ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 (Taichi) - only seeing 48 of 64GB installed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 (Taichi) - only seeing 48 of 64GB installed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:21am
Originally posted by mrmattk mrmattk wrote:

Went to a completely vanilla BIOS (fresh off the "plug out, CMOS clear button pressed") and set those two advanced memory settings suggested by parsec (MRC fast boot disabled, memory test enabled).

It's super unstable. Freezes up in windows with no stress on the machine.

I ran memtest86 and it froze up. Next boot, only 48GB. Did the complete CMOS reset, still only 48GB.

So I assume this indicates either the RAM of the D1 DIMM slot are bad. Still don't know how to get to the bottom of it.

Is there a better set of RAM I should buy? If I don't care about overclocking but want 64GB and a stable machine, what would you buy?

You lost me here. Did all this happen after trying to run the memory at 3000? Using the XMP profile?

Or was still at 2400? That is not clear to me at all.

So it went from working fine at 2400, with all 64GB recognized, back to 48GB and instability? That happened after you disabled MRC Fast Boot and enabled Memory Test?

What was the difference between the completely vanilla BIOS, and setting those two memory options, that only have an affect during POST, in contrast to what you were using before that with the BIOS settings?

Plus I thought it was the D4 slot that was being stubborn, not the D1 slot.

Please, you must be completely specific about what happened. Confused
mrmattk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmattk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:43am
It's always been the D1 slot. the slots are A1 B1 C1 D1 and A2 B2 C2 D2. I'm populating A1 through D1. D1 intermittently recognizes the memory. Always sees it in System browser, but only intermittently shows up in the BIOS and is recognized as memory. Voltage defaults to 1.2V when in DDR2400 model.

It seems I get one boot right after CMOS reset where all 4 DIMMs show up, then a crash / freeze and on reboot only A1 through C1 show up as memory.

Even if I shuffle the memory into different slots, same pattern of events.

------------------------------------------------

Here are the order of events from last night:

Last night I reset the CMOS. Went into BIOS, turned off MRC Fast Boot, Turned on Memory test.

All 64GB showed up in BIOS and Windows. (I declared victory!)

I then rebooted to BIOS, set the memory to the first XMP profile (DDR3000). Wouldn't boot.

Reset CMOS again. Set 2 memory settings in BIOS. So back to DDR2400. All 64GB shows up.

Booted from USB and ran memtestx86 on 64GB of RAM. Froze.

Rebooted. Booted from USB and ran memtestx86 again - but only on 48GB of RAM.
mrmattk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmattk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 2:13am
Here's what I've decided to do...

1. I've ordered new RAM (Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 64 GB Kit CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory (HX424C15FBK4/64))

2. I've ordered a new motherboard that's compatible with the memory and the M.2 storage I bought. It's not an ASRock motherboard this time.

3. I set up a return for the Taichi and the original Kingston memory. I don't have to send it until Feb 1st.

I'll test the new memory on the Taichi motherboard and see how it works. If it works, I'll send back the original memory. If it doesn't work, I'll try the new motherboard.

I'll report back with results.

Happy to try other solutions if you think of them in the meantime - new mobo and memory won't arrive for 2 days.
mrmattk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmattk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:20am
New memory arrived today. I plugged it into the Taichi and it still only recognized 48 of 64 GB. I've decided to return the motherboard and replace it with an MSI X99A Tomahawk which has worked out of the box.

I'll assume it was a defect with my motherboard and not all Taichi motherboards.

For the record, I tried to send in for technical support through the ASRock website and I never had a reply.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate that time that other users have put into the community here.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 2:47pm
Ok, we understand and can't blame you.

Sorry to hear you never heard from ASRock support.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic