FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't get XMP to boot, long boot time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't get XMP to boot, long boot time
    Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Kaus_Debonair Kaus_Debonair wrote:

Timing it takes 25 seconds and up for the post to finish. After that 5 seconds to get into windows desktop. I was playing around in the bios and saw the Xtreme bootup option and enabled it. Sadly on restart it only boots to the bios over and over again until I disable that option. I am watching the debugger for clues and looking at all the bios options but I can't find how to bring that post time down.

Any ideas since you have one would be great, I would be forever in your debt.

P.S. To reiterate the PC once booted up is great and my specs are below.

CPU: i7-7700K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 SDRAM 3200
Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC
HD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 2.5
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H105

POST time varies depending upon your hardware. I know you don't have an X99 system, but they are well known for long POST times. Most have eight DRAM slots, each one must be checked for memory, and if the owner uses quad channel memory, that also slows down POST. Plus the X99 platform is based on Intel's enterprise chipset, which puts stability before a fast POST time. The X99 POST process is simply longer than on other systems, nothing can be done about that.

The fastest boards to POST I've seen are very simple models. The fastest system to POST I have is the simple ASRock N3150M, the Windows "BIOS time" shown in the Startup tab of Task Manager is under four seconds. A fast CPU and memory does not help with POST duration. POST time is only comparable on identical systems.

If you mean you set Fast boot to Ultra Fast, the Ultra Fast setting will only work if you installed Windows in UEFI booting mode. You apparently don't have a UEFI booting installation, since it is normal in that case to be put into the UEFI/BIOS UI when the Ultra Fast boot setting is used. That error is detected, and the UEFI wants you to fix that option.

The more memory you have, the longer POST will take. How many other drives are in the PC? Do you have any optical drives? HDDs and optical drives take much longer to wake up, the POST checks for drives happen at the end of the POST process for that reason. Some HDDs take longer to wake up than others. USB devices other than the keyboard and mouse also slow down POST.

POST codes on the Dr Debug display only indicate a problem if POST fails, and a POST code remains displayed. If you can get into the UEFI/BIOS or the OS boots, POST finished normally.

If the MRC Fast Boot option is disabled, that causes memory training, which increases POST time.

My ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 board with Samsung 960 EVO as the OS drive with Windows 10 installed in UEFI booting mode has a Windows BIOS time of eight seconds. I have no HDDs and no optical drives connected, and only use the Intel SATA ports. I don't even use any Fast Boot option. Check the number of programs in the Startup tab of Task Manager, they slow the actual boot time down.

Something related to your hardware must be slowing down the POST time.
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 5:44pm
I no longer own this board or RAM. So I can't help you there unfortunately. Sorry bro. :/

Citing myself from this thread:

Quote POST time may be related to a thing called memory training, which is new to me. Tweaking the timings and setting them specifically (especially RTL/IO latency) can reduce the "symptoms" we're "suffering" from.

Maybe you can manually tweak your RAM timings and ease the symptoms.
Kaus_Debonair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaus_Debonair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:44am
Timing it takes 25 seconds and up for the post to finish. After that 5 seconds to get into windows desktop. I was playing around in the bios and saw the Xtreme bootup option and enabled it. Sadly on restart it only boots to the bios over and over again until I disable that option. I am watching the debugger for clues and looking at all the bios options but I can't find how to bring that post time down.

Any ideas since you have one would be great, I would be forever in your debt.

P.S. To reiterate the PC once booted up is great and my specs are below.

CPU: i7-7700K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 SDRAM 3200
Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX OC
HD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 2.5
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H105
Hi
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:27am
Divider (multiplier may be a better word) is simply RAM target frequency / BCLK * ratio.

So with a RAM target frequency of 3200 MHz, BCLK of 100 MHz and a ratio of 1:1 the divider (or multiplier) is 32.

RAM target frequency of 3066 MHz with BCLK 100 MHz and ratio 1:1.33 equals a divider (or multiplier) of 23.

I hope you get the idea.

MRC Fast Boot is disabled in my case, though enabling it doesn't make a difference. I also enabled the serial port, as you described in your thread, still no luck. :O

Regards,

dNhax.
CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:33pm
How do you calculate dividers? I have no idea how to do that Smile Below are my RAM settings (divider 1:11 - 3066 MHz) 

There is no 3000 MHz divider on the list, so I think it's not possible to set my RAMs at rated speed (3000 MHz) unless I could change BCLK which I can't because I have non K CPU.

But you set everything as I would do and this didn't work so either you had a huge bad luck or UEFI is still buggy as it probably is in my case. You may change only one setting in UEFI, it's at the bottom of DRAM configuration and it's called MRC Fastboot <- enable it (I have it enabled). My last advice would be to check RAM with Memtest86 to be absolutely sure it's OK. You may read my thread if you want just to see that nothing is certain with ASRock's UEFI Wink http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=4445&title=z270m-pro4-fast-boot-problem-and-no-temp-readings 
It is still new platform so I think it takes time to discover all problems and fix them. I'm curious if your new set will be free of flaws.

Edited by CrashNB - 19 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:38pm
Hey,

still got the old parts, but the new parts are already ordered and shipped.

What are you trying to tell me? 3000MHz means a RAM divider of 22.5 with ratio of 1:1.33, while 2933, 3066 and 3200 are integer dividers (22, 23 and 24).
With ratio 1:1, 3000 MHz and 3200 MHz are integer dividers while 2933 MHz and 3066 MHz have a divider of 29.33 and 30.66 respectively. Either way, I assume the motherboard should handle all scenarios equally good apart from ratio and dividers.

POST time may be related to a thing called memory training, which is new to me. Tweaking the timings and setting them specifically (especially RTL/IO latency) can reduce the "symptoms" we're "suffering" from.

Problematic in my case is, that setting the timings manually results in no POST'ing/booting at all. After testing intensively and covering all possible scenarios/variations of frequency and timings (took a week off from work) over the last week, I still decided to return the old parts. Guess I got really really unlucky, therefore I can't and won't blame ASRock or Corsair for their products (which I think are from outstanding quality). I will still consider ASRock and Corsair for any new rig I'm planning to build. ;-)

Best regards,

dNhax.
CrashNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrashNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:41pm
@dNhax: Have you returned your gear yet? I think I have the same issue but my rig is:
*Z270m Pro4
*i5-7500
*2x4GB RAM 3000 (HyperX Predator - HX430C15PB3K2/16) - it's on the QVL
*Samsung SM961 256 GB
*PSU: Corsair RM550X
I had the same issue: after setting XMP profile screen went black than dual boot and RAM settings were back, I mean default. I noticed that when select manual RAM speed there is no 3000 MHz divider only 2933 or 3066, so maybe the same problem you are having (or had)? I could set manually 3066 MHz and main timings according to SPD, 1.35 RAM voltage and everything else on auto. I've read that XMP can change not only RAM settings but also frequencies etc. it could be an issue for my CPU (non K one) but it shouldn't affect yours. I managed to solve that but I have some other problems which I post later on a new thread.
BTW my POST time takes long as well.

Edited by CrashNB - 19 Feb 2017 at 8:09pm
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 1:26am
So, I'm done.

Nothing seems to work and the hassle is no longer beareable and worth it. I'm sorry but I will be returning Motherboard and RAM (and maybe CPU as well, just in case it's a potato) and will be getting another Board/RAM combination.

Thanks for all your effort and patience so far.

Best regards,

dNhax.
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:13am
Alright, will test that tomorrow. I have to get some sleep before work.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 4:51am
Try clearing CMOS now with the updated BIOS. It also may be worth while seeing if you can set XMP with a single RAM module installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic