ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vengeance LPX compatible with Z270 Pro 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustbag1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vengeance LPX compatible with Z270 Pro 4
    Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:29am
I used PC Part picker to select some DDR4 memory for my Z270 Pro 4 motherboard.

I purchased 2 x 8Gb Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C

Unfortunately if I load the XMP profile it doesn't boot at all. I have tried a range of speeds/timings and the only speed I can boot at is 2133Mhz which is a lot less than the 3200MHz I expected.

Has anyone else used this memory with this motherboard or should I return it and get something else?

Thanks
ASRock Z270 Pro4,I5-7600K@4.2GHz,16Gb HyperX @3000,Corsair 500Gb SSD and 3Tb HD, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro,Corsair H100, Windows 10 64bit
Infinitum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinitum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
I have the exact same problem with the z270 extreme 4 the XMP works in single channel but not in dual i moved both sticks to single channel mode.

The thing is its listed as working in the list, i guess we have to wait till BIOS update...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Infinitum Infinitum wrote:

I have the exact same problem with the z270 extreme 4 the XMP works in single channel but not in dual i moved both sticks to single channel mode.

The thing is its listed as working in the list, i guess we have to wait till BIOS update...

While it is listed in ASRocks QVL for this board, I'd liked each of you two to call or email Corsair and ask them why they do not list a single ASRock Z270 board in their online Memory Finder.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

Personally I find it incredulous they do not.

Then ask them of compatibility on your kits too. Have your kits at hand when you call or include both sticks Serial Numbers if you email.

Keep me posted please

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Dustbag1969 Dustbag1969 wrote:

I used PC Part picker to select some DDR4 memory for my Z270 Pro 4 motherboard.

I purchased 2 x 8Gb Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C

Unfortunately if I load the XMP profile it doesn't boot at all. I have tried a range of speeds/timings and the only speed I can boot at is 2133Mhz which is a lot less than the 3200MHz I expected.

Has anyone else used this memory with this motherboard or should I return it and get something else?

Thanks

Sorry you are having this problem. We have seen many users with issues when using XMP profiles with DDR4 memory for some reason. That is common with any manufacture's mother boards.

Some things you can try:

First, clear the BIOS/CMOS. You should do this every time you insert new memory in a board, or move it to different memory slots.

In the DRAM Configuration screen, don't select the XMP profile. Instead, use the DRAM Tweaker feature on that screen. Just check every item in the 3200 list, including voltage. Then Save and Exit the UEFI/BIOS and see if it completes POST.

When using DIMMs of 8GB or larger, it can help to put them in the A1 and B1 slots. At least that is what was recommended in the past. Worth trying.

Find the MRC Fast Boot option at the bottom of the DRAM Configuration screen. Set it to Disabled. That will cause Memory Training to occur, which helps with memory compatibility. If this helps with your memory, leave this option disabled for several starts/restarts. Then try enabling it again, if you like faster PC startups.

I copied the model number (CMK16GX4M2B3200) of your memory into Corsair's Memory Finder tool, and it was not found. That was on Corsair's USA website. I see that model number in the Memory QVL, and searching on that number produces results, so it does exist. Possibly not sold in the USA market?
Dustbag1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustbag1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 8:58pm
Thank you for your suggestions.

I have boxed the memory up ready to send back to Amazon but I might try a few of your suggestions and if still no luck send them back on Monday.

One of the suggestions was to switch the memory from Dual channel to Single channel.
Could you tell me how I do this and what sort of effect it has on performance?

Thanks

ASRock Z270 Pro4,I5-7600K@4.2GHz,16Gb HyperX @3000,Corsair 500Gb SSD and 3Tb HD, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro,Corsair H100, Windows 10 64bit
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have boxed the memory up ready to send back to Amazon but I might try a few of your suggestions and if still no luck send them back on Monday.

One of the suggestions was to switch the memory from Dual channel to Single channel.
Could you tell me how I do this and what sort of effect it has on performance?

Thanks

Sure, most boards have two memory channels, marked A and B. Each channel has two slots, so all four slots are marked A1 A2 B1 B2.

Instead of using slots A2 and B2 as we normally do, just put the memory in slots B1 and B2, or A1 and A2. The slots are numbered on the board, or you can check the manual. Nothing to change in the UEFI/BIOS or anywhere else.

In theory, you will get half the memory bandwidth using one channel only, makes sense. What will happen in a test of that should be one half the bandwidth, but I've never tried that myself.

I'm serious about not using the XMP profile, and using the DRAM Tweaker feature instead. I've been doing it that way with DDR4 memory for a while now.
Infinitum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinitum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:35am
Im going to try the OC tweaker etc and call up corsair when i have some time if none of that works maybe return the ram like the gentleman above.

when you use the tweaker does it alter the xmp profile of the ram ?
Dustbag1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dustbag1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:57am
Hi All,

Tried two sticks in Single channel - Didn't work
Tried one stick in single channel - Didn't work
Tried DRAM Tweaker in UEFI and ticked all of the options for XMP 3200Mhz and clicked Apply not being very optimistic of success - System booted up Smile

Thank you Parsec for your suggestion as I was convinced this wouldn't work but very very happy to be proven wrong.

This is the 2nd set of memory I have tried on this new motherboard and I realise now that the first set was probably OK if I had done the same as I have done today.

Hopefully I finally have a stable system

Thanks again for excellent support on this forum Clap

Infinitum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinitum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:19am

Hi All,

Tried two sticks in Single channel - Didn't work
Tried one stick in single channel - Didn't work
Tried DRAM Tweaker in UEFI and ticked all of the options for XMP 3200Mhz and clicked Apply not being very optimistic of success - System booted up Smile

Thank you Parsec for your suggestion as I was convinced this wouldn't work but very very happy to be proven wrong.

This is the 2nd set of memory I have tried on this new motherboard and I realise now that the first set was probably OK if I had done the same as I have done today.

Hopefully I finally have a stable system

Thanks again for excellent support on this forum Clap

Did the same but only managed to get 3000 failed to boot at 3200 if i increase voltage will that help?
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:03pm
Sometimes a little cpu voltage increase may help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic