ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 extreme 4 cannot enter UEFI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 12:57am
Mich,  please read my post above, I edited it instead of making new post. 

asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:01am
Originally posted by michealo michealo wrote:

Originally posted by odiebugs odiebugs wrote:

Let me just answer one thing then take a look at the rest.

The RAID setup has nothing to do with UEFI, you hit CTRL I, is the way you enter the Intel option ROM.

JFYI.  

thanks, something is definitely wrong with my setup then as i never see the CTRL+I option any longer after enabling fast boot.  from pushing the power button, the LCD stays in sleep mode until windows login screen appears.

i believe i tried this process with the LCD plugged into the on board DVI adpator instead of my GTX670 but was same result.  will have to add it to testing process.

When booting, you should see the Option Rom Version, and see the attached RAID set, then you see the MOBO options for entering UEFI, booting.

In a Ultra fast mode, you don't see anything but windows booting.  

I'm still at a loss as to why your fast boot is acting like a Ultra fast boot.  

Will wait till you read back through my posts and see what you say.  
asrocking
michealo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:16am

understood, thanks.
agreed no 'ultra fast boot' on the z77.
however, the 'fast boot' option being enabled should still give me POST screen and RAID/UEFI prompts?   
this is rather puzzling and indeed seems like fast boot is behaving like ultra fast boot, as you mentioned.
i have the extreme 4 version if that makes any difference.

Edited by michealo - 10 Jul 2015 at 1:17am
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 1:32am
Originally posted by michealo michealo wrote:

understood, thanks.
agreed no 'ultra fast boot' on the z77.
however, the 'fast boot' option being enabled should still give me POST screen and RAID/UEFI prompts?   
this is rather puzzling and indeed seems like fast boot is behaving like ultra fast boot, as you mentioned.
i have the extreme 4 version if that makes any difference.
Glad you checked back.  Will wait a little while to see if we get a heads up on someone with Z77, if not I can check to see if this is due to two factors, one being a UEFI change, or not all boards are having this scenario.  But will take a while to get an answer from techs.
asrocking
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 8:15am
Sorry if I don't see it in the posts, What is your OS and what is the UEFI / BIOS version ? 

Need to know.

Can you go to the Z97 extreme 4 page, go to download and win 8,  look at utilities and look for the Restart to UEFI 1.0.5 .

Install it on your system  and see if the App works after setting fast boot.

^^^^ EDIT--  I checked with someone who has the same board and they said they have the three options for fast boot- Disabled, Fast, Ultra fast.  Please once you get in can you "" triple check "" to see if all three are there.   They must be.  If you have triple checked and the Ultra is really missing, you should try reflashing the BIOS/ UEFI.  

I can't remember which version you have but you could flash the newest 2.90,  and see if this was corrected.

Edited by odiebugs - 10 Jul 2015 at 11:07pm
asrocking
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 11:08pm
michealo, what UEFI/BIOS version are you using on your Z77 Extreme4?

The Fast Boot option should have three settings, Disabled, Fast, and Ultra Fast. If you don't have those three settings then your UEFI is not up to date.

The Restart to UEFI program exists to work with Windows 8/8.1 when using the Ultra Fast setting. But the Restart to UEFI program can be used by anyone using Win 8/8.1 regardless of the Fast Boot setting. The Restart to UEFI program uses a feature that is built into Windows 8/8.1 that causes the automatic restart into the UEFI/BIOS UI.

It sounds like you have Secure Boot enabled, or CSM disabled. Either of those settings requires the Win 8/8.1 installation to be using the EFI boot loader, and the video source to be GOP compatible. You would likely see the 62 POST code if your video source is not GOP compatible. Either of these settings also causes Ctrl I to no longer work, and the Intel RAID Option ROM UI will be found as an option in the UEFI, in the Advanced screen. My Win 8.1 installations are configured to use the EFI boot loader, so I am familiar with this situation.

You will need at least UEFI version 2.10 for all of the above to be compatible with Win 8/8.1, and be using the Intel integrated graphics.

michealo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 2:53am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

michealo, what UEFI/BIOS version are you using on your Z77 Extreme4?

The Fast Boot option should have three settings, Disabled, Fast, and Ultra Fast. If you don't have those three settings then your UEFI is not up to date.

The Restart to UEFI program exists to work with Windows 8/8.1 when using the Ultra Fast setting. But the Restart to UEFI program can be used by anyone using Win 8/8.1 regardless of the Fast Boot setting. The Restart to UEFI program uses a feature that is built into Windows 8/8.1 that causes the automatic restart into the UEFI/BIOS UI.

It sounds like you have Secure Boot enabled, or CSM disabled. Either of those settings requires the Win 8/8.1 installation to be using the EFI boot loader, and the video source to be GOP compatible. You would likely see the 62 POST code if your video source is not GOP compatible. Either of these settings also causes Ctrl I to no longer work, and the Intel RAID Option ROM UI will be found as an option in the UEFI, in the Advanced screen. My Win 8.1 installations are configured to use the EFI boot loader, so I am familiar with this situation.

You will need at least UEFI version 2.10 for all of the above to be compatible with Win 8/8.1, and be using the Intel integrated graphics.

I reapplied 2.90 BIOS from instant flash instead of doing it through the windows app, perhaps that was an issue.
Afraid i don't know how to tell what UEFI version i have installed.

i'm happy to report however that things are back to normal.
i see the POST/ctrl+i screens now and everything else seems ok

thanks all for the assist

Edited by michealo - 12 Jul 2015 at 2:54am
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:49am

You have the 2.90 UEFI, you don't have a BIOS,  BIOS are the past. I know the download page say BIOS.

The reason you can enter everything, is because the setting for fast and ultra boot option is disabled by default, so when you reflashed the UEFI, you're not in fast or Ultra mode.  Fast mode won't stop you from seeing either, only Ultra mode goes right to windows boot. 

Edited by odiebugs - 12 Jul 2015 at 6:51am
asrocking
michealo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote michealo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 9:32am

You have the 2.90 UEFI, you don't have a BIOS,  BIOS are the past. I know the download page say BIOS.

The reason you can enter everything, is because the setting for fast and ultra boot option is disabled by default, so when you reflashed the UEFI, you're not in fast or Ultra mode.  Fast mode won't stop you from seeing either, only Ultra mode goes right to windows boot. 

it's still puzzling me how i was getting a 'ultra fast boot' behavior though for some time even though it shouldn't have on my Z77 extreme 4.
i quote enjoyed how fast windows booted and wish i could make it happen again now that i replaced the failed RAID drive but oh well, i'm due for an upgrade soon anyways

thanks

Edited by michealo - 12 Jul 2015 at 9:33am
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 10:32am
This the 2.10 BIOS /UEFI update.

1. Support Windows 8.
2. Modify ASMedia SATA3 can't detect HDD when CSM disable.
3. Add i7-2700K to CPU EZ OC, Advance Turbo 30 and Power Saving Mode support list.

Note: "Ultra Fast" is only supported by below conditions.
1. OS is Windows 8.
2. Graphics supports UEFI GOP.

Edited by odiebugs - 12 Jul 2015 at 10:34am
asrocking
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic