ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intel's Atom C2000 chips are bricking products

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:37pm
OK. While I do not work for ASRock in any way, shape, or form, this talk is getting out of hand.

C2000Brick, please provide links to where on Intels forum you have been previously lambasting them for a defective product? None? I didn't think so ..........

I do understand everyone is nervous and upset over this Intel blunder. I would be too. Yet enough is enough here.

So, let's all take a deep breath and cool off until ASRock, and more importantly the gorilla in the room, Intel, do decide a course of action.

By all means carry on discussing it. But let's cease with the nuclear tactics toward both ASRock and Intel.

First and last warning all.

... wardog, Moderator
MisterE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 11:10pm

This problem possible bricked my hardware:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?posts/351822/
I am still investigating.

Edited by MisterE - 26 Feb 2017 at 11:11pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:10am
I have to agree with Wardog here. This should be an informative thread that ASRock tech support can look at and benefit from so they can take whatever steps they can to correct the issue/s outlined here. 

Please bare in mind that ASRock can only provide such fixes as they have been provided by intel, we are not talking about a manufacturing error here, it is a CPU level issue that is the sole responsibility of intel to correct. Once intel have created a fix (if that is even possible) they will then likely distribute firmware/BIOS updates to board partners to tune to their product lines and release. 

Just like Wardog, I do not speak for ASRock, this is just common sense and a little speculation on my part. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:25pm
A vaguely similar situation involving Intel was the P67 chipset issue, where some of the SATA ports could deteriorate over time, and fail.

A major difference between that issue and the Atom C2000 processor situation is Intel itself announced the problem shortly after the P67 chipset was released and in use in mother boards. So far, Intel has not seemed to acknowledge the situation with the Atom C2000 processor in the same way.

In the case of the P67 chipset, Intel released an updated version of the P67 chipset, labeling it "Generation 3", and provided it to mother board manufactures. The manufactures included it in their P67 products, using the "Gen 3" label to differentiate them in the marketplace. As I recall, mother boards with the defective P67 chipset could be returned to retailers without any questions, and the owner could then get a board with the updated, P67 Gen 3 chipset. Intel absorbed all the costs of this recall.

Assuming the C2000 processor has this problem (not saying it doesn't) then it is up to Intel to make the first move and work with mother board manufactures to deal with it. We will need to wait and see what Intel's reaction to this is, and I'm sure the mother board manufactures are also dependent upon what Intel does.

LucidWaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LucidWaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:23pm
RIP(?) ASRock C2550D4I
28-11-2015 - 27-02-2017

Yesterday, a family member sent me a message saying my server was unreachable. Had a chance to check it out this morning and it wasn't showing FreeNAS on the standard IP, Plex was not working and no image on the monitor that I have hooked up. Hard reboot showed no booting on the screen. 

Unfortunately, I'm no expoert on this area, was glad to get it up and running back when I built it...
Don't know any other way of troubleshooting this, anyone any ideas? Ermm

Was already looking into the possibility to do a preventative hardware swap but time was not on my side...
ASRock C2550D4I User
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
Contact Tech Support directly. There is not much that can be done to troubleshoot SoC based systems aside from swap in another PSU and RAM. 

LucidWaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LucidWaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 7:56pm
Turned off and on again, worked for a few hours, but then it froze again.
Monitor hooked up showed lines like:
"101139 D - 0xfffff80025b0d700 (zio_read_intr_6_0)"
Turning off and on again after sleeping on it and now everything is blank.

Tried IPMI to further troubleshoot but I never actively set it up so was hoping I could deduce some default settings from the ASRock IPMI manual. 192.168.3.1 appeared to be the default address, it was pingable, but none of the IPMI tools I tried worked (tools wouldn't load or couldn't get them compiled correctly). Through Putty the connection got refused.

Looks like it's about RMA time. Unfortunately the Dutch ASRock support just tells you to go the your reseller, but I'm going to try to do it directly through them anyway as I don't have the best experience with resellers handling my RMA's... "Lost" serialnumber stickers causing loss of warranty, those kind of things...

Bonus (not my thread but just to illustrate the C2000 issue): https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/4x1kh1/asrock_c2550d4i_sudden_death/
ASRock C2550D4I User
bitlisz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitlisz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 4:18am
So this is why my C2550D4I sent to RMA 2 times last year, as no boot, just IMPI.

1st board failed after 20 months use in last July (SN: 49M0XD028***),
They happily replaced after one month wait.
2nd board survived only 5 days (SN: 66M0XD9F0***),
3rd board got after 2 weeks, and still Rocks from last Sept (SN: 64M0XD9F0***).

I hope they can have a clear statement which Serial Number range affected.
stewmohr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewmohr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:04pm
I believe I'm seeing similar symptoms.   

System was running perfectly for 11 months, over last 24 hours, the system locked up once (strange), rebooted, it ran for a few hours, locked up, reset again and now will not post, but can access IPMI fine.

When power is applied, fans spin for 2-3 seconds and then stop.  IPMI reports server is "powered off" and trying to power on via IPMI is not successful, tries 3 times and then fails.

Will commence RMA process, bought from the US into Australia, hope it goes ok.  Really disappointed.

FredDB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredDB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
Hi,

I'm the owner of a ASRock C2750D4I mother board. I've bought this MB at the end of march 2017. 
At that time, I was not aware about this problem with the intel Atom C2000 series.
I've contacted the shop where i've bought this MB and they told me that the problem was fixed beginning of february 2017.

Someone knows if this is true? 
If this is true, how can i identify if my cpu is part of the fixed batch (new revision number or other ?).

Thank you!
Fred

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic