ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Loses Audio on HDMI2 @ 4K

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyeh101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:45am
I already found the HDMI F/W updater for 1.36 but I am still waiting for the email from TS of Asrock to confirm it is doable. Truly speaking, I am not sure the TS of Asrock really understood what is my problem and concerns. 

At the end, I might just get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and leave HDMI 2.0 alone. I already spent too much time to troubleshoot the issues of this HDMI 2.0 port.

Edited by tyeh101 - 19 Jan 2017 at 8:21am
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 2:31pm
Update...

I switched to a brand new 4K rated HDMI cable and experienced exactly the same problems.
Using v1.48+ of the HDMI firmware and the latest Intel graphics drivers (21.20.16.4542), I kept rolling back to earlier versions of the BIOS.
I experienced the same wake issue on BIOS: 7.10, 2.30, 2.10, 2.00 and 1.80.
However, 1.80 was the most stable for me - I could go days without having an issue. I did start to notice a few times that I would lose sound occasionally - the display would wake up, but there was no HDMI audio playback device available. It just reverted to the Realtek playback device, because there was no HDMI audio device listed. Better, but not great.
Restarting the computer or disabling and re-enabling the Intel(R) Display Audio under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in device manager fixes this. Annoying to have to do this every time the sound disappears.
At least a simple restart fixes the audio issue - when losing the display I had to fully shut down the PC and turn it back on.

Anyway ASRock released HDMI firmware v1.61 for this motherboard over the weekend. I upgraded my BIOS to 7.10 again and installed the 1.61 HDMI driver.
So far with this combo after having it on for two and a half days, the display has always woken up, which by this stage on the 7.10 BIOS and 1.48+ firmware I would have usually experienced the wake problem.
However, after having this running for two days, I've experienced the loss of the HDMI audio twice.
To get around this, I've written a batch file which I can run to disable and enable the Intel(R) Display Audio device if this happens.

I have updated the graphics drivers direct from Intel last night to v21.20.16.4590. I'll monitor and see how these go, but nothing in the release notes would indicate it would fix my audio issue.

As a side note - does ASRock TSD exist?
I have raised two tickets and not got a response to either:
3rd Jan - about my initial sound cutting out at 4K (which I found the fix was the HDMI firmware 1.48+ update)
6th Feb - for the display not waking, asking if firmware 1.61 would be released for this board (now appears that HDMI firmware v1.61 may have actually improved, but not fixed the issue)

I don't usually have to contact the support desks so I am not sure if this is common behaviour, but the lack of response puts me off buying any more ASRock products.
At least this forum provides a lot of valuable info!
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 6:05am
Happy to report that it has been over 8 days now without any issues.
Display has come back every time after monitor sleeping, and no audio loss.
Think it might finally be working! :-)
HDMI2 3840 ? 2160 at 60Hz.
HDMI2 FW version 1.61
BIOS 7.10
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Graphics 15.45.14.4590 (direct from Intel website, not ASRock)
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 4:07pm
Could you please test if you get all the color information on your display with UHD 60hz?
You can use these test patterns: http://cellarcinema.info/temp/uhdtest.zip
Open the pictures with 'right mouse button' edit on W10.
I can't get 4:4:4 with ASRock and LSPCON HDMI 2.0
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Stefan75 Stefan75 wrote:

Could you please test if you get all the color information on your display with UHD 60hz?

Yep I'll give it a go when I get home.
EDIT:
I have tried that Quick Brown Fox picture and all of it (including the last two lines) looked like it displayed properly.
The ChromaRes only shows 4:2:2 so I assume that this means I am not getting 4:4:4 then.

Edited by hiluke - 24 Feb 2017 at 4:34pm
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by hiluke hiluke wrote:

EDIT:
I have tried that Quick Brown Fox picture and all of it (including the last two lines) looked like it displayed properly.
The ChromaRes only shows 4:2:2 so I assume that this means I am not getting 4:4:4 then.

Thanks for checking...
ChromaRes.png... I also get 4:2:2 only
TextTest_1920x1080.png... red/yellow text is not vibrant, red/blue text font not pixel perfect
TintBlueRGB.PNG... the word red/magenta looks like 3D

My setup:
J3455-ITX FW 1.2
LSPCON FW 1.61
Club3D 3m 4K HDMI cable
Philips 43PUS6101/12 (HDMI 3 4:2:2/4:4:4 enabled)

I'm trying to get Intel to expand the features of the HD graphics control panel (force YCbCr 4:4:4).
Please post too ;)

cu

Edited by Stefan75 - 24 Feb 2017 at 8:31pm
nilsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 6:39am
Hi,

Can I ask if you have HD sound formats like DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD working ref:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4513&PID=24255&#24255

Thanks in advance
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:17am
Originally posted by nilsman nilsman wrote:

Hi,

Can I ask if you have HD sound formats like DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD working ref:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4513&PID=24255&#24255

Thanks in advance

They don't appear in the supported formats, however I am only running audio through my TV speakers at the moment, which doesn't support HD sound (DTS and Dolby Digital do work though).
nilsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:17am
Thanks. I reinstalled Intel HD Graphics and got it semi working. Really strange as I had already reinstalled it once before and that did not help. But it's still not 100% stable... I get random audio drop outs now and again when using Spotify and Tidal (PCM). But strangely bit streaming DTS MA and TrueHD now seems to work fine. To be honest I think the Intel HD Graphics and/or LSPCON firmware needs some further developments/updates... At least it seems the LSPCON supports these formats :-)
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by hiluke hiluke wrote:

EDIT:

I could get 4:4:4 mode on a Samsung UE48JU7580.
But I had to enable 'HDMI UHD Color' and change the HDMI input type to 'PC'

Edited by Stefan75 - 21 Mar 2017 at 5:17pm
http://cellarcinema.info
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic