ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi fast boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:58pm
15 to 20 seconds is quite a spread,...what are you using to measure your boot times?

And I just have to say,...a PC's boot time is NO indication of how well it performs i.e. speed, stability, functionality, overclockability,..etc. My HP laptop boots in under 5 seconds, but I wouldn't use it for gaming :)

Also remember you guys are first time users of a completely new platform, cpu, motherboard and chipset,...there are going to be issues (thanks for being my guinea pigs Big smile). If your system is running well don't forget to take the time to enjoy it.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by soleil14 soleil14 wrote:

The post time of my system is very long. It takes 15 20s to post ( X370 Taichi, bios 2.0).
When I enable Ultra fast boot, I cannot get to the bios, even with the UEFI app.
With Ultra fast boot enabled and CSM disabled, the boot time still the same.
I changed from X370 Krait gaming to X370 Taichi in the hope of faster post time, but this is a disappointment.

As you've experienced for yourself, there was no significant difference in POST time between the two boards made by different manufactures. That's because as this point that is just how Ryzen systems work.

If you start Task Manager after a cold boot, starting the PC after a Windows 10 shutdown, go into the Startup tab and find the Last BIOS time in the upper right side of the display. My ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac system has a consistent 19.x seconds time. My ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 system in the same situation is a consistent 6.x seconds.

Both PCs use a 960 EVO as the OS drive with Windows 10. The other hardware is similar, video card and several drives connected to the board. Both use DDR4 memory, two DIMMs but at not quite the same speeds. No major secondary hardware differences between the two PCs.

What we are left with is the Ryzen POST time vs Kaby Lake POST time. At this point Ryzen's POST time is three times that of the Kaby Lake PC. My Intel Skylake PC does not POST quite as quickly as the Kaby Lake PC does, it's several seconds slower. That seemed to be related to the use of NVMe SSDs. Users of Skylake systems complained of a relatively longer POST time. The experience with Skylake and some refinements may make that possible. Intel X99 HEDT boards are known for their long POST times, due to the complexity of that platform. Simple systems like my DeskMini 110W with a dual core CPU, DDR4 memory at 2133, using the Intel iGPU, have a very short POST time and have the Windows 10 desktop displayed in half the time of my Kaby Lake PC.

Users tend to blame the mother board for situations like this, but the board is only the part that contains the processor and chipset of a platform. Parts of the UEFI/BIOS like the CPU microcode and various Option ROMs are provided by the platform manufacture (AMD or Intel) to the board manufactures. The mother board manufactures can only do so much to "fix" things like a long POST process. All users can do is wait and hope AMD can shorten the POST time of the Ryzen system.

As said above, the length of a system's POST time is not an indication of performance, or a lack of performance. If you disable the Full Screen Logo option in the Boot screen, you can see the last few POST process codes displayed on the screen. On my Ryzen PC, I see A0 or A9 codes shown for a few seconds, those are SATA related POST codes. Checking the PC's drives is normally done at the end of POST. I then see a 99 POST code, which is related to PCIe devices. I assume that is the POST check of the NMVe 960 EVO, that was also slow in the Skylake PC.
AlbinoRhino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:32am
Well this is a pretty big bummer. I purchased an M.2 drive just to get fast booting and it looks like I've wasted my money.

I guess I'll return it. To most, sitting at a station waiting for a 20second boot might seem trivial, but to me it is not acceptable.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 2:29am
What motherboard and cpu do you have?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 5:41am
I have the X370 Killer SLI A/C paired with a 1700x.

I'm used to a 6 second boot time (to a usable desktop screen) on my laptop.

If they can't bring these boot times down I will swap the M.2 drive out with another cheaper SSD.

I misunderstood the value of an M.2 anyways. I thought it would help with a fast startup, but come to find out it looks like it is only a champion at moving large amounts of data. It is the OS drive so it's really overkill for my purposes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 5:42am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

[URL=][/URL]What motherboard and cpu do you have?

Our of curiosity... Have you used hibernation or sleep mode? If so how is the response time?
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:10am
[URL=][/URL]Sorry I don't have a Ryzen system,... It's in my signature. But I'm very curious about the Ryzen. In general if you use sleep/hybernation your PC will be ready faster. It's worth a shot.

Edited by clubfoot - 06 May 2017 at 7:11am
soleil14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soleil14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:50pm
I found a way to improve the post time on my X370 Taichi.
Just disable AM4 Advenced Boot Training and my post time now is only 10s.
The probleme is now I can OC my Ram to only 2666MHz, it was 3200 Mhz when  AM4 Advenced Boot Training is enabled.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

Well this is a pretty big bummer. I purchased an M.2 drive just to get fast booting and it looks like I've wasted my money.

I guess I'll return it. To most, sitting at a station waiting for a 20second boot might seem trivial, but to me it is not acceptable.

A PC's startup time has two parts, POST (Power On Self Test), and the actual loading and running of the OS, which is the "boot" time.

If you had a POST beep speaker connected to your board, and Boot Beep option enabled in the UEFI,  Boot screen, you could track the POST time, and the actual Windows boot time. When you hear the single POST Ok beep, that is the point that Windows begins to boot, and not before that. The fastest SSD in the world cannot do anything to change how long POST is on a system.

On my X370 Killer SLI/ac board with a 1700X and Samsung 960 EVO for the OS drive, after the POST Ok beep, from a cold start, I see the Windows logo for ~one second (Full Screen Logo is disabled), I don't see the circle of spinning dots indicating Windows is loading at all. The Windows logo quickly fades, and since I don't have a password set on this PC, the Desktop is displayed immediately. From POST Ok beep to Desktop is at most three seconds, that is my Windows "boot" time.

Someone asked about waking from Sleep in a Ryzen PC. Windows 10 Sleep works fine on my Ryzen PC, the wake up time is no different than any other PC I've used. POST does not run when waking from Sleep.

The long wait at the station as you put it, is all Ryzen waking up and completing POST. Yes it is long, even longer than my Intel X99 PC, that are always disliked for their long POST times. Why Ryzen takes so long to wake up and POST, I don't know. Besides Ryzen's memory compatibility situation, the long Ryzen POST time is its main negative feature.

Another unfortunate reality is NVMe SSDs do not provide a substantially lower OS boot time than a decent SATA SSD. I assume you have an NVMe SSD, you mentioned M.2, but there are SATA M.2 SSDs, and multiple models of M.2 NVMe SSDs, some faster than others. Many NVMe SSD users have complained about the little to no difference in OS booting time, so you are not alone or doing something wrong. Why that is the case is not understood well. It might be that the Windows file system, long overdue for an overhaul or replacement since it was designed for mechanical HDDs, is the bottleneck. The TRIM instruction added to the SATA standard and now NVMe standard is a workaround for NAND/flash storage that it needs, and is not provided in the Windows file system.

Sorry to say, but if the long startup time of Ryzen boards is not acceptable, then you'll need to return your Ryzen board along with your M.2 SSD. We have no idea at this time if the Ryzen initialization and POST time will be, or can be, reduced. I don't like it either. My Intel Z270 PC using the same 960 EVO SSD as the OS drive, is less than 10 seconds from power button press to Windows Desktop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlbinoRhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:20am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by AlbinoRhino AlbinoRhino wrote:

A PC's startup time has two parts, POST (Power On Self Test), and the actual loading and running of the OS, which is the "boot" time.

If you had a POST beep speaker connected to your board, and Boot Beep option enabled in the UEFI,? Boot screen, you could track the POST time, and the actual Windows boot time. When you hear the single POST Ok beep, that is the point that Windows begins to boot, and not before that. The fastest SSD in the world cannot do anything to change how long POST is on a system.

On my X370 Killer SLI/ac board with a 1700X and Samsung 960 EVO for the OS drive, after the POST Ok beep, from a cold start, I see the Windows logo for ~one second (Full Screen Logo is disabled), I don't see the circle of spinning dots indicating Windows is loading at all. The Windows logo quickly fades, and since I don't have a password set on this PC, the Desktop is displayed immediately. From POST Ok beep to Desktop is at most three seconds, that is my Windows "boot" time.

Someone asked about waking from Sleep in a Ryzen PC. Windows 10 Sleep works fine on my Ryzen PC, the wake up time is no different than any other PC I've used. POST does not run when waking from Sleep.

The long wait at the station as you put it, is all Ryzen waking up and completing POST. Yes it is long, even longer than my Intel X99 PC, that are always disliked for their long POST times. Why Ryzen takes so long to wake up and POST, I don't know. Besides Ryzen's memory compatibility situation, the long Ryzen POST time is its main negative feature.

Another unfortunate reality is NVMe SSDs do not provide a substantially lower OS boot time than a decent SATA SSD. I assume you have an NVMe SSD, you mentioned M.2, but there are SATA M.2 SSDs, and multiple models of M.2 NVMe SSDs, some faster than others. Many NVMe SSD users have complained about the little to no difference in OS booting time, so you are not alone or doing something wrong. Why that is the case is not understood well. It might be that the Windows file system, long overdue for an overhaul or replacement since it was designed for mechanical HDDs, is the bottleneck. The TRIM instruction added to the SATA standard and now NVMe standard is a workaround for NAND/flash storage that it needs, and is not provided in the Windows file system.

Sorry to say, but if the long startup time of Ryzen boards is not acceptable, then you'll need to return your Ryzen board along with your M.2 SSD. We have no idea at this time if the Ryzen initialization and POST time will be, or can be, reduced. I don't like it either. My Intel Z270 PC using the same 960 EVO SSD as the OS drive, is less than 10 seconds from power button press to Windows Desktop.

I won't be returning my board. I'll just need to slow my roll and change my habits. Well, I will eventually change boards once I've tinkered a bit with the Kill SLI and the rush on the Taichi boards is over. Not due to a boot time however.

It's too early to tell if they can still improve the Ryzen1 boot times, but this is definitely something they might look into for Revision 2. It's not a deal killer for me, but it is super unfortunate that in 2017 you're looking at such lengthy boot times.

I'll have to pick up one of those tiny speakers for sure. Right now I have no way of determining any sort of codes that could be throw at me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic