ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970A-G/3.1 with FX8350 randomly shuts off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970A-G/3.1 with FX8350 randomly shuts off
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 2:31pm
hey everyone!, so I just completed building my PC and to save myself some time and a bit of reading for yall ill attach a pic.

the problem I am facing is since I put the PC together, it has been randomly turning off, no shutdown sequence, just straight up cut to black and off.. the weird thing is, it doesn't cut power to my fans or my lights. it then boots back up. usually, it runs fine for like 30 minutes to an hour, unless I am trying to do something that is somewhat intensive, like edit a video, or anything other than browse the internet. 

while attempting to troubleshoot this issue I discovered on PCpartpicker that the 970A and the 8350 might have compatibility issues and may need a BIOS update. I am currently on 1.20 and the BIOS updates on the website are also 1.2 but the date on them is about a month later than the date on my boards version of the BIOS. 

with that said, while troubleshooting, I have also heard a lot of talk saying that 970 G boards aren't capable of providing the power needed for an FX8350. included in that I know that this may not specifically apply to my board. this brings up the issue that this processor is power hungry and I have a crap PSU, also a note on my PSU, since this problem began, the power switch on the PSU has not been cutting power to the computer, and I had only used it once prior to any of this.
so, I am faced with 3 potential problems; compatibility issues with both software, and hardware. and possible power issues. do I try to flash my BIOS hoping it isnt an issue with the PSU and it doesn't cut power during the flash and brick my MOBO. or do I get another PSU and hope that fixes it, and if it doesn't then flash my BIOS and again hope it doesn't cut power in the middle?

please guys I need some help! Beer

Athen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 2:36pm
I noticed the pic didnt work so here I will try this

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 3:24pm
Please list your full specs as well as brand and model of PSU. We need to know what kind of load you are putting on your CPU and if it is adequate for the task. Please also note if any parts are used/leftover from another build.
Athen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 4:02pm
970A-G/3.1 with AMD FX 8350 black edition, 8 Gigs DDR3 cant remember what speed exactly but pretty sure it is 1600 (this was from a previous build but only purchased and installed about 4 or 5 months ago. PNY Geforce GT730 and again purchased the same day as the memory. 1TB seagate HDD and a DVDrom all from the original store bought budget PC the PSU is an ARK Industries ATX P4 came with my Ark Technology CS-PA08 that I got on Amazon for 40 bucks at the same time as the MOBO and CPU if it matters, I also have a cooler master hyper 212 evo also purchased with the MOBO and CPU

please let me know if you need any more info

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:14pm
Get a decent PSU and throw that one in the trash. That is a terrible PSU and very likely the root of your problem. Honestly, even if it proves not to be the issue you should replace it anyway so you won't be wasting money Wink

I am fairly certain that is your problem however. Pick up a known brand PSU in the 550w - 600w range. Make sure to read some reviews on sites like newegg on the unit you decide on before you purchase. I would look at something from Seasonic, Corsair, Evga, Zalman, Fortron, Cooler Master etc.
Athen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Athen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 5:38pm
that is what I was thinking... the PSU.  ill replace it at my first opportunity
Savitarstreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savitarstreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 11:06pm
i just got a custom pc from my neighbor, it turns on the motherboard is a asrock 970a- G 3.1   with a fx black 8 core 8350 cpu, i had a 1060 MSI GTX 6 gb, but put an older gpu in it, a founders edition. geforce 660 GTX TI 2gb GPU in it, now, but, with the 1060 gtx , i was testing things out, i have 16gb and tried 8 gb of 1800 mhz ddr 3 , i started fortnite and the game starts, then it asks if i wanto have it pick the best settings for my machine and if i click yes or no, it just does a total SHUT DOWN< , the pc totally shuts down. what could this b
Savitarded the fasted speetard alive
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic