ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PCIe SSD Can't boot Windows 10 on Asrock Z77 Pro3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCIe SSD Can't boot Windows 10 on Asrock Z77 Pro3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsaad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCIe SSD Can't boot Windows 10 on Asrock Z77 Pro3
    Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:54am
Hey,

I recently purchased the "Toshiba OCZ RD400 Series Solid State Drive PCIe NVMe M.2 256GB" from Amazon

And for the life of me I can't boot windows 10 on this SSD!!

I followed the online guide with disabling the CSM feature in the bios.

I used the Microsoft creation tool for the windows 10 installation media and installed windows 10 using the UEFI usb installation media.

Now I can see the ssd in the windows installation setup and it installs perfectly after deleting the ssd partitions.

But right after the setup completes fully, it restarts and the ssd does not show up as a bootable drive. It just never shows up in the bios.

Only the usb installation media shows in the bios.

I even called Asrock tech support and "John" sent me a custom bios he uses for the Samsung 950 Pro PCIe SSD and said it should work.

But I get the same result.

Please can anyone help!!!

The ssd is shown in my computer when I boot to windows 10 off of my HDD and I even tested the read/write speed and do see the ludicrous speeds of 2000 MB/sec

samsaad1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsaad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:13am
samsaad1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsaad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 10:14am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm
I'll explain a few things first, but read the entire post, their MIGHT be some hope for you.

Your board's UEFI does not support NVMe. It does not have a UEFI update that supports NVMe.

A board's UEFI MUST support NVMe, or an NVMe SSD cannot be used as the OS/boot drive.

Generally speaking, Z97, X99, and newer Intel chipset mother boards are capable of supporting NVMe. Only Intel Z170 and the other Intel 100 series mother boards have NVMe compatible UEFI versions out of the box. Z97 and X99 boards must have a UEFI version installed that includes NVMe support, except for the very few newly released ASRock X99 boards.

Boards with chipsets older than Z97 (ie, Z87, Z77, etc) will not have NVMe support. ASRock tried a Beta UEFI for their Z77 Exteme4 board with NVMe support, which barely works, but that experiment showed them it was not practical on that system.

The few PCIe AHCI SSDs, like the Samsung AHCI SM951, and Plextor M6e, will work with your board, since they are not NVMe SSDs.

Also, the Samsung 950 Pro, while an NVMe SSD, has a feature the RD400 apparently does not have. The 950 Pro has its own built in Option ROM, that allows it to work with the beta BIOS sent to you by ASRock.

Questions for you, when you booted your Windows 10 installation USB media, with CSM set to Disabled (right?), did you select the entry in the Boot order for the USB drive that had, "UEFI:" as the prefix before the flash drives name?

If you did and it still failed, then it seems the RD400 does not have the feature the 950 Pro does.

If you did not select the "UEFI:" entry in the boot order for your USB installation media, then that was a mistake.

After Win 10 was installed, the Boot order entry for the RD400 will be "Windows Boot Manager". If you did not select that entry, then you selected the wrong entry for booting the RD400.
zttk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zttk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:22am

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. I just bought a Toshiba OCZ RD400 Series Solid State Drive PCIe NVMe M.2 1024GB ssd and put it into an PCIE card in my ASROCK Z77 extreme4. I followed strictly the instructions and managed to boot into UEFI USB, from which I managed to install Win-10. Installed onto GPT partition, all good. However when the installation is finished my computer just reboots and asks for a boot device. No windows boot option is available in the boot menu.

Can you please help in any way? Any ideas what else I could try?

And yes I have the 2.9 bios supporting nvme and also UEFI install from USD. No other drives are connected. I tried installing without adding the RD400 driver during the installation and including it as well.

Many thanks,

Tamás 
zttk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zttk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:24am
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to find a solution?

Many Thanks,
Tamás
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic