ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

onboard HDMI not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 8:34am
all problem was in SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe M.2 - when it inserted in M.2 slot - HDMI not working (only D-Sub) I test this SSD on another motherboard - MSI B250M PRO-VH but here both VGA and HDMI not worked, when M.2 inserted. without it work (this with latest bios and set use IGD video). so look like with SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe M.2 partially or fully GPU initialize fail. are this is motherboards or SSD issue ? this can be fixed ?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 11:17am
kelly, that doesn't make sense. It should not be doing that.

Are you installing the M.2 standoff into the motherboards correct location before using the screw to fasten/secure the card/drive? This standoff MUST be used.

Edited by wardog - 04 Feb 2017 at 11:18am
kelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 4:28pm
yes, motherboard (both) have only one Ultra M.2 slot and physically impossible install SSD incorrect (wrong orientation, etc). for summarize:

1) i install SSD to H170M?PRO4 (bios version 7.00 from the box) and connect monitor with HDMI cable - got black screen and no signal for monitor
2) i replace HDMI to D-SUB (VGA) cable (nothing touch more) - and all begin work
3) i successfully install windows 10 (x64 1607) on this SSD (no other hard drives) - all ok (and this prove that SSD correct physically installed in M.2 slot). reboot several time - ok. (UEFI install)
4) i set Ultra Fast Boot in bios - after this system not load - in bios i not view SSD - M.2 slot shown as "empty"
5) i return to normal/Fast Boot - system (windows) loaded ok
6) i download latest 7.10 bios version for update bios under Windows® - run exe from Windows
7) after update i verify that bios version become 7.10 and system (windows) ONCE booted ok.
8) after reboot - i can not boot more, even can not enter BIOS - system hung at Asrock splash screen
9) clear CMOS not help
10) only remove SSD from M.2 helped. install again hung.
11) after all this insert this SSD for test in MSI B250M PRO-VH motherboard (bios 1.0 from the box)
12) no video signal at all - by HDMI and by D-Sub here. system off when press power button
13) on this motherboard exist debug leds - and it show that GPU init fail (in both case i use IGD - from i7)
14) without SSD in M.2 video signal work ok. install M.2 back - again GPU fail led fire and black screen
15) remove SSD and update bios to latest 1.2 version with flash. bios updated successfully
16) after insert SSD again to M.2 - again GPU init fail. but now power button already not worked - only unplug the power-cord help off

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by kelly kelly wrote:

yes, motherboard (both) have only one Ultra M.2 slot and physically impossible install SSD incorrect (wrong orientation, etc).

But you are using the included M.2 standoff that is FIRST screwed into the motherboard that the M.2 drive is then, and only then, screwed/fastened to the standoff. Not directly to the motherboard?

Edited by wardog - 04 Feb 2017 at 11:57pm
kelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 1:09am
yes, do exactly this.

i think that not only i have this issue - for example this - also no video (and here no D-Sub port)

Edited by kelly - 05 Feb 2017 at 1:17am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 1:54am
So the system won't post at all on with the drive installed on the MSI board? If this is the case then the issue is likely coming from the drive rather than the board itself, it sounds like it is hogging resources typically assigned to the iGPU. I am not sure but a BIOS fix may help, that or a firmware update for the drive itself. I would contact Samsung (if you haven't already) and ASRock Tech support directly and inquire. This is a very curious issue. Maybe Samsung assumed anyone using it's pro series M.2 drives would be using a dedicated GPU and failed to properly test on iGPUs? Whatever the case, I am sure there is a solution. 

ASRock Tech Support:
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
kelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

So the system won't post at all on with the drive installed on the MSI board?
may be and POST but i can not view this (no video). i update bios on both motherboard to latest version, but after update became only worse. with MSI AMI BIOS v1.0 - system just shutdown when i press power button. with v1.2 - press power button - no reaction - need power -block off.
with Ascrock H170M Pro4  v7.00 bios - HDMI and ultra fast boot not worked, but via D-Sub ok, and i even install win 10. but after update bios to v7.10 - hung at POST - view Asrock logo and info about which button press to.. all. can not enter BIOS or continue boot.
agree now think root of problem in EVO 960. but this is specific bad item, and another  EVO 960 can work well. or until motherboard at all not fully support this EVO 960 and need look for other models.

I would like to clearly understand the situation and not to buy expensive items on guess again (suddenly will not work again)

and yes, i never use external graphics cards in own builds but always Processor Graphics. for me important fast disk and power processor, but graphics not important. this not for gaming and processor onboard graphics more than enough for me

Edited by kelly - 05 Feb 2017 at 2:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic