ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 7700k & Z270 Extreme4 - Can't get 5Ghz Stable :/
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

7700k & Z270 Extreme4 - Can't get 5Ghz Stable :/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 12:09am
Thanks for the info Thumbs Up

These boards are still very new and so far a lot better than the 100 series boards were on release, still, there will be some bugs to work out.
Nyrdian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nyrdian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:44am
May i ask how to turn off LLC? I only have auto, lvl1-2-3-4 
morbid_bean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morbid_bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Nyrdian Nyrdian wrote:

May i ask how to turn off LLC? I only have auto, lvl1-2-3-4 

I too would also like to know this.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 3:14pm
All I know is that 1 is the highest value and 4 is the lowest. Auto seems to do exactly what it says, dynamically adjust between 1 - 4 or off. I played around with this a lot on my Z270 Gaming K6 when I was pushing my overclocks and found the best results on auto. I achieved 5.1ghz @1.44v with water cooling and 5.0 at 1.38v on air.

I now use the system @stock with MCE enabled which puts me at 4.2ghz and it is more than adequate for my every day tasks/gaming. If I had a decent GPU then it would be worth pushing it to 4.8 or even 5.0 but my GTX 960 bottlenecks long before the 7600k in my system.

So far as I could figure out, auto is the closest thing to off you will find.
MaloW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaloW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:47am
I am too noticing instability with LCC on my Z270 Extreme4.
With LLC level 4 (lowest) my 7700K is stable at 5.0Ghz through hours of RealBench at offset voltage +235mv, which results in a voltage between 1.312-1.328V during RealBench. However when doing light browsing and stuff I'm getting spikes up to 1.440V, so I would like to use LLC to get those down a bit.
However with LLC level 3, and the offset voltage set to +175mv, the spikes are down to 1.392V, and I get 1.328-1.344V during RealBench, which is quite a bit higher voltage than with LLC4, but it results in blue screens after just seconds or minutes of RealBench.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? Or is it an issue with the actual board that can't be fixed?
MASTRandDSASTR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:21pm
I was reading this to see I found anyone that has OC their 7700k over the 5Ghz mark. It seems 5Ghz is a kind of threshold for most. Im not an expert, but I do have some experience OC, and I was running @5.2Ghz-1.395v when I found this. Using the same MoBo in question (z270 Extreme4). The preset OCs are nifty, but it seems it's more for noobs than anything. Needless to say I tried those too. Not bad, but the performance gain did not justify the temperature raise. I was looking at 80c-90c+ depending on settings attempted. This was before I decided to delid (using Cool laboratories liquid metal) and add an AIO cooler. Works great. i have now been able to reach 5.3Ghz-1.47v. Looks stable to me. More testing needs to be done. My question for anyone working with similar CPU and MoBo is: Have you gotten higher clocks?, and if so; please let me know what speed you tried, and at what voltage. I've even tried with the PLL and VCCIO, but I don't think I'm that experienced yet. Message me please or just reply to my post. Id like to see what other people are working with. Personally I don't see how 5Ghz is super impressive in the Kaby Lake. I was expecting more.

M&D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:29pm
I neglected to mention that after the cooling solutions I was looking at 72C max temp in full load even during a 25min stress test with the 5.2Ghz setting. 74C now with 5.3Ghz. The delid with liquid metal will give you a 10C minimum decrease in temp. I've read you can get -25C, but I don't know how true that is since I've actually done it. If your ambient temp is cooler then you can obviously see better temps.
M&D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:42pm
As far as I know you're gonna nee the higher levels to get a higher clock speed. I have mine at lvl1 and it works great. Unless you're trying to save power which is not my case; you should just go for most performance with out exceeding 80C. That's just my opinion though.

M&D
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by MaloW MaloW wrote:

I am too noticing instability with LCC on my Z270 Extreme4.
With LLC level 4 (lowest) my 7700K is stable at 5.0Ghz through hours of RealBench at offset voltage +235mv, which results in a voltage between 1.312-1.328V during RealBench. However when doing light browsing and stuff I'm getting spikes up to 1.440V, so I would like to use LLC to get those down a bit.
However with LLC level 3, and the offset voltage set to +175mv, the spikes are down to 1.392V, and I get 1.328-1.344V during RealBench, which is quite a bit higher voltage than with LLC4, but it results in blue screens after just seconds or minutes of RealBench.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? Or is it an issue with the actual board that can't be fixed?

So you don't see any voltage spikes during RealBench? What are you using to monitor VCore, CPU-Z?

Reaching 5GHz with a VCore of under 1.4V will be very difficult, and require a very good CPU, the luck of the draw of course.

Are you using the lower LLC values for some reason, with an OC to 5GHz? I know you like to see the lower VCore, who doesn't, but the required VCore above ~4.8GHz is not linear, it needs much more and a tighter LLC is needed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MASTRandDSASTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:58pm
Like I said. Level 1. You might be able to get away with 2
M&D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic