ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x99 fatality bios Broadwell E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discotunax99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock x99 fatality bios Broadwell E
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 2:47pm
Hi Folks,
I was hoping these boards would ship with a newer bios version so I opened the NewEgg box (which renders the board non-returnable) and I got P1.4, which doesn't support my new Broadwell E 6800k proc.
According to the cpu support table, I need P3.1.

Since I don't have a compatible processor on hand to run the board and update the bios properly
I contacted tech support, but haven't gotten a response yet since the holidays.

I guess I need to obtain an updated bios chip and replace it manually from what I've gathered from several searches. I don't see this as a potential obstacle, it just adds more time to wait for it to be mailed and perhaps a separate charge for the service.

Has anyone experienced the same or similar conundrum?
How long was the shipping time and has it worked out for you to replace the chip?
I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, Patrick

zabooka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zabooka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 2:48am
i have the x99x killer and the 6800k and had the same problem.
had to buy a bios chip and switched it.
anyway, dont know if this has anything to do with it, but i posted my own thread, that my computer takes now 1.47min until i can enter the bios..
i just bought everything new so im just one step further than you but not more happy.
Aristoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 7:13am
Yes , you figured out the problem. That is half the battle. Same problem exactly that I had. I had the x99m killer with BIOS 1.90. J Z on this forum said I needed the updated BIOS 3.1 etc. I was lucky. I got a computer whiz, locally , here to program my BIOS. I took it out of the motherboard easily. Brought it to his house and he programed it. Worked perfectly. Unlike the other poster above. I have excellent boot times. 20 seconds all in. Can you find someone who will program your BIOS chip for you?  Otherwise you will have to wait for Tech Support. Unless you an return the board to the store? May be they can help you program it by using a 5XXX CPU on your board? If you do contact tech support, make sure  you request when they will be sending it to you and how long it will take.

Best

Originally posted by discotunax99 discotunax99 wrote:

Hi Folks,
I was hoping these boards would ship with a newer bios version so I opened the NewEgg box (which renders the board non-returnable) and I got P1.4, which doesn't support my new Broadwell E 6800k proc.
According to the cpu support table, I need P3.1.

Since I don't have a compatible processor on hand to run the board and update the bios properly
I contacted tech support, but haven't gotten a response yet since the holidays.

I guess I need to obtain an updated bios chip and replace it manually from what I've gathered from several searches. I don't see this as a potential obstacle, it just adds more time to wait for it to be mailed and perhaps a separate charge for the service.

Has anyone experienced the same or similar conundrum?
How long was the shipping time and has it worked out for you to replace the chip?
I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, Patrick

discotunax99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discotunax99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:35pm
Newegg only offered to rma the unopened box and the number to call AsRock. 
AsRock tech support is closed until January 3rd.
I ordered a pre-programmed bios chip here:

It's a German company and he already shipped it out.
I'll post back when I received it.

Thanks for your input.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discotunax99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 11:33am
Update!
I received an updated bios chip from the link I posted (took 10 days to ship to TN over the holiday weekend). It was easy to exchange with the extraction pliers and everything works now.
AsRock contacted me after their holiday break and offered to mail a bios chip. I received it within a week.

There are two snags I still have to work on.
1. Only the intel NIC works, the other one can't start.
2. Creative cinema 3 doesn't recognize my audio device, so no equalizer to fine tune klipsch 2.1 sound.

I'm pretty happy with the system. It boots in less than 15 seconds.

Cheers!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by discotunax99 discotunax99 wrote:

Update!
I received an updated bios chip from the link I posted (took 10 days to ship to TN over the holiday weekend). It was easy to exchange with the extraction pliers and everything works now.
AsRock contacted me after their holiday break and offered to mail a bios chip. I received it within a week.

There are two snags I still have to work on.
1. Only the intel NIC works, the other one can't start.
2. Creative cinema 3 doesn't recognize my audio device, so no equalizer to fine tune klipsch 2.1 sound.

I'm pretty happy with the system. It boots in less than 15 seconds.

Cheers!

Your thread title just has Asrock x99 fatality in it, and no other mention of the mother board model. There are seven ASRock X99 boards that have Fatal1ty in their model name, so not sure which one you have.

I'm guessing the non-functioning network chip is the Qualcomm® Atheros® Killer??E2200 LAN chip?

Did you install its driver? No idea which version of Windows you are using, but the built in networking drivers in the Windows version you are using apparently cannot be used with that chip.

Have you checked the Device Manager entry for the E2200 LAN chip?

Virtually zero system details, not sure which X99 board you have, etc. So hard to provide help.

To answer your first post, yes your situation is common. Intel has not been able to work around the need to update the CPU microcode with a CPU of the previous generation in the board to do so. The only other method is changing the BIOS chip, as you did yourself. X99 is not the first Intel system that has this issue, and probably won't be the last.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discotunax99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 12:06pm
Hi Parsec,
It's the fatal1ty professional Gaming I7 board. Socket 2011 v3
Yes, the Atheros LAN chip is the culprit. Device manager entry is:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I installed the drivers shortly after the Windows 10 installation.

System details:

anotherdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anotherdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 8:36am
I've bought a x99 Fatality Gaming i7 & Broadwell E 6800k in october of last year for a new system build.
(I just checked, the bios is 1.40)
The system has been working fine except for random boot issues - i often have to restart a couple times before windows will start booting (it just hangs at the red asrock screen)
Do you think it's a related issue? 
Thank you for your time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discotunax99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 12:11pm
You should definitely update your bios to 3.1.
Look here:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discotunax99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:31am
Hey all,
So the board made it through almost six years with a seasonic ps.
We've had a lot of power outages lately and now it does not post anymore.
The fans run for a second and than it shuts off and repeat.
I tested the ps and it checked out, replaced the ps with a brand new one and it won't post with or without gpu.
Is there anything else I could do before I write it off and build a new one?

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic