ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASrock AB350 Pro4 Fails to POST with 2.2 BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:08pm
the safest way to update bios is in the bios using the flash utility
(windows method should be removed from user options)
always reset the bios to default before flashing a new bios as well
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
TBaFFz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBaFFz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:18pm

It depends on what version Bios your board comes with. My first board was bricked after update to 2.20 from 1.30 via Windows. I got a free replacement board from MicroCenter and updated it from 1.30 to 1.40 via Windows then used the "Instant Flash" via UEFI which is added after you update to 1.40 to then flash again to 2.22 Beta.

I know that seems like a lot of steps but that is how I got mine updated. Always use UEFI to update bios via USB Drive.

Canadianguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadianguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 9:33am
When I get my replacement board hopefully this week, i will USB flash from 1.3 to whatever the latest version will be this week. If it bricks again, I'll be getting a different mobo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadianguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:45am
Ok so I need to risk bricking a second motherboard in order to install 1.44 from windows. Lots of people still bricked their motherboards when updating from 1.44 to 2.22 via UEFI.. im now really frustrated with this. Its turning out to be a nightmare. I should be receiving my second ab350 pro4 this week. Im tired of waiting
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Canadianguy Canadianguy wrote:

Ok so I need to risk bricking a second motherboard in order to install 1.44 from windows. Lots of people still bricked their motherboards when updating from 1.44 to 2.22 via UEFI.. im now really frustrated with this. Its turning out to be a nightmare. I should be receiving my second ab350 pro4 this week. Im tired of waiting

As was said earlier in this thread, by a random forum member, most if not all mother board manufactures have had situations where a UEFI/BIOS update caused the board to fail to POST. At least part of the blame is with AMD, that released the Ryzen processors before mother board manufactures had adequate time, and support from AMD, to provide solid UEFI/BIOS's for their products. Believe me, this is a nightmare for the mother board manufactures too.

Your new board may not have the 1.40 UEFI installed from the factory, given the limited availability of Ryzen boards at Ryzen's launch. I'm sure ASRock puts the latest UEFI version on any current production boards from the factory. Of course what stock your retailer has is impossible to predict.

May I ask whom your retailer or source of your board is? The UEFI version from the factory is printed on a label on the UEFI chip, which on your board is right above the PCIE1 slot.

I don't understand why using the DOS UEFI/BIOS update method is ignored when the Windows method is known to fail for some users. The DOS update method actually runs Instant Flash.

Creating a bootable USB flash drive is simple. Here's a link to a guide which contains a link to the Rufus tool for creating the bootable USB flash drive:

https://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

Be sure to connect the USB flash drive to a USB port on the board's IO panel. A USB 3.0 port is fine to use with Windows 8.1 or 10, but may not work with Windows 7. Also, USB flash drives larger than 16GB may not work correctly.

The DOS update download has an information link on the word DOS that opens an instruction page about using the DOS method. For example:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=DOS8

I have used Instant Flash to update the UEFI/BIOS of many ASRock boards. I also try every UEFI version available, including Beta versions, since I'm a moderator. I can honestly say I have never had an Instant Flash update fail or brick a board. Some of the boards I use have had over 10 updates.

I've only had my ASRock Ryzen board (X370 Killer SLI/ac) for two weeks, and it had a UEFI version installed that included Instant Flash. I've updated the UEFI twice using Instant Flash, really four times as I changed to an earlier version, and then back to the latest one again. I'm using that PC now, no problems using Instant Flash.
CoproliteHunger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoproliteHunger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 2:20pm
I upgraded to 2.20 on the AB350 Pro4.

Before the upgrade the system would beep three times, pause, restart a total of four times with the same beep pattern. It then would beep once, reset, and then it managed, finally, to do one more normal sounding beep and then post and boot.

After the BIOS upgrade it just hangs after the last beep.

I've got Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4-3200 RAM, if that makes any difference (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W).

UPDATE: After clearing the CMOS I was able to POST. It turns out I was too eager to get my RAM working at 3200MHz and I enabled that XMP profile. Clearing the CMOS reverted my RAM to 2100MHz and now it boots normally.

Edited by CoproliteHunger - 20 Apr 2017 at 2:58pm
drewster411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drewster411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:16pm
I flashed using usb Bios instant flash method. I think it's much safer. Bios/UEFI picked up my usb flash drive which I formatted into fat32 instantly with v2.2 (from v1.4 to v2.2) no problem. The only problem I'm having is my RAM is on default 2133. I got (2x8) Corsair DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Timing 15-17-17-35 Cas Latency 15, Voltage 1.35V. It's on motherboard QVL list. But it only works at 2133mhz. Is there some other timing that I can try? I tried a-xmp profile at 2933 but it failed...keeps booting in circles. 
Yeah I would def flash with-in Bios/UEFI. Because there is so many other things going on in a live windows environment. At least in Bios environment there's no interruptions of any sorts. It's simplicity at best.   

drewster411
drewster411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drewster411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:29pm
Oh btw speaking of RAMs
I have ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4

Corsair: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 
DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
Timing 15-17-17-35
Cas Latency 15
Voltage 1.35V

I can only get it to work in 2133, for some reason it wouldn't do 2933. Not even A-XMP profile mode.

I have 2 sticks of ddr4. The manual was little confusing in terms of DDR configuration.

I have mine in as: A2+B2 Dimms...is this right???
I think someone in youtube had it A2+B1, should I try it in this config???

drewster411

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canadianguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:26pm
[URL=][/URL]Thanks for your reply parsec. Basically, after using rufus to set up a dos bootable usb, all i have to do is copy the files that i get from asrock's ab350pro4 motherboard page (bios via DOS) into the dos bootable usb (simple copy paste). After that, boot into usb and take it from there...

If my mobo comes with bios 1.2 (non UEFI), should i install 1.44 first via dos bootable usb, and only then install 2.20 via UEFI?
Or should i directly install 2.20 from 1.2 using dos bootable usb?

Im leaning towards installing 1.44 first via dos usb, and then 2.20 via uefi.

My retailer is newegg canada. After my RMA, they were out of stock (newegg stock). Luckily, they got the stock from another retailer (ambercne). I ended up converting replacement RMA to refund RMA, and re-ordering the pro4 mobo (20$ more expensive this time). So far, i lost some 45$ on shipping back and forth which isnt reimbursed by newegg. I really wonder why asrock didnt just make a bios with UEFI in the first place. Anger *takes deep breath*

Edited by Canadianguy - 20 Apr 2017 at 11:28pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:31am
i would place my bets the new board will have a later version with instant flash enabled myself
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic