ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

C236 WSI and Kaby Lake support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBigS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C236 WSI and Kaby Lake support
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 6:47pm
Hello @all,

i would like to build a NAS with Freenas 10 Corral. Therefor i need a good server-mainboard with ECC support and Intel NICs. I would like to use the Intel Pentium G4560 (Kaby Lake). For me it seams, that the Asrock C236 WSI is the perfect mainboard for my project.

At the CPU compatibility list i don't find the Pentium G4560. But, on this list the i5-7500(B0) (Kaby Lake) is listed.

So my questions are:

1. Does the C236 WSI support Kaby Lake CPUs?
2. Is there a BIOS update for Kaby Lake support?
3. Is it posible to perform the BIOS update with an Kaby Lake CPU?
4. Will there soon a new Version of the C236 WSI?

Thank you all!

Edited by TheBigS - 21 Mar 2017 at 4:20am
Kelxin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelxin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:33am
So I went ahead and purchased this motherboard and want to point out a couple things and answer a couple of your questions (since ASROCK ignores support requests completely)

1. Right now, no, the C236 WSI does NOT support Kaby Lake CPU's.   
2. There is listed a bios update under supported processors to enable support for them.
3. If you go to the download section, the P2.10 bios update is NO WHERE TO BE FOUND.
4. If you try to go to the FTP sites directly to find that update, directory listing is blocked.
5. You can NOT update the bios with a Kaby Lake CPU installed (it won't post at all).
6. ASRock doesn't answer support requests, so everything is at their own time.

So if you need Kaby Lake on this board, you'll need to wait for them to post the bios update, and have a 6th gen CPU handy to post and flash the bios, that is, whenever ASRock actually posts the bios to be able to download it.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:08am
TheBigS and Kelxin, please read

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4623&title=c236-wsi-mitx-kaby-lake
TheBigS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBigS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 3:31pm
Thank you for your hint. I asked the Asrock support and got this answer:

We are planning to update the bios for Kaby lake support for this board around the end of April.( These are in Lab phase at the moment) Please keep an eye on our website.

So hopefully we will soon get an working update.
Carouser2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carouser2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:12am
I have been a very patient grasshopper, and when I wasn't looking the E3 1245v6 is now available in Australia. 

I have been planning my build and researching my requirements settling on the Skylake CPU that I was about to but this week. But now I am back to researching and waiting to see if issues everyone is posting about do indeed get resolved in a timely fashion.

I have not bought ram as yet and am wondering whether the Kaby Lake CPU have an effect on the ram for the C236 MB.  I have read that Kaby Lake supports up to 2400MHz ram and wonder if the more prevalent registered ECC ram sticks might be used instead of unbuffered.  

I'll get back to being patient........

REALfreaky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REALfreaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:36pm
So, I contacted support today and received the following message:
Kaby Lake BIOS support is still on finalizing stage. Once it is ready, the official version will be publicly released. For now, please temporarily use the unofficial version until the public release.

Attached to the support email was BIOS ROM v2.08 for the C236 WSI. I "instant flash"d it to my C236 and it's working perfectly with the G3930 I stupidly bought without proper research. I'm not sure if it's against the rules or anything but here's the zip for v2.08 that I was sent: C236 WSI(2.08)ROM.zip
I assume that P2.10 will be the final version once everything is vetted. Luckily v2.08 is tying me (and my client) over for now.
Maxxis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxxis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:08am
I know this is an old thread... posting just in case.
Does anyone have a newer bios for the C236 WSI motherboard? Having issues with mine and running out of options. And support completely ignores requests
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic