ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Cool & Quiet breaks overclock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:16am
I agree with everything you said. I never said it should be perfect, but rather am listing some of the current short comings for awareness and looking for answers from the community that already exist.
There are a lot of people who are treating this as just an alternative to current Intel. It is certainly, but as you mention there are and will be growing pains.
As far as HEDT, don't know if 6600K is considered part of the HEDT since it is unlocked, but my 6600K running a 4.5 uses SpeedStep without issue currently. It's true that Ryzen is very new, but that will only hold for so long. One of the first things, since overclocking was mentioned for every Ryzen, would be tools to not just set an overclock but monitor said overclock. Yes it sees temps, hopefully correctly, but not current voltage or voltage changes that I've found in the tool. Also, setting via Ryzen Master may or may not be better, but I don't plan to activate a profile every boot; even in the short term. I did not like doing that for GPUs, and I doubt I'll start with CPUs ... IMO :) Fortunately, current BIOS settings on AB350 Pro4 works fine; other than AMD Cool 'n' Quiet. I can live without that feature. I'll keep the 3.8Ghz @1.325V with idle temps staying in the low 30s on a "free" 95TDP air cooler; water pending.

potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 2:36pm
After I turned off the cool n quiet . I  could OC without issues .

Im running at 4Ghz  + 1.432v   60-65C  under full load
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:28am
1.44 BIOS version just released today corrects Cool 'n' Quiet clock down when manually clocking. I don't think that they fixed it meaning that it won't down clock CPU, voltage does drop, but it no longer prevents a max of 2.7GHz regardless of the manual overclock when the voltage was set over 1.3v. 

Also corrected is the voltage reading in CPU-Z. Unclear if it's correct but it's closer than previous numbers. Setting 1.325 in the BIOS shows 1.275 under full load at 3.79GHz. That is probably the correct value, but only future testing will prove that. HWInfo now shows double that value  which I think that I remember was also true for the some ASUS boards. Odd, but consistent.

Grats on the 4Ghz+. I can't get stable beyond 3.8. Please Run AIDA64 stress, first three options checked, for at least 20 minutes. Are you running water, you have to be, and which AIO water cooler are you using? And on what motherboard? 

Edited by mkmcgregor - 24 Mar 2017 at 9:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
F.Y.I. - Once 1.44 is installed, do not use the Internet Flash option in BIOS. It will state, download, and install a 1.50 version which does work and states 1.50 is installed after the restart; however, that version breaks everything that 1.44 fixed that is listed above. Not sure if it provides anything new or useful. I think that it's just an older beta prior to 1.44 despite stating 1.50.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:58am
Guys and Gals(PC: Gals and Guys), is it OK, now with L1.44 out, that I can mark this [SOLVED] so that later comers here can see it instead of creating a new thread of their own?

Edited by wardog - 24 Mar 2017 at 11:59am
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 5:39am
The 4Ghz was not stable under stress test even with 1.45v and Im not gonna try higher .

So now 3.9Ghz on 1.375v  

Aida64 stress test done .

Im using Noctua NH-D15  SE-AM4   ( max temp 63C )

On 4Ghz max temp was 68 C

Sadly looks like 4Ghz you need like 1.45++ volts .

Even 1.455 v is not enough
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by potyec potyec wrote:

Sadly looks like 4Ghz you need like 1.45++ volts .

Even 1.455 v is not enough

With CnQ Enabled on AMD processors CnQ will slightly stymie an OC.

Are you able to match your OC a few posts up while disabling CnQ?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:14pm
And to those here .......

Keep in mind, when you have all  the power saving features enabled _and_ run an OC that the boards VRM section takes a sever azz whooping in constantly flipping high and flipping low. That's just the nature of electronics and no getting around it.
potyec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potyec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 2:41am

4Ghz was not stable on AIDA64 stress test .

I did disabled  CnQ + C6

I did set the fans on Custom speed ( high) .
I did changed the power usage in Windows for High Performance-to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:57am
4.0+ will depend on the silicon lottery. Even if your running an 1800X, they don't guarantee 4.0 on all cores. 4.0 is turbo only on one core with XFR up to 4.1. So 4.0GHz on all cores is still up to silicon quality and alignment of the quark gnomes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic