ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID Setup Menu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwymanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAID Setup Menu
    Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 4:04pm
Hello,

I am trying to setup my new ASRock X99 Taichi in RAID0. I have been running into a block I cant see to figure out. I have a i7 6850 with 40 lanes of PCIe. I also have two Samsung m.2 950 pro installed.

Trying to setup the raid on this has been a pain. I tried the "Easy RAID installer" with a flash disk. The menu says to change the SATA mode to RAID after copying the driver.

Also, I have tried to get into the RAID Menu by using <CTRL - I > but no luck. I could use some help. I have been all over the net trying to figure this out. Thank you for your help in advance.

Edited by TwymanD - 30 Dec 2016 at 4:04pm
Twy
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 1:02am
Originally posted by TwymanD TwymanD wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to setup my new ASRock X99 Taichi in RAID0. I have been running into a block I cant see to figure out. I have a i7 6850 with lanes of 40 PCIe. I also have two Samsung m.2 950 pro installed.

Trying to setup the raid on this has been a pain. I tried the "Easy RAID installer" with a flash disk. The menu says to change the SATA mode to RAID after copying the driver.

Also, I have tried to get into the RAID Menu by using <CTRL - I > but no luck. I could use some help. I have been all over the net trying to figure this out. Thank you for your help in advance.

Sorry to say, you seem to be confused about which Intel system supports PCIe NVMe SSDs in RAID, using Intel's Rapid Storage (IRST) feature.

Currently, only the Intel 100 series chipset boards, like a Z170 chipset board, supports creating RAID arrays of PCIe NVMe SSDs, like the Samsung 950 Pro.

Your board's X99 chipset does not support creating RAID arrays of PCIe NVMe SSDs.

That's why you have been unable to get the <Ctrl i> Intel RAID utility started, since you don't have any supported (SATA) drives connected to the PC. Even if the Intel RAID utility was available via <Ctrl i>, you would not see PCIe NVMe drives listed as available for use in a RAID array.

Intel IRST RAID support for PCIe NVMe SSDs is very new. The Intel 100 series chipset's storage support is very different than all earlier Intel chipsets, which allows it to support PCIe NVMe SSDs in RAID, with the appropriate version of the IRST driver. Also, the increase in performance provided by a RAID 0 array of PCIe NVMe SSDs is much smaller than happens with SATA SSDs. I've used 950 Pros in RAID 0 on my Z170 Extreme7+ board, and went back to using a single 950 Pro as the OS drive. A single 950 Pro performs just as good if not better as the OS drive than two in a RAID 0 array.
TwymanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwymanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 4:02pm
Man... are you serious? Why would ASRock have two m.2 ports, and say the mother board supports RAID0? But fail to mention RAID isn't supported on on the PCIe NVMe (Samsung 950 Pro).   

I feel like I just got ripped off. The newegg site shows its is fine to setup in RAID0/1/5/10.

Thank you for the info, is this a physical limitation of the board or is this a just a matter of a driver or controller needed? Also, can I still use a software RAID? Image I can, just never used one.

Thanks in advance

Edited by TwymanD - 30 Dec 2016 at 4:04pm
Twy
eComposer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Sorry to say, you seem to be confused about which Intel system supports PCIe NVMe SSDs in RAID, using Intel's Rapid Storage (IRST) feature.

Currently, only the Intel 100 series chipset boards, like a Z170 chipset board, supports creating RAID arrays of PCIe NVMe SSDs, like the Samsung 950 Pro.

Your board's X99 chipset does not support creating RAID arrays of PCIe NVMe SSDs.

That's why you have been unable to get the <Ctrl i> Intel RAID utility started, since you don't have any supported (SATA) drives connected to the PC. Even if the Intel RAID utility was available via <Ctrl i>, you would not see PCIe NVMe drives listed as available for use in a RAID array.

Intel IRST RAID support for PCIe NVMe SSDs is very new. The Intel 100 series chipset's storage support is very different than all earlier Intel chipsets, which allows it to support PCIe NVMe SSDs in RAID, with the appropriate version of the IRST driver. Also, the increase in performance provided by a RAID 0 array of PCIe NVMe SSDs is much smaller than happens with SATA SSDs. I've used 950 Pros in RAID 0 on my Z170 Extreme7+ board, and went back to using a single 950 Pro as the OS drive. A single 950 Pro performs just as good if not better as the OS drive than two in a RAID 0 array.

OK, now I'm completely confused.  I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ and just added 2 x Samsung 960 Evo SSDs into two of the M 2 Pcie 3 x4 slots.  So does this mean Parsec that you CANNOT use the 960 Evo SSDs at all in RAID0, is that what you're saying???  I saw you were using earlier Samsung Pcie SSDs and had them in RAID0 configs...  What am I missing here????

I have tried for hours to get windows 10 64 bit to install on a RAID0 array using these two SSDs with absolutely NO luck trying everything I could think of.  It just doesn't work at all.

I followed the approach shown in the video on the Extreme 7+ page, so the UEFI steps were all followed so this is NOT the problem.  I tried to install windows 10 64 bit from the UEFI USB drive, which loads, but will absolutely NOT show the RAID0 array to install to, after loading the latest Intel driver from a second USB.  The driver is found, and is displayed, but after running it, the RAID0 volume NEVER SHOWS as an option to install windows to under any circumstances.  

I've consulted numerous sources trying every possible variation I can think of with no success.

I tried ALL the different versions of the Intel RST that are available, including the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID driver version 15.2.0.1020.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Also, does this mean you'd recommend NOT using RAID0 for these units, and just boot off one of them?  

If so, I wonder why ASRock showed the example of running three M 2 slots in RAID0 and claimed high performance, especially if running a single one performs better.  This just seems at odds with all the various commentaries I've seen in Tweaktown and Tom's Hardware etc.

Got to say, this one has me completely stumped.  At the "sledge hammer" point as we speak, lol!  :)

eComposer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eComposer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:46pm
FYI:  I followed the approach in these Youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLe-7tKE1FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4m2bNOp9BQ

This approach was NOT successful.  I get to the windows installation step where I've loaded the Intel driver, but the RAID0 Volume NEVER appears as available.

If I set the Storage to "ACHI", I can see the two 960 Evo SSDs and could install to these as individual units...

Hence I just don't understand why my multiple attempts have all failed so far.  Absolutely no idea now why this won't work.   I've eliminated all possible impediments known to me and to the various sources on how to do this.  

So, I'm "Completely stumped", and at the point of abandoning trying to set up RAID0 and just going for one drive only.  (Extremely disappointed this was displayed by ASRock as viable and high performing, but is actually NOT possible for the ASRock Extreme 7+ with Samsung 960 Evo SSDs.)  :(
TwymanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwymanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 7:02pm
Thank eComposer. I can see in the video, the menu I am missing in my BIOS options... sucks. I feel ASRock just needs to do a firmware update for the x99 Taichi. I built my entire computer around this motherboard. First I had to send back the i7 6800 due to it not having 40 lanes, meaning it could not even see both PCIe NVMe SSDs. Now that I have the i7 6850, I find out I cant even RAID it. FML, I am now forced to decide;
1. Send the ASRock x99 Taichi Motherboard and i7-6850 LGA2011 CPU back, and reorder (AGAIN)
2. See if I can get ASRock to update the firmware to enable the m.2 slots to RAID0
3. Figure out if a software RAID is an option.
4. Live with it, which sucks the most. As I paid for high performance rig. Just knowing my two m.2's aren't in RAID0 will fester and build in my mind as hatred for this situation and ASRock/Newegg.
Twy
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 7:16pm
I'm afraid it is a limitation of the chipset not the firmware. As Parsec said, the 100 series boards are the only ones that support NVMe RAID. 

Parsec has also tested NVMe RAID and found it offered no significant performance increase. In fact, some usage scenarios yield slower performance in RAID 0, most notably boot times. Honestly I would return one of the NVMe drives (or both and get 1 larger capacity one) and use it like that. You will not notice any performance difference vs RAID 0 with NVMe anyway. This may change as NVMe matures but for now, it just isn't worth the extra cost and this information can be easily found on the web.

You have to understand that at the time the X99 chipset was released there were no NVMe devices. NVMe support was patched in via firmware. While the Broadwell-EP CPUs may be new the platform they are designed for is quite dated now. 
TwymanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwymanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 7:39pm
Thank you Xaltar, looks like option 2 is out.

LOL found this a bit funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dA8yNEZgQU
at 1:40 into the video...
Twy
TwymanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwymanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 11:04pm
Well after reading over software RAIDs. It looks as if, I am unable to make a bootable software RAID0. I can only make a other drives RAID with the windows RAID feature.

Looks like I may have to live with this. Its easy to say I should have read it on the web before hand. But this was easy to miss, especially if 1. you don't know what you don't know, until it happens 2. it is almost as if ASRock is purposely downplaying this flaw.

It would be very easy to put a note on the sites selling the product "RAID 0/1/5/10 (SATA ONLY)" or "RAID 0/1/5/10 (M.2 unsupported)"

While I do like your suggestion to just return the second m.2 is a good one. I did buy all this from newegg and I live in Hawaii. So shipping and "Restocking Fees" (WTF ever) are 15%. So I think I would rather keep it.

If I point out to newegg that they falsely advertised (which they did and are still doing) I might get them to take the motherboard and CPU back. Then I will have to hunt down another Z170 motherboard and LGA 1151 CPU.

I will have to price everything out, to see if I want to proceed. Its likely I will have to live with it.

Edited by TwymanD - 31 Dec 2016 at 12:01am
Twy
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 1:06am
Originally posted by eComposer eComposer wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

OK, now I'm completely confused.  I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ and just added 2 x Samsung 960 Evo SSDs into two of the M 2 Pcie 3 x4 slots.  So does this mean Parsec that you CANNOT use the 960 Evo SSDs at all in RAID0, is that what you're saying???  I saw you were using earlier Samsung Pcie SSDs and had them in RAID0 configs...  What am I missing here????

I have tried for hours to get windows 10 64 bit to install on a RAID0 array using these two SSDs with absolutely NO luck trying everything I could think of.  It just doesn't work at all.

I followed the approach shown in the video on the Extreme 7+ page, so the UEFI steps were all followed so this is NOT the problem.  I tried to install windows 10 64 bit from the UEFI USB drive, which loads, but will absolutely NOT show the RAID0 array to install to, after loading the latest Intel driver from a second USB.  The driver is found, and is displayed, but after running it, the RAID0 volume NEVER SHOWS as an option to install windows to under any circumstances.  

I've consulted numerous sources trying every possible variation I can think of with no success.

I tried ALL the different versions of the Intel RST that are available, including the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID driver version 15.2.0.1020.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Also, does this mean you'd recommend NOT using RAID0 for these units, and just boot off one of them?  

If so, I wonder why ASRock showed the example of running three M 2 slots in RAID0 and claimed high performance, especially if running a single one performs better.  This just seems at odds with all the various commentaries I've seen in Tweaktown and Tom's Hardware etc.

Got to say, this one has me completely stumped.  At the "sledge hammer" point as we speak, lol!  :)

You may have new information since you posted this, but as I said in my post you quoted, you CAN create a RAID 0 array of PCIe NVMe SSDs on a Z170 board like yours, and use it as the OS drive. I have no clue why you think otherwise. I never said it cannot be done on a Z170 board. I underlined the statement in my earlier post, above, that said you can create a RAID 0 array of PCIe NVMe SSDs on a Z170, or other Intel 100 series chipset board that supports Intel's IRST RAID. Confused

I've done it myself, so I know it works. Another active forum member, clubfoot, has been a long time user of a RAID 0 array of two 950 Pros. You must be doing something wrong.

Since you didn't describe any of the procedure you used, I'll do that here:

No idea which UEFI/BIOS version you have in your board, although they should all work. New versions are better, you should use the latest version. With earlier UEFI versions, any time you cleared the UEFI/BIOS, the RAID 0 array of PCIe NVMe SSDs would be lost, as I learned the hard way. That has been fixed since then, as well as a new Intel IRST Option ROM added.

Install the two 960 EVOs. Since the M.2 slots share resources with the SATA ports, be sure you don't have any SATA drives in the SATA ports that are shared with the M.2 slots. Also, as in ANY Windows installation, do NOT have any other drives connected (powered up) to the PC.

Since I don't know what options you set in the UEFI, clear it with the clear CMOS jumper on the board. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

Go into the UEFI/BIOS, and go to the Storage Configuration screen. Set the SATA Mode Selection to RAID. You MUST MAINTAIN this setting at all times!

If you have an earlier UEFI version, at this point you must Save and Exit the UEFI, and go right back in again to continue. If you have a later UEFI version, the options I'll discuss now may already be shown, but if not, Save and Exit the UEFI and go right back in again to the Storage Configuration screen. Don't skip the Save and Exit, you'll be sorry if you do.

Find the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option, set it to UEFI Only. If you don't find the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option in Storage Configuration, you'll need to go to the Boot screen, find the CSM option at the very bottom, and set the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option to UEFI Only.

You should find two options, called PCIe Remapping, one for each SSD in the M.2 slots that you want to use for the RAID array. Set both of those options to Enabled.

Once again, Save and Exit the UEFI, and go right back in again. Go to the Advanced screen, and at the bottom you should find an entry for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Use that to create the RAID 0 array. I assume you know how to do that. Be sure to choose the 128K stripe size for the RAID 0 array, since that will give you the best performance. Finally done with creating the RAID 0 array. If you don't follow this procedure, you won't have a working RAID 0 array of your 960 EVOs.

Next, what IRST driver are you loading during the Windows 10 installation? Only one is correct, which is the SATA Floppy Image ver:15.2.0.1020 driver on your board's download page. Why they still use that terminology, floppy, I don't know but that is the driver file you need. Of course you must unzip the download file, and copy the f6flpy-x64 folder to a USB flash drive. During the Win 10 installation, connect both USB flash drives to USB ports on the board's IO panel ONLY. Also, do NOT REMOVE either USB flash drive from the PC until your Windows 10 installation completely boots to the Desktop for the first time.

Another detail, about your Win 10 installation USB flash drive. In the boot order in the UEFI, you MUST select the entry for the USB flash drive that is, "UEFI: <flash drive name>". That is a required step. Be sure that entry is selected as first in the boot order, and Save and Exit to start the Win 10 installation.

You seem to know how the Win 10 installation goes, choosing Custom, where you won't see the RAID 0 array until after you load the driver from the f6flpy-x64 folder on the second USB flash drive. If the RAID 0 array does not appear after loading the driver, something was not done correctly.

Not quite done yet. Back from the Load Driver screen, with the RAID 0 array now shown, you must format it. Find the New button, click it, which will display a message about creating multiple partitions, just click Ok, and it should format it correctly. Continue with the installation from there.

That's it.

Performance of a storage device is not shown in one speed spec. For example, the 960 EVO "sequential read" speed is ~3,200MBs, but that is only for large files, over 128KB, and varies depending upon the size of the file. No SSD reads all data/files at 3,200MBs, or its maximum sequential read speed spec. Small 4KB - 16KB files will be read at ~55MB/s, which is called the "4K Random Read" speed. That is normal for any drive, the small file read speed is much lower. One side affect of a RAID 0 array is some loss of the 4K read speed performance, not a lot but it will be at ~50MB/s instead of ~55MB/s. That is normal and happens with any type of drive in a RAID 0 array.

Loading/booting an OS involves reading many
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic