ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodenchain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: update
    Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:28am
please someone tell me how to update asrock pci express 2.0 h6im-hvs

David Bradsjaw
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:57am
If you are asking to update the PCIe x1 slot from PCIe r2.0 to r3.0, it cannot be done.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:52am
Move from Gaming Zone > ASRock e-Sport&Gaming Feature Discussion to Tech Support > Intel Motherboards
woodenchain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodenchain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:01am
so ther is no kijnd of firmware update

David Bradsjaw
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by woodenchain woodenchain wrote:

please someone tell me how to update asrock pci express 2.0 h6im-hvs

A firmware update to change PCIe 2.0 to PCIe 3.0? Impossible, PCIe support is provided by hardware, not software.

From your board's specifications:

PCIe Gen3 is supported on 3rd Generation of Intel Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-HVS/?cat=Specifications

The PCIe lanes are provided by the CPU. You must have a 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge CPU that supports PCIe 2.0 only.

You would need an Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 processor, one of the i5-35xx or i7-377x models.

You would also need the latest BIOS version installed, to support an Ivy Bridge processor, or any BIOS version from 1.90 or newer.

You are lucky to have a mother board that can add PCIe 3.0 support by changing the CPU. That is unusual, most boards do not have that option.

You won't be able to find a new Ivy Bridge i5 or i7 CPU for sale now, but you should be able to find a used one.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 2:27pm

I can't think of anything fitting in to an x1 slot that Gen2 wouldn't more than suffice for throughput wise. Including most(all) x1 software RAID cards/arrays.

What is it you're looking to place there?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 2:39pm
I would guess GPU in the x16 slot. The same still holds true, any GPU you install in that board will be bottlenecked by your CPU before it is bottlenecked by the PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. For a system of that age I wouldn't recommend anything faster than a GTX 970/RX 470 unless you plan to upgrade your system later on using the same GPU. Also be careful selecting GPUs, many new GPUs are not backward compatible with older motherboards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic