ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X99 ECC 32GB sticks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alkersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X99 ECC 32GB sticks
    Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:22am
Does this board support any 32GB ECC sticks, e.g: Crucial CT32G4RFD424A or Kingston KVR24R17D4/32? I expect it to work if paired with Xeon e5, but I didn't find any ECC modules in the QVL.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:26am
Do a search in here. I'm reasonably sure this has been discussed and determined already.
alkersan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alkersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 2:39am
No luck. All the Taichi related posts here are about cpu/ssd support and other issues.
draftstudios View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draftstudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 3:43am
FWIW I'm trying to run 2x Kingston KVR24R17D4/32 on x99e-itx and am hitting issues installing any modern OS.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:30am
draftstudios,

See the below thread. Or explain what issues you're having if you want to attempt to work past them with the sticks you have.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3472&KW=&title=asrock-x99eitx-ac-64gb-ram

hth

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Do a search in here. I'm reasonably sure this has been discussed and determined already.

alkersan, here's the two Threads I was thinking of:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3472&KW=&title=asrock-x99eitx-ac-64gb-ram

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3454&KW=&title=fatal1ty-x99m-killer-possible-with-128gb-ram

Looks like Crucial CT32G4RFD4213 32GB sticks.

I'll contact my "insider' and have them test these on the Taichi X99 and post back here when I get a reply.

And yes. They do have four 32GB sticks on hand and yes this particular Crucial is on a few ASRock X99 QVLs. So it sounds good.

Hang tight.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by alkersan alkersan wrote:

Does this board support any 32GB ECC sticks, e.g: Crucial CT32G4RFD424A or Kingston KVR24R17D4/32? I expect it to work if paired with Xeon e5, but I didn't find any ECC modules in the QVL.

The specifications for the X99 Taichi state ECC memory is supported with Xeon E5 processors, check the Memory section:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification

Actually, I see an entry for an ECC type of memory in the Memory QVL, it is even labeled as "(ECC)". Although just a 4GB DIMM model, this one:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/x99-taichi/CT9170626

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Taichi/index.asp#Memory

I suggest waiting for a response from wardog about which ECC memory model(s) are compatible, DDR4 memory can be finicky about compatibility.

That is primarily true for the PC enthusiast, non-ECC types of over clocking DDR4, that the memory manufactures want you to believe works with any of the current three Intel DDR4 compatible systems. That has proven to be false, the XMP profiles on that type of DDR4 memory can cause POST to fail with some memory models.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The specifications for the X99 Taichi state ECC memory is supported with Xeon E5 processors, check the Memory section:

Yes. That needs stressed. Only while using a Xeon. No i7 support.
alkersan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alkersan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:07pm
Thank you, wardog

I've read the threads you've mentioned and still have doubts. I already have this motherboard and plan to buy Xeon e5-1650v4 and fill it with 8 sticks 32GB each, so I'll end up with 256 GB total. But it would be disappointing to figure out an incompatibility after the purchase.
I've also issued a request to the ASRock Tech Support, but from the posts on this forum it seems that your path via "insider" is usually much faster )
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by alkersan alkersan wrote:

Thank you, wardog

I've read the threads you've mentioned and still have doubts. I already have this motherboard and plan to buy Xeon e5-1650v4 and fill it with 8 sticks 32GB each, so I'll end up with 256 GB total. But it would be disappointing to figure out an incompatibility after the purchase.
I've also issued a request to the ASRock Tech Support, but from the posts on this forum it seems that your path via "insider" is usually much faster )

Don't fret over 256GB.

I've been reassured that any and all ASRock BIOSes and motherboards will function with as much memory that any particular processor can physically address. And of course, there's that nasty X99 memory compatibility that must be adhered too also.

The 128GB notation on/in the Specs is a right hand left hand issue. The web page writer obviously is not conscious that 32GB sticks have made their way to market. Unfortunately, the Techs don't author web pages.

I should hear back in another 24hrs or so. Maybe a tad longer. It's the weekend.

PM me in two days though if I haven't yet replied here to keep me on top of this so I don't go off and forget. Yea. sh*t happens every now and then. Me bad Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic