ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

instant flash choice not available?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: instant flash choice not available?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:09pm
I have the brand new asrock fatal1ty x370 gaming professional board, and it shipped with bios version P1.20 and the latest is P1.40, and I can't seem to figure out how to flash it?

There is no instant flash at startup menu, just del to enter uefi or f11 to select boot menu.

Any suggestions? I tried following the convoluted directions to download the bios file and a flashing file from the efi shell, but that didn't work for me. it can't seem to find any files on the flash drive when I select it through the blkF: choice it shows as USB on the screen of drives.....

Any help here?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm
The instant flash tool in the UEFI under the "Tools" tab Wink
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:53pm
That's where I thought it should also be, but alas, tis not :)

http://imgur.com/a/uovrU

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 3:32pm
I just now noticed this is an AM4 board....

I don't have one yet to check for myself. That is very odd, it is always under tools. 

Looking at your user manual it is listed under tools too Confused It looks like you may have gotten a pre-production BIOS. I usually advise against the windows flash tools but it looks like that may be your only option Ermm One would hope the updated UEFI will restore the instant flash tool to it's correct location in the UEFI.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:48pm
Please go to the BIOS d/l page for your board and once there you will notice the teal EFI SHELL, click on it and you will be presented with instructions on now using the EFI Shell to update the BIOS
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:56pm
before I chase my tail any further on this, are there specific requirements as to how to usb drive I will be using is formatted? GPT, FAT, NTFS etc... ?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:19pm
Sorry for the confusion. It's all new to us Moderators here too Ouch

FAT32

Keep us posted please.
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:24pm
I was able to get it to flash finally. Instant flash is still missing in the uefi under tools though LOL

http://imgur.com/a/QHVRh

I couldn't get it to flash from the usb drive, so I unzipped the efi tool and the bios file to the root of my c drive, which is fs:0 and was able to do it from there.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by wmunn wmunn wrote:

I was able to get it to flash finally. Instant flash is still missing in the uefi under tools though LOL

http://imgur.com/a/QHVRh

I couldn't get it to flash from the usb drive, so I unzipped the efi tool and the bios file to the root of my c drive, which is fs:0 and was able to do it from there.

Interesting. I'll make note of that.

Again, sorry for your confusion. It's a learning curve here for us Moderators also.
wmunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 3:03am
that was short lived, after flashing it, it attempted to boot windows again and it hung up hard. I tried flashing back and that didn't help matters any.

To be honest the board was acting kind of funny prior even when I first set it up. There would be long post delays, and sometimes it would turn on, turn off, turn on and do that like 3 or 4 times before booting up. I am going to assume at this point it is a defective board, which is why it acted so strangely. I was able to get a few runs of cinebench out of it, and it seemed chunky at time. This was with all the drivers loaded as well. I ended up putting my video card back into my old computer and that is how I am on the internet for now. 

Looks like this board is going back to newegg. Might as well return the memory as well, as it appears Ryzen will never need 3600 speed ram. Might as well just get cheaper 3200 kit.
I paid over $400 for G.skill trident Z RGB (4x8) in DDR4 3600.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic