ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Cool & Quiet breaks overclock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Cool & Quiet breaks overclock
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:30pm
When a manual overclock is set in BIOS, e.g. 3.8GHz on all cores and 1.35v, and Cool & Quiet option is disabled, the system boots and runs as expected an all utilities show 3.8GHz or just below; 3.795 or the like. Benchmarks return results as expected; CPU-Z Bench Stress multi-core runs around 19500. If the only change made is to enable Cool & Quiet, the system now boots and Ryzen Master shows 2.7GHz in the speed "dial". Windows Task Manager on the Performance tab shows Max CPU speed 3.8GHz, and when under stress Actual Speed just under 2.7; again around 2.695. CPU-Z Bench Stress shows just over 14000 which implies that the numbers are not being reported wrong and the CPU is actually running slower; a lot slower. AIDA64, when stressing, shows 100% utilization, yet task manager shows all CPU threads running only exactly at 80%. This is just bizarre. I would prefer if when idle the CPU would clock down to save CPU life, power, and heat. The same testing with C & Q enabled works fine when core clock is set to auto; 3.0 and 3.2 on all cores max. Everything shows and works normally then; other than running a little slower. It seems to be the combination of C & Q and manual overclock; same 2.7GHz when I tried 3.5 GHz manual overclock.

Anyone else seen this? Is this common behavior of C & Q when manually overclocked? Is it assumed that if you push the CPU you never want it to down clock when idle? My I5-6600K speed steps down find from 4.5GHz OC and appears to go much lower in clock down than Ryzen will; lowest I saw was around 2.3Ghz when I used the successful Auto core clock with C & Q option. 

Any info would be appreciated!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:45am
AMD highly suggests that the Windows Power Plan you are running be set in Performance mode.

Check what yours is and post back please.
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:58am
Yes. It is set to the High Power mode. That is the only change of the various web setting modifications made; did NOT change the high speed interrupt setting nor the SMT to 0.
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:50am

I have the same issue ..  
ASRock  Fatal1ty Gaming K4  AB350 

When I use stock nothing problem but  -> when I  OC  to 3.7 Ghz +1.25v ( I have updated bios 1.43) after when I run  Cinebench it shows me 3.7Ghz  but meanwhile CPU-Z showing me 2694 Mhz +0.51v  ( OCCT same )

Edited by potyec - 21 Mar 2017 at 1:50am
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:58am
Thanks for the confirmation and sorry that you have the same problem. The only work around is to shut off Cool & Quiet OR leave Auto for core clocking and loose a little less performance; i.e. it will clock at 3.0 with 3.2 boost under "auto". Depends on you need until this is resolved. When running at 3.7 or 3.8 all the time, my air cooled CPU appears to be just under 40C. That's hardly a problem for 24/7. I just prefer that it clock to the lowest setting when nothing needs to run and also prefer to not have options that are obviously broken :)

Also, check Task Manager and the Performance tab. You'll see Maximum Clock on right and Actual Clock on left. The graphs of the thread % also paints and odd 80% picture.

Edited by mkmcgregor - 21 Mar 2017 at 2:00am
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:11am
Because BIOS is a bit lack of options I will try  Ryzen Master UI  for  OC within Windows .

I will let you know how I go..

Btw. do you know what`s this option ?   "common Zen options"
Nocturnal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:56am
Originally posted by mkmcgregor mkmcgregor wrote:

Depends on you need until this is resolved.

Do you think it will be resolved? Now I'm only choosing motherboard, so looking for the most non problemSmile mobo
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:05am
Update  :  I tested the AMD RYZEN MASTER  software and that software OC-ed my cpu properly without much issue ( few restarts ) .

So must be problem that BIOS version not fully ready yet .

potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:15am
I pushed up with Ryzen Masters software with no isse to 3.9Ghz + 1.375v    ->  4Ghz on 1.425v  was crashing a bit but If we can adjust later voltages It will work easly .

Depends on your money ..  If you buy x370 just because of SLI ans some power phases more ( don`t even need because looks like B350 enough for OC)

The only real worth advantage can be the "little bit more advanced" BIOS   UEFI  . x370 boards has more advanced options .. ( im not sure its worth it )

I read Newegg reviews about particular Motherboards and I find ASRock Support answers to which was like this :
"The OC Tweaker option is related to hardware specification.
If hardware is available, we could add the option inside.
So the high-end model will have more setting in OC Tweaker.
We will do the check for it and make sure which else option(like CPU voltage,?? we could add into the BIOS.  "  -> So this means they want you to buy the more expensive boards :)  but I think B350 good enough .  There is 100$ difference between AB350 and x370 Killer  so you can spend that difference on something else on your pc .

I hope it helped Wink

I recommend for you to check newegg reviews  Manufacturers replying there many times so handy infos hidden there
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:43am
A Ryzen 1800X review I read that used a Gigabyte Aorus mother board said the Ryzen Master software worked better for over clocking than that board's UEFI/BIOS, and recommended the software for over clocking.

I've had a similar experience with Intel XTU program, but of course it it dismissed by most over clockers.

Intel non-HEDT processors will SpeedStep down to 800MHz. Any OC is not affected by SpeedStep. Intel C State power saving options are known to cause some instability in over clocks, more so on the earlier systems.

Are all the programs like CPU-Z, etc, supposed to be Ryzen compatible at this time? I recall it took CPU-Z a while to get the reporting of Haswell processors right, for example.

Ryzen is the first truly new PC platform that we've seen in quite a while. Intel's processor updates are nothing compared to this. I can't find the Ryzen Turbo bins for multiple cores for the various models, is it really just on one core?

Welcome to truly early adopter land! Pinch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic