ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99E ITX/AC and Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeMamma!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99E ITX/AC and Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD
    Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:08am
I am building a new PC with the x99E ITX/AC and wondered if anyone has tried using a Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD with it? I looked at other forum posts for ASRock MBs using the Samsung XP941 (previous version) with success. The product user manual does list the SM951 as a supported module so I guess the real question is are there any issues encountered when using an M.2 SSD on this board minus a possible bios update. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by JoeMamma!! - 09 Jul 2015 at 2:22am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 2:36am
Yes, you should be able to use the SM951 as a boot device with the X99E ITX/AC. If memory serves it does not even require a bios update as it is a new model released after the SM951. There is one update available to add support for larger memory modules however.
Jcannon83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcannon83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:26am
Should I create a new thread? I didnt want to clutter the place up with the same issues.#

Xaltar, I can't install CPUz as I haven't got windows running just yet, Literally just turning the machine on the first time tonight.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:30am
I made you your own thread here and posted some instructions that are now moot as you have no OS installed yet.... lol
JoeMamma!! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeMamma!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 7:00am
Thanks Xaltar. Since my SM951 is the 512gb version I may need to update the bios. Do you know if it is hard to update the bios on the ASRock upfront without having an OS installed? This is a new build.

I am thinking about installing the M.2, powering up the computer and update bios before installing windows. Does this sound right?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:55am
The SM951 should work on your board out of the box, the only difference between the different capacity drives is well, capacity. They use the same controller setup so you should be able to boot with it right off the bat. The easiest way to check is to hit F11 at post, if the drive is listed in the boot menu there is no need to update Wink

Updating the bios is quick and painless, just follow the instructions on the download page, there is an icon with a red medical looking cross on it in line with each bios version, clicking it will take you to an instruction page for that bios format. You will want the one for instant flash.
JoeMamma!! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeMamma!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:48pm
Hi Xaltar 

I finished assembling my system, stuck my bootable windows 7 thumb drive in and booted right up. It loaded Windows right away on the SM951 right away. Thanks for your help and your advice. 

Right now the only issue is that the 16gb of memory installed is only showing up as 8gb in Windows. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 5:10pm
That is pretty odd, is it showing as 16gb in BIOS? I assume you are using a 4x4gb kit?

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Jul 2015 at 5:11pm
Foosking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foosking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 11:52pm
It cant be 4x4gb as it only has 2 ram slots.

(yes I joined the forum to correct you)

I am building a similar system and noticed on the storage support list for this mb there are no M.2 SSD's listed hence google brought me here.
I rather use the Intel 750 but dont have an open slot since I am using it for a video card.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 12:00am
Thanks for the correction Foosking, I guess I saw X99 and my brain said quad channel.....

If you are wanting to install both an PCIE SSD and a GPU then this thread may be of interest to you.

@JoeMamma! Have you tested each RAM module individually to be sure both are working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic