ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 2:54am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by yoonie yoonie wrote:

1. Your system's specs.
R7 1700

2. The BIOS version that was installed before updating to 2.0.

1.93, maybe?  

3. Update method (BIOS/DOS/WINDOWS).

Windows

4. Your experience so far with the new BIOS.

Fan curves don't seem to work at all- all my fans run at a constant speed no matter which settings I use. I can change the speed by messing with fan curves but it doesn't react to CPU temperature at all, and it doesn't seem to respond to the mobo temp reading either.  I think maybe it's trying to use the PECI temp for the CPU, and since that's stuck at 40C, it always uses the corresponding fan speed.  Also F-Stream Tuning stopped working for me after the Windows Creator update so that's not an option either.

It's driving me nuts and even though I know it's incredibly unlikely, I'm paranoid that I caused thermal damage during stress testing when I was trying to figure out what was going on.

Your fan speed control problems don't make sense IMO. I have the X370 Killer SLI/ac, which has identical fan headers and controls to your board. The ASRock X370 boards have the best overall fan speed control and options that I've seen from ASRock so far. They work fine for me. You are just not familiar with how they work.

What fan models are you using? Are they three or four pin fans?

First, if you are using the built in fan speed profiles in the UEFI, it depends upon which one(s) you use. Personally, I create a Custom profile for each fan header, using the FAN-Tastic Tuning option in the HW Monitor screen. You also must be familiar with the characteristics of the fans you are using.

The most basic think to know is the maximum RPM of each fan, so you can adjust the profile to match the fan's speed range. Every fan model is different, there are no standards for fans except for their size and they are 12V max. They each start spinning at a different voltage or PWM level, so if you have different fan models, each fan must be configured individually. A built in fan profile will have one fan model spinning at full speed, while another fan will be well under 1,000 RPM with the same profile.

The Chassis fan headers when used with the built in profiles, monitor the mother board temperature, not the CPU temperature. How much does the mother board temperature change, even when stress testing the CPU? Mine never changes more than five degrees. So the fan speeds never change with the built in profiles.

This is an example of the FAN-Tastic Tuning screen in the UEFI, after clicking on Chassis Fan 1 on the left, and Customize at the top right:

Note the Monitor CPU and Monitor M/B (Mother Board) buttons, I have CPU selected. I select CPU for all the Chassis fans, since as the CPU get hot, I want more cool air coming into the PC case. Selecting Mother board is worthless as I said, unless your mobo temperature changes a lot, which IMO just means poor basic case ventilation.

That curve is for an intake fan. It runs at 55% up to 40C, 65% up to 50C, 75% up to 60C, 85% up to 80C, and 100% above 80C.

You can either drag the dots with the mouse to a temperature and fan speed percentage, or click on it and use the cursor buttons on the keyboard. You must click Apply to save the Custom curve. Once you use this interface, you won't use anything else. If you save a UEFI settings profile in the OC Tweaker screen, it will save the Custom fan curves with it. If you update the UEFI to a new version, all the profiles will be gone.

You can also use F-Stream's FAN-Tastic Tuning in Windows to create and modify custom profiles, the interface is similar. You can run the Fan Test option in F-Stream's FAN-Tastic Tuning, which will show you the maximum and minimum speeds of the fan. The Fan Test option in the HW Monitoring screen finds the lowest % setting value before a fan stops spinning.

If your CPU cooler's fan(s), which MUST be connected to the CPU Fan header, are not speeding up when the CPU gets warm, either you have weird fans, have a three pin fan on the CPU OPT header only, or are using the Silent profile.

The built in fan profiles do not monitor the CPU PECI temperature. PECI is an Intel only thing, AMD does not use it, which is why the temperature never changes. You use HWiNFO?

Yes, I understand how to set up fan curves perfectly well- in fact I set them up before the BIOS update and they worked fine.

The fatal1ty Pro Gaming detects whether your fans are PWM or DC for all headers except one, which I set to DC control manually for a 3 pin fan.  The fans remain at constant RPM no matter what profile is chosen (even my own custom curves) and do so whether they're set to monitor CPU temps or mobo temps.  Also the silent profile is not a constant speed, it just ramps up at a higher temp and to a lower speed.

I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 with 2 PWM fans that's already been proven to work since it worked properly on the Gigabye AX370 Gaming 5 I switched from.

F-Stream Tuning does not work for me with windows creator update.

Edited by yoonie - 12 Apr 2017 at 6:02am
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 5:46am

This screenshot is from HWinfo after over a day of uptime with normal usage including gaming and streaming, no stress testing.  The values are current, min, max, and average and as you can see they're all virtually the same other than chassis2 which occasionally throws weird reading at start up for some reason, hence the weird min/max.  I even set CPU_OPT to monitor mobo temps to see if it would make a difference but apparently it doesn't.

This happens with any fan curve, default or otherwise.

Edited by yoonie - 12 Apr 2017 at 10:37pm
yoonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 11:45pm
Well, I figured it out.  Either I'm misremembering or something changed (probably the former) because I could have sworn that the fan curves responded to tdie temps and not the socket temps but I guess not.

Since the socket temp stays in such a small range that explains why the fan speeds barely change.  As a follow up, in general should I be monitoring the socket or die temps?  AMD said tjmax for R7 is 75C but I'm not sure which reading they're referring to.  This is my first AMD system since the Athlon so I'm still getting used to their terminology.
cutterjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:41pm
1. 1800X/eVGA GTX 1070/2x16GB G.Skill RipjawV F4-3200C16D-32GVK

2. 1.93D

3. Instant flash (having to use windows to update from 1.20 was one too many times for me)

4. Memory? Utter crap.  Even though that kit is HYNIX I HAD it running at it XMP timings/1.35V @ 2667 1T stable, now all I can manage to post/boot/stable is 2400 2T @ 18-18-18-43 anything else fails to post or loops back down to 2133.

I also have these but havent't tried them since IIRC 1.50: 2x8GB G.Skill are TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ which are Samsung but apparently NOT the 'fabled' 'B' die as they also were only able to get to 2667 1T (also a 2T kit AFAICT).  I'm not going to bother with these again until memory support is as good as it's going to get at which point I FULLY INTEND to FULLY pop the 4 RAM slots with these two kits or if it's too horible just run the 32GB as I can really use the extra RAM but am not paying currently extortionate DDR4 prices.  (Yes I purchased the 2x8GB LONG before the DDR4 price spiking and manage a decent price on the 2x16GB kit. the 2x8GB was purchased before I even knew whether it would a Ryzen build or x99(or newer).  I'm coming from x79 so I need RAM no matter what I built.

Beyond that I'm running FULL UEFI boot w10x64pro ATM (adding Antergo dual boot eventually) w/STOCK settings other than RAM.  (Again want to let things stabilize more before monkeying as I still see that there are the odd bricks, and well let's face it, even though this is WAY more stablke than it was a few weeks ago it STILL definitely is a work in progress. So I get stable on a new BIOS and leave it alone, and this time I think that I'll be skipping the beta BIOSes for 'release' BIOSes especially given that they pulled 1.93D RIGHT after releasing 2.00...)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by yoonie yoonie wrote:

Well, I figured it out.  Either I'm misremembering or something changed (probably the former) because I could have sworn that the fan curves responded to tdie temps and not the socket temps but I guess not.

Since the socket temp stays in such a small range that explains why the fan speeds barely change.  As a follow up, in general should I be monitoring the socket or die temps?  AMD said tjmax for R7 is 75C but I'm not sure which reading they're referring to.  This is my first AMD system since the Athlon so I'm still getting used to their terminology.

What version of HWiNFO are you using? Mine looks very different than yours (v5.51-3135).

AMD does not have a CPU socket temperature (thank Gawd!) on Ryzen.  The CPU reports two temperatures Tctl (T control) and Tdie. Tctl has a +20°C offset programmed into the CPU by AMD for their stock CPU coolers, for use with the Ryzen 5 series processors, apparently.

Tdie is being monitored for the fan speeds.

Are you calling the Tctl the socket temperature?

When stress testing using AIDA64, which shows both Tctl and Tdie, I was at ~80C (Tctl) during the test, without any throttling of the CPU speed.

AIDA64 is showing this for the CPU temperature limit (HTC Temperature Limit, Tctl.) Who knows if this is correct?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:55pm
hwinfo: I'm guessing that MIGHT be a display setting/option?  I haven't seen mine display like that either and IIRC I've been using EVERY(including betas) version of hwinfo since 5.46 w/Ryzen.

2.00 MEMORY: that 1T v. 2T is REPORTED by BOTH hwinfo(various versions up to 5.51 beta) and CPUZ, and  is APPARENTLY a 'FEATURE' of BIOS 2.0 as prior to BIOS 2.0 the memory was running at 1T.  AFAICS there is NO option in BIOS to MANUALLY select command rate from my quick look AFTER I noticed the 2T, so apparently the 2.0 BIOS is parsing MORE XMP/JEDEC info?  It's still not helping me with this memory though as I've NEVER gotten pure XMP settings to work, and in one instance with 1.93D I thought for a few minutes that it might've bricked but I managed to recover by clearing CMOS and batt IIRC.  The SUGGESTED manual power cycle didn't do anything but tell me that it probably wasn't bricked as it would keep settling on DIFFERENT error codes but still NOT POST.  (Normally it just wastes my time power cycling and ending up at base JEDEC timings. )

Which brings up another question: Has that stupid power cycling where to my best guess the AGESA? BIOS? is trying different/lower/looser? timings before falling all the way back to base JEDEC timings EVER gotten anyone ANYTHING ABOVE base JEDEC timings?  It hasn't for me, and frankly all it does is slow down my testing of RAM settings since Ryzen RAM support is damned flakey as hell, which is unfortunate since something VERY IMPORTANT is tied to RAM 'speed', the INFINITY FABRIC.

I noticed that simply going from 2133MHz JEDEC on 1.50 IIRC to 2667 resulted in fairly significant benchmark improvements, as well as a 'feel' of additional 'smoothness' in daily use.  (Similar how to me and many others apparently v. our prior system Ryzen just feels 'smoother' gaming even and in my case I'm coming from ASUS P9X79 Deluxe/i7-3930k/64GB/780 Ti/w10x64pro/Ubuntu 16.04LTS. So I REALLY am GETTING an IMPROVEMENT in IPC in my case PLUS multithreaded the Ryzen just SLAUGHTERS the 3930k(mostly, although I forget which case offhand sandybridge has no AVX2 IIRC (or it's gimped) so it's not that).

One thing that I'll say about sandy bridge was that you could OC the crap out of that on decent air BUT I USUALLY run my systems stock/close to as I prefer longevity(usually) v. a little more bang but I had that 3930k @ 4.5GHz(all cores)/Hyper Evo 212/decent temps under load for a couple days, hell the board will get it to 4.2GHz(all cores) all by itself, but IMNHO it overvolts (unnecessarily IME) too much for comfort, but gives a good base to start. Also could get 1800+MHz on RAM w/ALL 8 slots populated (8GB sticks, corsair vengeance), although TBH w/that it mainly wasn't worth it unlike with Ryzen where memory clock DIRECTLY affects what I consider to be a very IMPORTANT component of the Ryzen arch, the infinity fabric.

Edited by cutterjohn - 15 Apr 2017 at 9:56pm
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

hwinfo: I'm guessing that MIGHT be a display setting/option?  I haven't seen mine display like that either and IIRC I've been using EVERY(including betas) version of hwinfo since 5.46 w/Ryzen.

2.00 MEMORY: that 1T v. 2T is REPORTED by BOTH hwinfo(various versions up to 5.51 beta) and CPUZ, and  is APPARENTLY a 'FEATURE' of BIOS 2.0 as prior to BIOS 2.0 the memory was running at 1T.  AFAICS there is NO option in BIOS to MANUALLY select command rate from my quick look AFTER I noticed the 2T, so apparently the 2.0 BIOS is parsing MORE XMP/JEDEC info?  It's still not helping me with this memory though as I've NEVER gotten pure XMP settings to work, and in one instance with 1.93D I thought for a few minutes that it might've bricked but I managed to recover by clearing CMOS and batt IIRC.  The SUGGESTED manual power cycle didn't do anything but tell me that it probably wasn't bricked as it would keep settling on DIFFERENT error codes but still NOT POST.  (Normally it just wastes my time power cycling and ending up at base JEDEC timings. )

Which brings up another question: Has that stupid power cycling where to my best guess the AGESA? BIOS? is trying different/lower/looser? timings before falling all the way back to base JEDEC timings EVER gotten anyone ANYTHING ABOVE base JEDEC timings?  It hasn't for me, and frankly all it does is slow down my testing of RAM settings since Ryzen RAM support is damned flakey as hell, which is unfortunate since something VERY IMPORTANT is tied to RAM 'speed', the INFINITY FABRIC.

I noticed that simply going from 2133MHz JEDEC on 1.50 IIRC to 2667 resulted in fairly significant benchmark improvements, as well as a 'feel' of additional 'smoothness' in daily use.  (Similar how to me and many others apparently v. our prior system Ryzen just feels 'smoother' gaming even and in my case I'm coming from ASUS P9X79 Deluxe/i7-3930k/64GB/780 Ti/w10x64pro/Ubuntu 16.04LTS. So I REALLY am GETTING an IMPROVEMENT in IPC in my case PLUS multithreaded the Ryzen just SLAUGHTERS the 3930k(mostly, although I forget which case offhand sandybridge has no AVX2 IIRC (or it's gimped) so it's not that).

One thing that I'll say about sandy bridge was that you could OC the crap out of that on decent air BUT I USUALLY run my systems stock/close to as I prefer longevity(usually) v. a little more bang but I had that 3930k @ 4.5GHz(all cores)/Hyper Evo 212/decent temps under load for a couple days, hell the board will get it to 4.2GHz(all cores) all by itself, but IMNHO it overvolts (unnecessarily IME) too much for comfort, but gives a good base to start. Also could get 1800+MHz on RAM w/ALL 8 slots populated (8GB sticks, corsair vengeance), although TBH w/that it mainly wasn't worth it unlike with Ryzen where memory clock DIRECTLY affects what I consider to be a very IMPORTANT component of the Ryzen arch, the infinity fabric.

If these forums are any indication, you are not alone in your frustration over RAM speeds. All we can do is be patient, or buy RAM that is known to play nice with Ryzen.

Speaking to your case in particular, you must've had a reason to jump on board as an early adopter, and these are, as they say, "the breaks". I don't say that devoid of any empathy, as I was recently in your shoes; however, using a mixture of uppercase words and acronyms to convey your point and express your frustration only makes for very difficult reading.

Were I you, I would try to find a way to be thankful that I hadn't bricked my board in my lust for faster speeds, and then I would try to find a solution that either involved patience or my checking account.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:42am
I just noticed now when I check the fatal1ty pro bios page that it now states:
Originally posted by xyzzy xyzzy wrote:

1.Update AGESA to 1.0.0.4a
2.Precision Boost - Adjusts clock speeds in 25MHz increments in BIOS setup.
whereas BEFORE I COULD have SWORN that it said SOMETHING about Ryzen 5 and 'improved' memory support.

To FURTHER give LIE to this hwinfo is reporting AGESA 1.0.0.3!
Originally posted by xyzzy xyzzy wrote:

SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.3

CPUZ is reporting that I DEFINITELY HAVE 2.00, but tomorrow morning I'll restart and take a peek in BIOS itself. HWINFO is showing the BIOS 'date' as 3/31/17.

[EDIT=4/16/17 c. 1055a EDT]
Just got this board into a state where it would FREEZE(in BIOS) trying to load a profile after a failed mem OC.

The previous post mentioned 2x16GB G.SKILL HYNIX kit w/a try at 16-18-18-18-58 2667.

Clearing CMOS 'fixed' it BUT... IMNHO this BIOS NEED ALOT OF WORK yet, so I'm done monkeying with BIOS until we get something MUCH more stable.  And it was a GREAT deal of FUN trying to remember all of the illogical locations for some of those BIOS options as AFAICT(limited testing) the profiles ONLY save the OC menu changes, but I could be wrong as I was just so happy to have things 'working' again that I just booted OS and decided welp enough for now again...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I tried reloading profiles twice and looked at the 7seg the 1st time after freeze and it read 0x0d.

The BIOS had APPARENTLY REVERTED successfully to the base JEDEC 2133 settings but also OBVIOUSLY left something in an UNSTABLE state with those settings.

The OC menu still had my 2667 attempt settings, but TBH I can't recall if that's NORMAL behavior or not, so a simple power cycle didn't help as evidenced by my powering OFF after freeze and then ON and then the boot cycle thing where I GUESS it TRIES slightly? different timings MAYBE between 2133 and the ATTEMPTED OC? before it DEFAULTS to base 2133 JEDEC again?

Does ANYONE KNOW WTF it does during those boot cycle before POSTING in those cases?  This is my first experience with that kind of behavior and HONESTLY I rather have one failed attempt STRAIGHT back to default JEDEC UNLESS they can get it to work MUCH MORE RELIABLY AND QUICKLY or at least give us the option to disable those attempted POST tries, as that wastes far too much of my time.
[/EDIT2]

Edited by cutterjohn - 16 Apr 2017 at 11:09pm
Weedkillers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weedkillers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:53pm
Hiya  my Experience of the v2 bios this morning !

My ASrock X370 motherboard fails to post after Bios Update

I tried updtating to the version 2.00 Bios from the AS Rock Website (Using the windows method)

This was to fix issues locking up on startup of windows
Lockups in Payday 2

But otherwise the system seam to be running stable in many other games

I am an IT enginer by trade so im used to updating and building systems and i followed the bios update procedure on the ASRock Website

Further Info

1. Unfortunatly its not posting to a Screen so im unable to try and Re-flash the Bios currently with either the DOS or Bios option

2. I have tried removing 3 of the 4 sticks of ram  G-SKills Trident Z which was working fine

3. I can send a vidio the Debug LED cyles round and round 55, 43 65,67, 07  then goes very fast back to 55

Im Happy to try any suggestions or contact my supplier to RMA
JohnV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:11am
1. Your system's specs.  - R7 1700@stock(for now), 16gb Geil Evo Forza DDR4@3200, mydigital BPX M.2,  Mushkin Reactor SSD, XFX RX480 GTR, Masterliquid 240 aio.

2. The BIOS version that was installed before updating to 2.0. - 1.50(original)

3. Update method (BIOS/DOS/WINDOWS). - DOS

4. Your experience so far with the new BIOS.  - Had an issue with my M.2 drive vanishing (not being detected in the bios, by the system at all) after rebooting,  which hasn't happened since updating to 2.0Smile
I haven't had a lot of free time to dig into the settings(or work on overclocking) but I've had no other issues since the build.  XMP settings, with my memory, just worked (as they should)Clap.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic