ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Taichi overclocking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Han S. Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Taichi overclocking
    Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:40am
Hey Everybody! 

I found the internet very little user experiences with this motherboard so I decided to create an account and share some of mine.

I hope others share their also. Smile

Setup:
Taichi
i7-7700K Delidded (Batch L649H775)
2x8GB Tridentz 3600 cl16
Air cooling ATM

System runs stable 5ghz, cache 4.8ghz @ 1.32V. 
DRAM 3733 15-15-15-32 @ 1.38V.
Bios: Beta 1.31
Max. temps @ IBT ~75c

5.1ghz requires a lot more juice, something around 1.4V.
Memory at 3866 cl16 system boot's up with ~1.5V but won't be stable, I tried to increase VCCSA and VCCIO up to 1.3V but no help. 3733 cl14 work's fine. (I know, Taichi only supports memory up to 3733MHz) 

I hope OC Formula comes soon. Wink

Anyways. In this price point i think this is a great motherboard!
Nice looking, BIOS with enough settings and easy to use, SLI, ac wlan, a good audio codec and at least enough other features!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:59am
Thanks for sharing!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 8:54am
Indeed. Thanks for sharing!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
Yes, thanks for posting your experience. Thumbs Up

When I saw the thread title, I was worried it was an X99 Taichi owner with a Broadwell HEDT CPU, complaining about the OC potential. If you really want to OC on an X99 system, get a Haswell HEDT CPU. As long as you can that is, Haswell HEDT processors will be EOL soon.

Your OC is great, deliding is a big help of course, once you're at 4.8GHz or beyond. The VCore you can use is great, I never tried pushing mine that low. With no delid and air cooling, 4.9GHz on an i7-7700K is difficult to keep cool during stress testing.

We had a guy here that had an i7-6700K at 5.1GHz, with a 1.52V VCore, no delid I think, custom water cooled, with the Z170 Extreme7+ board.

While I've read about all the contempt in some forums for Kaby Lake processors due to their lack of IPC performance improvement, the stock and Turbo clock speeds are high, and can almost reach 5GHz with a decent board without too much work. If you can reach ~5GHz at ~1.4V VCore, and 4.8GHz at 1.38V on air, delidded, that is great.

About the memory speed, once you get beyond 3600, 16GB will be very difficult to maintain. The memory controller may not be able handle it, and the shielding and placement of the DRAM traces on the board are either not practical, too expensive, or both. You might get close to 4000 with only one 8GB DIMM, or two 4GB DIMMs. Nice tight timings at 3600, in real terms I doubt you'd get any performance benefit going faster.

Han S. Olo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Han S. Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 1:01am
Thanks for the replies! :)

I am quite a happy with these oc results. Heroes of Might And Magic III seems to be playable. LOL

Kaby Lake benefits a lot from temperatures. With custom loop i could be 5.1ghz stable but with air i am not. Who knows.

I've seen many Samsung B-die memory owners to get their's 4133+ stable with nice timings and reasonable voltages, especially with Apex (Doh, it is designed for memory overclocking).

This CPU is also tested with Apex, with 1.32Vcore running 5.1ghz and 4.9ghz cache.
But it wasn't fully stability tested so i really can't compare these two.

Taichi is a very good all-rounder.

But i look forward to test this chip with custom loop and Z270 OC Formula. (Hope it comes some day)
Why? Because it is wise and i need more performance? Absolutely not. Because tweaking and money spending is fun? Yes! Yes! Yes! Approve
SerpentXSF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SerpentXSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:03pm
I recently stepped into the 7700k life, and love this Z270 Taichi.
I noticed that I am unable to get above 4.8 Ghz stable, so I have some tweaking to do, as I moved from a 2500k to this, I am researching new features. AVX, and others to ensure I get a stable overclock, I have yet to delid my cpu, but have all the tools. I was trying to see if I can overclock without it, before I risk it, but with the tool I have, it makes it so easy the risk factor diminishes. 

(Delids Done on 2 Ivy bridges, and 2 haswells, so I know how, but any pointers to give?)

Question: To get to 5 Ghz on the board, anything I need to know before attempting?

I already hit 4.9 but not stable, 4.8 Ghz is stable with offset applied.

Any insight, "Do's or Donts" would be must appreciated.

I have been overclocking since 2007 but Tech has changes, settings renamed, and systems revamped. 
SerpentX
Z270 Taich, Intel 7700k
G.Skill TridentZ 3200
960 Evo and 850 Evo
Aorus 1080 Ti

Hakka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hakka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:59am
I also hit a limit with my 7700K and stuck at 4.8Ghz / 4.5Ghz Cache @ 1.26v though it is stable. I did not touch the AVX offset. I have similar hardware as the first poster, but haven't delid it. Temperatures are already reaching 85c in Prime95 on water cooling, but all of the latest AAA games never gets above 80c. I've tried 4.9-5Ghz up to 1.4v and eventually crashes in Windows 10. Looks like a delid is in order to get anything beyond 4.8Ghz with more comfortable temperatures if I wish to pursue anything higher.

I've also found something that may be interesting to everyone. In a video comparison with a similar board Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 and MSI Gaming M7 Z270. The default i7 7700K CPU voltages were higher with Asrock than MSI and takes more voltages to get to the same overclocked speeds. CPU lottery is one thing, but it would seem there may be limitations with certain motherboards in different price ranges to take into account as well.

Having said that, I'm still happy with my purchase and overclock results. This Z270 Taichi is still a great value for the features it comes with.

Edited by Hakka - 28 Mar 2017 at 6:02am
lantony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lantony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 5:56pm
Hi there, i also just got this motherboard and so far the impressions are contrasting.
I come from an MSI Z170 Gaming PRO, where i was able to OC my CPU stable to 5ghz, 5ghz cache, ram XMP 3200 (vcore 1.38 in full which was set to 1.36 +0.0005v offset). Now with ASROCK i have tons of additional oc options in the bios but so far i am stable at 1.39v fixed vcore, 5050Mhz cpu 3,8Ghz cache, LLC lvl2,  but looks like i cannot activate the XMP on the ram or i am unstable. Moreover i have an increase of temperatures of about 8c° over my previous motherboard!I have disabled the same stuff that i did in the MSI:  HPET, spread spectrum, intel Virtualization, intel c states, intel turbo boost....

Anybody knows what can it be? I see there's a beta bios (1.31) which says: Improve Temperature under BIOS setup, and another bios (1.34) which shows "Improve some DRAM margin" it is safe to flash beta bios and would one of these bios help?

Also anybody that can share screenshot of the BIOS so that i might be able to get some additional tricks?

Edited by lantony - 04 Apr 2017 at 6:01pm
Asrock Z270 Taichi v1.30
i5 7600k @ 5ghz
16gb Corsair Vengeance LED 3200
Corsair H80i
Zotac 1070 GTX AMP
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:26pm
Take into consideration that you have moved from a Z170 to a Z270 chip set and different board manufacturer and may not be able to copy and paste UEFI settings.

It is not necessary to run XMP to have a stable o/c or extract max measurable performance. The easiest way to load an XMP profile (if it's compatible with your new board) is with UEFI defaults,...then over clock. Just keep in mind that it may limit your o/c or not work at all :(

The mods will help you with the correct ram slots and UEFI settings.
roccale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 5:52pm
I have tried many configuration to use my ram:
GALAX HOF 4000 B-DIE
PATRIOT VIPER 4 3733 B-DIE
with command rate 1t but apparently seems impossible.
Even at low frequency ram as 3200 ....
The taichi at this point do 4 fake boot and reset default ...
Someone have a screen with asrock timing configurator settings at 1t that really works?
Someone good screen with asrock timing configurator and good settings for b-die ram?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
HAVE A NICE DAY TO ALL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic