ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

J3455-ITX does not boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sndlnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J3455-ITX does not boot
    Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:29pm
Hello everybody,

does anyone also encounters following problem:

The moment, when the psu is connected to the wall, the board tries to boot (PSU fan starts to rotate permanently and also hearable, because the HDDs starting to drive). But there is no POST, no bios, no video signal (HDMI), no keyboard. LEDs at the LAN connector stay dark, even with connected LAN cable.

The power-pins are NOT connected by jump-wire to a button or anything.
I have tried with any combinations of hardware. Problems stays the same:

RAM (tried every slot, single, dual):
Crucial DDR3 8GB CT102464BF186D.M16FP, 1 module
Kingston DDR3 8GB KVR16LS11/8, 1 module

PSU
Seasonic SS-330
Supermicro PWS-202-1H

Removing the BIOS battery like described in the guide http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal does not work.

There are no visible damages, shorts or anything on the board. Anyone ever observed an similar behaviour? And yes, the latest BIOS version is flashed.

Edited by sndlnk - 11 Dec 2016 at 8:31pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:28pm
1. Pull the MB from the case and with a minimal build see if it runs

2. Check that your cases wiring that leads to the MB's System Panel header are indeed correct.
sndlnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sndlnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 10:52pm
The board is not attached to the case in anyway. Not a single wire from the case is connected to the board.
It is just the board, RAM and PSU.

Even with this minimal build at least I expected to see POST or the BIOS. But unfortunately there is nothing, no video signal, no LAN detection. Usually the LEDS of the keyboard would turn on, but even they are dead. Ouch
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 11:57pm
Do the fans spin up?

Is the NIC lighting up?

Is the Crucial memory compatible with this board?
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/advisor?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-memory-_-us-memory-advisor
sndlnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sndlnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:31am
Like I have written in the first post:

- The PSU fan spins up, yes
- NIC does NOT lighten up, no
- According to ASRock the crucial memory is compatible: CT102464BF186D.M16FP (http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3455-ITX/index.de.asp?cat=Memory), first one on the list.

Also the alternative memory i tried does not solve the problem: Kingston KVR16LS11/8 which is also in the compatible list of ASRock

If no one ever encountered the same issues or has any clue, I guess the only option for me is to return the board.

But thank you for your attention.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:52am
Has it worked previously or is it new? I would return it if possible. DOA boards happen on occasion and if it isn't the board then the next one will exhibit the same symptoms, at least you will have the peace of mind that you returned/replaced it.
sndlnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sndlnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 2:59am
I have bougth the board 2 weeks ago and in the first few days i have installed win 10 as OS. Everything was fine in the first week.

About a few days later after a regular shutdown the problem started. I could get the system running one or two times by removing the BIOS batter over night as written in the guide, but since 2 days ago it does not work anymore.

klampfenfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klampfenfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:48am
Same story with my new Asrock j3455-itx. Tried 3 different compatible RAM modules in every combination. Also another power supply. Only one time in this period I had a picture and got into BIOS. (Display showing several starting error. Never happened again. No picture via VGA nor HDMI. No nothing. Only the CPU fan runs when I connect the power chord. I also can't power of the machine. When I long press the power button, fan goes slowly and starts spinning again. Today I returned the board to my dealer for exchange. Hope the new one will work. 1 week of stress getting components for testing, to finaly realise that the board has to be corrupt.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 12:27pm
The processor used in this board, the Intel J3455, is an ultra-low power device, that supports up to the C10 C State power saving setting, that is otherwise only found in mobile/laptop PC processors, that use battery power.

Like the earlier Haswell generation desktop processors that supported the C7 C State, the J3455 is even more of a difficult load for a PSU. That is, the load on the 12V rail for the processor VRM stage could go so low, the PSU could see a virtual zero load on the +12V rail, become unstable, go out of ATX voltage spec on the +12V rail (normally over spec), and either shut off or function abnormally. User reviews of this board mention additional loads on the PSU help with its stability.

Any PSU that is not at least rated for Intel Haswell/C7 use will likely not work well with that processor, unless certain precautions are taken. Meaning any PSU over three years old in its design will need these precautions.

That is, a load must be put on the PSU's +12V rail from another source. Connecting a fan to the CPU Fan header is a good start. If SSDs or 2.5" HDDs are used with this board, they only use +5V power, so don't load the +12V rail at all. Only 3.5" SATA HDDs use the +12V rail, and the Intel 730 model SSDs. Connecting a case fan directly to the PSU via a molex connector will load the +12V rail enough.

Otherwise, in the BIOS, CPU Configuration screen, set the Power Gear option to Normal or Sport. Set the CPU C States support to no lower than C7 as an initial test, and if that fails use C6. The C10 C State seems to be the default setting. The passive CPU heat sink will need some air circulation, where the case fans will come in handy.

I also suggest updating to the latest BIOS version.
Fudozzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fudozzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 3:06pm
Good Morning Everyone.

I have a question about this post, i've encountered exactly the same issue with my new board.
I only wanted to know if replacing the board was the correct solution. After i've read the last answer here i've tried with a haswell certificated PSU, but no luck at all.

Thank You.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic