ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DeskMini 110 & Kaby Lake & BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DeskMini 110 & Kaby Lake & BIOS
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 3:18am
Will I be able to do a boot with Kaby Lake, so I can flash a new BIOS?
If not, what will I have to do?
I do not have a Skylake CPU !

Thanks 
John
TheRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:56am
LOL

Next time buy a motherboard with training wheels.
Asrock MB are for PROS.
Clap
The Rock
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by John Z John Z wrote:

Will I be able to do a boot with Kaby Lake, so I can flash a new BIOS?
If not, what will I have to do?
I do not have a Skylake CPU !

Thanks 
John

With a DeskMini 110, you cannot start the PC with a Kaby Lake processor, unless the board has a UEFI/BIOS version of 7.00 or greater. The BIOS chip on the board has a sticker on it with the UEFI/BIOS version from the factory.

Sorry to say, the only way you can install a Kaby Lake processor compatible UEFI/BIOS version is with a Skylake processor. That is a limitation from Intel, different processor generations need their own CPU microcode, which is part of the UEFI/BIOS update. Intel has never been able to provide a workaround for this limitation.

This applies to any Intel 100 series chipset board (DeskMini 110 uses the Intel H110 chipset), and is not limited to the DeskMini 110 PC.

This situation should be provided by retailers on their websites, or by their staff at retail stores. We get questions about this all the time, retailers need to do a better job informing their customers
Stefan75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:19pm
There seem to be BIOS flash services, like https://www.biosflash.com/e/index.htm
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 6:33am
Went to PB electronics and they sold me the mini 110. they also recommend the Kaby lake. I went home and i was not able to access any visuals so loading was impossible. I took it back yesterday and they swapped the cpu so that they could changed the bios. they then put the kaby lake back in and it is perfect. just about to boot her up but at least I can see the screen.hope this helps.P.S thaClapnk you for the post that put me on to the issue I spent all weekend thinking I was doing something wrong.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 6:52am
Originally posted by camster camster wrote:

Went to PB electronics and they sold me the mini 110. they also recommend the Kaby lake. I went home and i was not able to access any visuals so loading was impossible. I took it back yesterday and they swapped the cpu so that they could changed the bios. they then put the kaby lake back in and it is perfect. just about to boot her up but at least I can see the screen.hope this helps.P.S thaClapnk you for the post that put me on to the issue I spent all weekend thinking I was doing something wrong.

Glad it helped you. Nothing worse than having no idea what is wrong, except not being able to fix it with what you have available to you.

I don't know anything about PB Electronics, but if they were not aware of the need for a compatible UEFI/BIOS in order to use a Kaby Lake processor in a Skylake chipset board, that is not very impressive.

Did you inform them about this situation, or did someone in that store know about it?

I'm not sure off the top of my head I know how many times this situation occurred with new Intel processor in the previous generation board, there are so many of them. It's at least five. Certainly not the first time this has happened, just since Sandy Bridge processors were introduced.
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:02am
one of the technicians knew as soon as I told him about the post. it only took about 15 min and was free of charge. the sales guy was forced to do it as the tech instructed him. I thought that was brilliant.
where do I look to find out how to load everything on. I plugged in my external drive but wont boot from it?. I last booted a new build computer about 20 years ago when they all contained their own hard drives so this new build is a great way to catch up.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:36am
Originally posted by camster camster wrote:

one of the technicians knew as soon as I told him about the post. it only took about 15 min and was free of charge. the sales guy was forced to do it as the tech instructed him. I thought that was brilliant.
where do I look to find out how to load everything on. I plugged in my external drive but wont boot from it?. I last booted a new build computer about 20 years ago when they all contained their own hard drives so this new build is a great way to catch up.

What is on your external drive? A version of Windows from another PC? Connected how, with a USB port?

Or is that external drive an optical disk drive, and you are trying to load the driver disk that came with your DeskMini 110?

Did you install a 2.5" drive in your DeskMini 110? New PCs contain their own drives now two, but one is not included with the DeskMini 110. You get a lot for your money with this little PC, but not a drive. Any PC we build must have at least one drive installed by the owner.

Twenty years is a long time, things have changed significantly. Are you hoping to use your external drive as the OS drive? You did not give us any details.

Your PC's full user manual can be found on the page below, but it sounds like you may need more help than the manual contains:

http://www.asrock.com/support/support.asp?Model=DeskMini%20110%20Series&cat=Manual&Chipset=Intel%20H110
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:35am
sorry hard week at work. was wondering before I start if it is easier and better to load windows 7 or 10.
have kaby lake pentium G4560, crucial 8gb ddr4 2133, kingston ssdnow uv400 240gb 2.5 sata3. once i know what to poad it will be better. 
camster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:38am
sorry forgot transcend cd dvd burner player external usb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic