ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASMedia USB3.1 not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASMedia USB3.1 not working
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:47am
The ASMedia 3.1 (both C and A ports) on my Z270 Extreme4 are not working. I tried updating the driver to the latest I could find (1.16.38.1) but it makes no difference. I have 5v power but no devices connect. With both the old driver and the new one, I sometimes see a drive letter in device manager for a few seconds, then it goes to "unknown device." Suggestions?
(FWIW, in another place I found the recommendation to use Driver Booster. It found eight "outdated" drivers but said the USB3.1 driver was the latest. After DB updated my drivers, my computer would not boot. Fortunately, I had a fresh backup [TrueIamge]. Altho TI said the restore would not boot, it does.)
John
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:38am
Originally posted by FijiJohn FijiJohn wrote:

The ASMedia 3.1 (both C and A ports) on my Z270 Extreme4 are not working. I tried updating the driver to the latest I could find (1.16.38.1) but it makes no difference. I have 5v power but no devices connect. With both the old driver and the new one, I sometimes see a drive letter in device manager for a few seconds, then it goes to "unknown device." Suggestions?
(FWIW, in another place I found the recommendation to use Driver Booster. It found eight "outdated" drivers but said the USB3.1 driver was the latest. After DB updated my drivers, my computer would not boot. Fortunately, I had a fresh backup [TrueIamge]. Altho TI said the restore would not boot, it does.)

What version of Windows are you using?

I have a similar board, the Z270 Gaming K6, with the Asmedia USB 3.0/3.1 XHCI Driver ver:1.16.38.1 installed. This board has the same two USB 3.1 ports, the standard and a USB Type C.

I have a (supposedly) USB 3.1 flash drive, and a USB 3.0 flash drive with a type C connector. Both work fine, I can have both connected at the same time and display picture files from each without any problems. No waiting for the pictures to be displayed, the performance is very fast.

I have Windows 10 configured to automatically open and display the files in Windows Explorer when a USB flash drive is connected. The Explorer windows opens very quickly when the drives are connected to the IO panel. How do you have USB flash drive connections configured?

I've tried multiple USB flash drives on those USB ports, and they all worked fine. I just copied 4GB+ from one USB flash drive to another between the two ASMedia USB 3.1 ports, and it worked fine.

How did you install the basic drivers for your OS installation on that PC? Is it a fresh Windows installation? The TI backup that booted is curious, and makes me wonder about your Windows installation.

You should have a Device Manager entry for the ASMedia USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller. If you check that Device Manager entry, the events and resources tabs, do you see any problems or errors shown?

Using Drive Booster was an obvious mistake. Any idea what drivers were updated? It obviously has no clue how to do what it is supposed to do. Many basic drivers require a restart of the PC after it has been installed, delaying that with multiple drivers is a mistake. Don't bother using that program again.

New drivers are not always better drivers, there are many cases of new driver versions that were later removed due to problems, even from sources such as Intel and Nvidia.

About all I can suggest at this point is to uninstall the USB 3.1 driver installed now, restart the PC, and install the ASMedia version 1.16.38.1 driver again. ASMedia driver installers usually offer you to check the driver installation log when the driver installation is complete.

It is potentially possible that the ASMedia 3.1 chip on your board is not working, but it is too early to decide that is true.
FijiJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:32am
Thank you for the good info. This is a fresh Win 10 Pro install. I used the CD to install the driver. However, before I got to the ASMedia driver Win10 installed one on its own (which did not work). I then installed the 1.16.38.1 driver. It's as if it ALMOST works, giving me a drive letter, and even sometimes pops up a window for E: drive, but then it goes away. If I use a flash drive the light starts rapidly flashing for a while and then I get error messages. I have tried two different USB3.0 flash drives and a USB 3.1 to SATA dock cable (Startouch). Same behavior  for all.
And yes, I have it configured to open a window and show files. (It sometimes does pop open a window but there no files get listed.)
I have tried removing and re-installing but it did not help. Starting to feel like it's a bad chip.
John
FijiJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:47am
I should have provided more info I suspect, but not sure what else to say. I am using a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 and other than the 3.1 ports, I am loving this motherboard. The boot time and app launch times are really short. :) I am using both USB3 headers for four USB ports in the front. Just more convenient than using the ports on the back. I work on a lot of machines and do a lot with multiple drives so USB3 docks and front ports are really nice.

I just tried once more, using the ASMedia driver to remove the old one, reboot, and install 1.16.38.1 again. No change. Any other things to try?
John
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:14am
Give me a sec .......
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:06am
That's the latest version of the driver.

What sticks are you using, and, is an external/internal USB Hub or Reader involved here?

BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration ; Enable "XHCI Hand-off" , reboot, and retry.

Please post back your results after performing the above.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

That's the latest version of the driver.

What sticks are you using, and, is an external/internal USB Hub or Reader involved here?

BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration ; Enable "XHCI Hand-off" , reboot, and retry.

Please post back your results after performing the above.

BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration ; Enable "XHCI Hand-off" , Save and Exit, reboot, and retry.
FijiJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
Thank you, but it did not change anything.
John
no1yak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:52pm
I also have problems with Asmedia 3.1. If I try to use any ASM drivers then the 3.1 ports don't work.
Go back to MS driver and everything works as it should.

My board is a Z270 Gaming K6, running Win 10 Pro x64, with latest updates.  No problem using Microsoft driver.  Don't know what ASM chip Asrock is using on this board but, my Asus Hero IX has the same problem and that chip is a ASM 2142.
FijiJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FijiJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 5:06am
Same Win 10 Pro x64, with latest updates here. However, in my case the Microsoft 1.10 driver (10.0.14393.0 rs1_release) does NOT work. I get the same behavior as with the ASMedia driver.
John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic