ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Athlon x4 845 + FM2A58M-VG3 R 2.0 not posting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComputerCraze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Athlon x4 845 + FM2A58M-VG3 R 2.0 not posting?
    Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 9:35pm
I have just upgraded to a new case and an athlon x4 845. The computer fans all run smoothly once I power it on, but there is no video output and no POST. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:15pm
We need full system specs to help you out here Wink

Without that I can only assume. One of the common issues we see with FM2+ Athlons is people not having a dedicated graphics card installed. The "onboard graphics" is part of the CPU and only present on AMD's APUs (A4, A6, A8, A10). With Athlon CPUs you need a separate graphics card installed and cannot use the display outputs on the motherboard. These outputs are not connected to a GPU when an Athlon CPU is installed. 
ComputerCraze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComputerCraze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:24pm
OK, here's full system specs...

400w PSU
Nvidia GT 730
WD 1TB HDD
Athlon x4 845 (upgraded from A6-6400k)
8 gigs RAM (don't have model number on Me at the moment)
ThermalTake core v21

As you can see, there's a dedicated graphics card so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've already tried clearing CMOS by both setting the jumper switch and removing the battery.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:31pm
Great to see, I wasn't looking forward to another conversation about "but the manual says it has onboard graphics" Ouch

OK, my next question is, what BIOS version is printed on the little white sticker on the BIOS chip? The Athlon 845 requires p2.50 or greater for support with that board. AMD can be hit and miss with CPU support, some (most?) revisions are just clock speed improvements and will post even if not supported but in some cases, like Carrizo (the 845) it won't post due to more major changes on the CPU die.

If your BIOS version is not correct for the CPU you can contact ASRock Tech support here:

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp   (copy paste link)

You can order a new BIOS chip, preflashed with the correct BIOS from ASRock directly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComputerCraze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:34pm
Yep, the chip says it's version 1.30. Thank you!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:45pm
Happy to help and Merry Christmas Party

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComputerCraze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 11:49pm
OK, so I tried to put my old CPU back in to see if I could flash the BIOS myself. It is still not working, though, even after putting on my old CPU.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 12:25am
The old CPU, was it used in this board before?

Have you tried removing everything except CPU, 1 stick of RAM and power from the board? 

The A6 should not need the dedicated GPU installed.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 12:26am
Oh and yes, if you can update the BIOS using the old CPU you should be golden Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic