ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't get XMP to boot, long boot time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't get XMP to boot, long boot time
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:14am
Hey,

I received my new pc parts at friday and excitedly assembled everything. So far everything works fine, but two small "issues" (not really big things) are keeping me wondering.

First, my rig:

Intel I7-7700k @ Stock
ASRock Z270 Extreme4
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W)
GeForce 1080 GTX
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W PSU

Issue 1:

I can't get the RAMs XMP Profile (3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36 @ 1.35v) to work. 3000 MHz @ 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35v runs fine. VCCIO is at 1.15v, VCCSA is at 1.20v. Enabling XMP results in a black screen, several restarts and the message "RAM overclock failed". Is there any crucial setting that I'm missing?

Issue 2:

The POST (I guess it's the POST, may be something else?) needs quite some time. Say, I push the power button, fans are spinning up, black screen.. 10-15s later the screen turns on and it boots normally. My old rig (I7-2600k, P8P67 mainboard) booted straight up. Is there anything I'm missing here too?

So far I love my new PC, just these two "issues" are giving me a slight headache. :O

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

dNhax.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:03am
Originally posted by dNhax dNhax wrote:

Hey,

I received my new pc parts at friday and excitedly assembled everything. So far everything works fine, but two small "issues" (not really big things) are keeping me wondering.

First, my rig:

Intel I7-7700k @ Stock
ASRock Z270 Extreme4
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W)
GeForce 1080 GTX
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 550W PSU

Issue 1:

I can't get the RAMs XMP Profile (3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36 @ 1.35v) to work. 3000 MHz @ 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35v runs fine. VCCIO is at 1.15v, VCCSA is at 1.20v. Enabling XMP results in a black screen, several restarts and the message "RAM overclock failed". Is there any crucial setting that I'm missing?

Issue 2:

The POST (I guess it's the POST, may be something else?) needs quite some time. Say, I push the power button, fans are spinning up, black screen.. 10-15s later the screen turns on and it boots normally. My old rig (I7-2600k, P8P67 mainboard) booted straight up. Is there anything I'm missing here too?

So far I love my new PC, just these two "issues" are giving me a slight headache. :O

Any help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

dNhax.

DDR4 XMP profiles have not worked well with some memory models, since the Intel Skylake/100 series chipset boards were released. Plus any memory speed over 2400 is a memory OC, and not guaranteed to work.

Try this with your memory:

Clear the UEFI/BIOS with the board's jumper, with the PC shutdown and disconnected from power.

Start the PC and go into the UEFI. Reset any non-memory related settings you use.

Don't enable the XMP profile.

Manually set the memory speed to 3200, by going into the DRAM Tweaker screen. You should find lists of the memory speeds and timings. Check all of the entries for 3200.

Be sure that ALL of the other memory timings are set to Auto.

At the bottom of DRAM Configuration, find the MRC Fast Boot setting. Set it to Disabled. This will cause memory training and POST will be longer, but you don't need to disable that setting forever. Several boots of the PC should be enough.

I see you have a 960 Pro, is that the OS drive? No information about what version of Windows you are using. Did you do a fresh OS installation? What did you use as the Windows installation media? Did you install the Samsung NVMe driver?

Did you configure anything in the UEFI/BIOS for the 960 Pro? Are you UEFI booting, or Legacy booting?

Any other drives connected to the PC? Did you have other drives connected to the PC when you installed Windows?

All of those things can affect the POST time and startup time.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:08am
Both are most likely memory/XMP related.

Place the sticks in A1 and B1, reset the BIOS, power her up, then try XMP

Otherwise, in A1 and B1, set the sticks up manually using the timings, voltage as displayed. Might do a CR of 2 for these also.

But anytime you make big changes with memory as moving slots it's customary to clear/reset the BIOS. Lot less hair pulling in my experiences.

dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 4:25am
Hey,

thanks for replying! :-)

@parsec: Settings frequency and timings manually does not work either.

The 960 Pro is the only drive in my PC. Windows version is Win10 1607, freshly installed (via USB in UEFI mode) and all patched up. Samsungs NVMe driver is installed. Did not configure anything in that regard. Booting in UEFI mode.

I guess I re-check any boot related settings then.

@wardog: So the manual says that A2 and B2 should be populated first. May have to test when I have the time for disassembling.

Are the voltages on VCCIO and VCCSA good or to high/low? CPU temps are good so far.

Regards,

dNhax.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by dNhax dNhax wrote:

Hey,

thanks for replying! :-)

@parsec: Settings frequency and timings manually does not work either.

The 960 Pro is the only drive in my PC. Windows version is Win10 1607, freshly installed (via USB in UEFI mode) and all patched up. Samsungs NVMe driver is installed. Did not configure anything in that regard. Booting in UEFI mode.

I guess I re-check any boot related settings then.

@wardog: So the manual says that A2 and B2 should be populated first. May have to test when I have the time for disassembling.

Are the voltages on VCCIO and VCCSA good or to high/low? CPU temps are good so far.

Regards,

dNhax.

Windows 10 installation "... all patched up."?  Please explain all patched up.

If you did not configure anything in the UEFI in regards to UEFI booting when you installed Windows, or afterwards, then you are not booting in UEFI mode.

Otherwise, explain how you installed in UEFI mode, and are booting in UEFI mode? What is the entry in the boot order for your 960 EVO?

Forgot to tell you to try the A1 and B1 slots, when using 8GB or larger DIMMs.
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:47pm
"All patched up" means latest Windows updates. Simple.

Upon installation, I chose booting from USB drive in UEFI mode.
I check my settings again after work. For what should I be looking?

Thats a weird behaviour regarding RAM slots. Do you have any technical explanation? Will test that as soon as I can.

Edit: Checked the Windows disk management.. system partition is in EFI mode.

Edited by dNhax - 07 Feb 2017 at 11:14pm
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:51pm
So I got the time for testing.

Currently the DIMMs are in A1 and B1, everything remains the same. Still long POST, still no XMP, still no manually setting the speed and timings.

So I guess I got a potato? :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 12:17am
That is very strange, I have the Z270 Gaming K6 and am running Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 without any issues at all using XMP.

The Gaming K6 and Extreme 4 are almost identical and should support the same RAM modules.

My RAM is:

CMK16GX4M2B3600C18(R)

Maybe the kit is incapable of running at it's rated speed? It may be worth inquiring with Corsair too.
dNhax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dNhax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 12:49am
Contacting Corsair is the next step then. :/

Should I keep the DIMMs in A1 and B1 or should I switch them back to A2 and B2? I guess the former, as @parsec and @wardog recommended.

Edit: There is a thread over at Corsair's community forum, quite a few pages long: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149795

Edited by dNhax - 11 Feb 2017 at 2:01am
AngryGoblin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryGoblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:28am
XMP profiles  are often causing issues since 2 generations (and even before) I don't know why that is. I am on 270 k6 as well, and don't have such issues, but had many XMP issues in the past.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic