oh sorry for not listing my GPU. 

I am running a MSI GTX 1080 - Armor OC - 8GB GDDR5

I have checked the advanced menu and the oc tweaker settings before and i somewhat understand them but i dont understand them enough to know what save values would be if that makes any sense :)

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:50pm
Found a guide for you that should help. Please read it and also go into the UEFI/BIOS of your board to find the options discussed in the guide.

You MUST be in the Advanced Mode of the UEFI to do a OC. That button is on the upper right corner of the EZ Mode screen.

http://overclocking.guide/asrock-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

If you have any questions after reading and trying to use that guide, let us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic