ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Loses Audio on HDMI2 @ 4K

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Loses Audio on HDMI2 @ 4K
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 3:03pm
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me out with something simple I may have missed.
I am losing audio output from the PC when running on HDMI2 @ 4K.
I've read through a few threads similar to my problems, but not quite the same (mostly with display, not audio issues).

My old 1080p TV recently died, so I have upgraded to a 4K TV (Samsung UA55KS8000W).

I had previously had my computer connected via HDMI2 to the old TV, running at 1080p.

On setting up my new TV, I plugged in the computer using the same port and cable to the new TV.
The resolution updated to 4K (3840 ? 2160), all good.
I updated the refresh rate to 60p Hz in the Intel Graphics Properties and all looked good.
Watching a video for a while, I noticed that every 10-15mins the audio cut out for a second and then came back. Thought it was weird, so started looking into it.

I then noticed that if I left it for a while (turn off the TV and come back, or watch TV input and come back), I would still get the video from the PC, however audio completely stopped working. It's as though the PC just decides to stop sending audio over HDMI if not used for a while.
Looking at the Playback Devices for the TV in Sound, the green bars move which indicates that it thinks it is playing audio, but nothing comes out the TV speakers.
Restarting the TV doesn't change anything.
Turning the PC off and then booting up again, the sound does come back temporarily.

What I have tried:
HDMI2 4K at 60p Hz - audio stops working
HDMI2 4K at 30p Hz - audio stops working
HDMI1 4K at 30p Hz - I have no issues at all - audio appears to be fine.
I also tried disabling Realtek High Definition Audio under Sound, video and game controllers in device manager, but this didn't change anything.
I switched HDMI cables, and got the same result using two different cables.
I switched HDMI ports on the TV, and got the same result.
My computer is set to never sleep, and the screen turns off after 20 minutes.

I updated all of the drivers and UEFI when this started happening, but it hasn't made any difference.
UEFI: 7.10 (I was running 1.80 and getting the same problems) Maybe I need to try a version in between?
Intel HD Graphics 530 Driver: 21.20.16.4542 (24/10/2016)
Intel Display Audio Driver: 10.22.0.96 (5/10/2016)
HDMI Firmware (using the updater): 1.36

PC Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac (onboard graphics)
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
PSU: Silverstone 600W ST60F-PS Power Supply, 80Plus Silver
M.2 NVME: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD
3 other 3.5" HDDs

I've done some reading and it looks like HDMI2 has a different manufacturer than HDMI1.
But only HDMI2 can give me 4K @ 60p Hz, so I would rather 60p Hz than keep 30p Hz on HDMI1.

I am not sure why the audio completely cuts out on HDMI2, while it is fine on HDMI1.

Is anyone able to suggest what I am missing?
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 6:42pm
OK I managed to find out the fix. Audio is now working on HDMI2 4K at 60Hz.
Turns out I didn't have the latest version of the HDMI firmware.
I was running on v1.36, however updating to v1.48 has resolved the issues.

I missed this, as the ASRock download page listed the date the HDMI firmware updater was updated was 9/9/2015. 
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming-ITXac/?cat=Download&os=Win1064
I hadn't built my computer until Feb 2016, I thought that I had already downloaded the latest HDMI firmware updater. Turns out that that date on the website is incorrect and there was a newer firmware.

1.36 BIN file date: 26 October 2015
1.48 BIN file date: 10 March 2016

All working now. :D

Edited by hiluke - 11 Jan 2017 at 6:42pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:30pm
Thanks for posting back with your solution Thumbs Up
tyeh101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyeh101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2017 at 10:07am
I have the similar audio and random disconnect issue on HDMI 2.0 port though it worked at 4K@60Hz nicely. After I saw this posting, I found my HDMI firmware was 1.36, then I updated it to 1.48. Now the HDMI 2.0 port no longer works at 4K@60Hz! 

SONY XBR55X930D will show scrambled screen for couple seconds then disconnected if I select 4K@59Hz or 4K@60Hz. But it works with 4K@30Hz (using Teamviewer to change the refresh rate). Before the firmware update, I just did a clean Windows 10 installation with the latest drives from Asrock website. I run the firmware update tool to check the firmware version and it is 1.48 now for sure.  I uninstalled the driver and updated to the latest Intel HD 530 driver, the result is the same. I even cleared CMOS and disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, the result was the same.

Any suggestion? I saw some posting mention, there are procedures you must follow when you execute the firmware update, like you have to set 4K@30Hz, dual channel memory and connecting to HDMI port 2.0 when executing the update. But I was running 4K@60hz while I executed the update. Is that causing my HDMI 2.0 failing to display in 4K@60hz?

CPU i3 6100T (HD 530)
HD: 128GB Transcend M.2 MST-2280 SSD
Memory: Crucial DDR4-2133 8GB x 2

Edited by tyeh101 - 16 Jan 2017 at 4:18am
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by tyeh101 tyeh101 wrote:

I have the similar audio and random disconnect issue on HDMI 2.0 port though it worked at 4K@60Hz nicely. After I saw this posting, I found my HDMI firmware was 1.36, then I updated it to 1.48. Now the HDMI 2.0 port no longer works at 4K@60Hz!

I did the HDMI Firmware update to 1.48 while connected to HDMI2 4K 60Hz.
I am not sure if that would have caused your problems.

Glad it wasn't just me that had the audio issues though!!

Do you need to set something like "HDMI Deep Color" or "HDMI UHD Color" or "HDMI Enhanced" on your HDMI port input on your TV? Maybe this value reset when the TV picked up the new input source after the firmware update?

EDIT: I am now having other issues with the display not waking up after an extended period (computer has been on the whole time). Will be trying older UEFI versions to see if that works.

Edited by hiluke - 16 Jan 2017 at 1:49pm
tyeh101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyeh101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 1:42am
Yes, I have to configure the HDMI port on TV to be "HDMI Enhanced" in order to support 4K@60Hz. I will change it back to "HDMI standard" then to "HDMI Enhanced" to reset the HDMI port on my TV. Or I might switch to different HDMI 2.0 port on my TV. 

Thanks for your suggestion.  

By the way, as the "the display not waking up after an extended period" issue had been existed for a long time. Sometime it disappeared after an Intel driver update. But I already lost track on this issue. 

Overall, the HDMI 2.0 port on this motherboard is a disaster and never working stable for me. I plan to move the RAID from my NAS to this HTPC. I might give up the HDMI 2.0 port and use Displayport instead. Any known DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter working with this MB?  

Update:
==========================
After "reset" the HDMI port on TV OR switch to different HDMI 2.0 port on my SONY TV, the TV still shows no signal when I select 4K@60Hz.

Edited by tyeh101 - 17 Jan 2017 at 2:11am
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:00am

After "reset" the HDMI port on TV OR switch to different HDMI 2.0 port on my SONY TV, the TV still shows no signal when I select 4K@60Hz.
Hmm sorry, I am not sure what else to try! Maybe setting 59Hz as the refresh rate in the Intel Graphics?

I just noticed that Gigabyte published an updated firmware a few days ago for the MC2800 chip to v1.61 (MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.61.00_LSPCON_MP_SIGNED_CMDB.BIN) - File dated 28 Nov 2016.
Will give this one a go once ASRock update this on their support page. Don't really want to be flashing firmware if not provided/tested by ASRock.

By the way, as the "the display not waking up after an extended period" issue had been existed for a long time. Sometime it disappeared after an Intel driver update. But I already lost track on this issue. 
I have experienced this on UEFI 7.10 and 2.30 so far in the last few days. I have now rolled back to 2.10 to try on that. Will keep going back to see if it happens on them all. It may be a driver issue, but I was having difficulty getting the UEFI to display when using HDMI2 this morning - worked straight away once switching over to HDMI1.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by hiluke hiluke wrote:

I had previously had my computer connected via HDMI2 to the old TV, running at 1080p.

On setting up my new TV, I plugged in the computer using the same port and cable to the new TV.

Is the "old' cable you had a decent cable and rated for 4K?

Something to consider .......
tyeh101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyeh101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:30am
Yes, I bought a brand new HDMI 2.0 cable from Amazon and it did work to show 4K@60Hz with HDMI firmware 1.36. I did try 50Hz and 60Hz. None of them works.

I contacted support of Asrock and they wanted me to send back my board and give me a replacement. I turned down the "offer". Then I asked where I can downgrade to HDMI firmware 1.36 or not. I got reply saying yes. Then I said I don't have the old firmware update tool for 1.36. After a while, I got an email telling me to BIOS download page!!

Did any one try to downgrade their HDMI 2.0 firmware? Or I just have to wait for the latest firmware 1.61?

hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:23am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Is the "old' cable you had a decent cable and rated for 4K?

Thanks - I have a new 4K cable that I can try if rolling back the UEFI doesn't work.

I've had v2.10 of the UEFI on for 24 hours without experiencing the monitor wake problem, but I'll see how it goes over a longer period.

Then I asked where I can downgrade to HDMI firmware 1.36 or not. I got reply saying yes. Then I said I don't have the old firmware update tool for 1.36. After a while, I got an email telling me to BIOS download page!!

Did any one try to downgrade their HDMI 2.0 firmware? Or I just have to wait for the latest firmware 1.61?

I have a copy of the 1.36 firmware from ASRock if you want it. I am not sure if there are any limitations if you try to downgrade it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic