ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960GM/U3S3 FX usb 3 not powered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 960GM/U3S3 FX usb 3 not powered
    Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:52am
Hello.

I have a two and a half year old 960GM/U3S3 FX motherboard that I use for casual gaming and as a media server. The board works well enough for those task, but because of the use as a media server, I often transfer a large amount of small files to it from a USB hard drive or device (such as a phone or camera).

The two rear blue (3.0) usb aren't working. They show up in the device manager, but aren;t powered at all. I have tried reinstalling the driver (both the native one for windows and the one from the ASRock website), but I didn't think would help; and it didn't. The ports aren't broken, they are still attached firmly to the mobo.

This is a huge pain for me owning the transfer speed of the usb 2 ports is much slower, and I stated why I could really use the usb 3 ports above.

Dose anyone have any advice that might help me? I'd be very grateful.

Oh, and I have opened the case, and I can't see any shorts anywhere. No bear wires touching the mobo or anything like that, and no burn marks or such.

homerj79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote homerj79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 10:37am
Windows is detecting the controller, not really the physical port you plug in to. Good news - your controller is hosed.

Some basic things to test:

1. Try different cables. Or use the same cables you have on another system that you know has functional USB3 ports.
2. Same goes with your drives. If it's a USB key you're using, plug in in to another USB3 you know works.

If your external drives work on other USB3 ports, then we can assume the problem lies between the port and the USB controller. The best way to test this is with a multimeter.. Make sure you know what you're doing before doing this. Finding the power pins to test is easy (they're the longer ones, 1 and 4). If you can get power off the pins, then the power to supplying power. If not, then they're no good. If you're feeling brave at that point it may be possible to replace them on your own (but you really have to know what you're doing for this one), or you're looking at a new mobo in the future.

If the port is bad, the best explanation I could give as to what happens is they just got worn out. There are exposed pins inside the USB port and continuos plugging/unplugging of devices to the port puts wear on them. Over time, they'll eventually wear themselves out and will stop functioning.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 1:06pm
I don't know if the following is the cause of your problem, but is a possible explanation.

The power lines to USB ports of any kind can have tiny fuses in the circuit. If the power draw of a connected USB device is beyond the current limits of the power lines, or a short circuit occurs across the +5V line and ground or other connection, the fuses blow and no power is provided to the USB port.

These fuses cannot be replaced, unless you can work with the tiny surface mount devices that are used, and can identify and get the parts.

USB 3.0 port pin assignments, which also includes the USB 2.0 data and power connections:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic