ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3 - Not Detecting SSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CasualPidgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen 3 - Not Detecting SSD
    Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 4:14pm
I have an issue where my Asrock z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 motherboard all of a sudden no longer detects the existence of my Crucial M4 128GB SSD which I have been using as my boot drive for nearly 5 years now.

It was running perfectly fine until I helped a friend test if his GPU was broken.  The video card had to be RMA'ed, and I also tested a working copy of that GPU in my machine that day. I installed the associated drivers for the RX480 (AMD Radeon 16.7.2) and Unigine while testing. 

When I came to turn my PC on later that afternoon, I discovered that my computer no longer recognises my SSD. It does, however, recognise my HDD's perfectly fine. I have tried every combination of SATA port, SATA cable and power cable for each drive, and it consistently only doesn't register my SSD. 

In addition, I have connected my SSD to another working computer, and not only does it recognise it but I can even boot to the copy of windows that is installed on that drive, ruling out the SSD being broken.

I tried using the windows command prompts in the installer to rebuild the boot partition (even though it doesn't appear to be broken), flashing my SSD's drivers and even updating my motherboard to the most up to date BIOS listed on Asrock's website; yet my motherboard will not recognise my ssd. 

I have tried creating a system image of my ssd and attempting to restore the drive from that, but I have got the error saying "This system image was made on EFI, and your computer is using BIOS". 

I'm honestly very confused at this point as to what is the correct path way to getting my ssd to boot on my pc. Any advise is greatly appreciated. 

System:

Intel i7-2600k
Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen 3 
MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr
Corsair 8GB  DDR3 
Crucial M4 128gb SSD (Boot Drive)
WD Red 2tb (storage)
WD Black 2tb (storage)
Windows 10 64-Bit

Edited by CasualPidgeon - 26 Feb 2017 at 4:14pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
Did you clear CMOS when testing your friend's GPU?

It sounds like your system is set to legacy now and it was set to UEFI previously. Try changing the PCI ROM Priority to UEFI under your Boot section in the UEFI.
CasualPidgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CasualPidgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 6:35pm
I didn't during the testing of my friend's GPU however, I have tried it before posting to this thread with no success.

My motherboard does not have an option to set it to UEFI mode under PCI ROM priority, but it does have EFI Compatible. I have tried using this setting with no success as well. 

Edited by CasualPidgeon - 26 Feb 2017 at 6:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic