ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

heat from graphic cards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heat from graphic cards
    Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:08am
any thoughts on how graphic cards are situated inside our cases , i.e the hot side faces the cpu pushing the heat towards the cpu , if manufactured the other way the card fans would push the heat towards the bottom of case so making it easier to use a fan to extract the heat , and helping in keeping the heat away from the cpu and memory , any thoughts on my suggestion/idea / like to see done , esp as cpus are getting hotter the higher past the 4 gig limit  on temperature of the cpus ...
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:10am
the more oc the cpu / graphic card is the more heat is generated , manufactored cards the other way i.e with the onboard fans pushing the heat towards bottom of case may help to control this heat build up ....
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:55am
It would even be better if the video cards had separate ducting, intake and exhaust. Say intake from the fans at the front and exhaust out the side!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:59am
I dunno. Either way heat is pulled from a heatsink over the GPU and either distributed inside the case or fans are pulling heat off the sink and distributing it inside the case

Now, that doesn't necessarily ring true if you look at the single blower style fan on the OEM 10xx FE editions. These pull air out of the cases chamber/volume to blow it over the heatsink and out the backside.

clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:06am
Water cooling with Kraken 10s is an option I've done before.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

Water cooling with Kraken 10s is an option I've done before.

Even many card manufacturers are getting in on the AiO liquid cooled cards.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600029797%20601183677%208000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&order=BESTMATCH&page=1
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by terry2uk terry2uk wrote:

any thoughts on how graphic cards are situated inside our cases , i.e the hot side faces the cpu pushing the heat towards the cpu , if manufactured the other way the card fans would push the heat towards the bottom of case so making it easier to use a fan to extract the heat , and helping in keeping the heat away from the cpu and memory , any thoughts on my suggestion/idea / like to see done , esp as cpus are getting hotter the higher past the 4 gig limit  on temperature of the cpus ...

The hot side of a graphics card faces the CPU, and pushes the the heat towards the CPU? You lost me with that description.

Video cards are really upside down when mounted in a mother board's PCIe slot. What we see is the bottom of the video card's circuit board facing upwards, towards the top of the PC case, and of course towards the CPU socket and CPU cooler.

We can see the circuit board traces and the leads of various components (that are not surface mount devices) sticking out of the circuit board, and the solder points for those components. We can see a similar thing with a PC mother board, there is a top and a bottom. We mount a mother board in a PC case with its bottom facing the mother board tray.

The top of a video card has all the components mounted on it, including the GPU chip heatsink/cooler, and usually one or more fans. All these things face down, towards the bottom of the PC case when the video card is mounted in a PCIe slot.

The fan(s) on a video card pulls air into the GPU chip heatsink/cooler, which has heat pipes and aluminum fins to dissipate heat. The air pulled in by the fan(s) blows out the sides of the video card into the PC case, and some out the vents on the cable connection panel, on the back of the PC case.

There are no vents on the bottom of a video card. How is the bottom of a video card the "hot side"? The GPU cooler is mounted on the top of the circuit board. How is heat pushed towards the CPU from the bottom of a video card?

It's true that most video cards dump most of the heat from the GPU chip into the PC case, out the sides of the video card. It takes a correct case fan configuration to get that heat out of a PC case, which many PC cases are not designed to do correctly.

I don't see your description of the hot side of the video card pushing heat towards the CPU making any sense.
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:44pm
the fans under the card blows the hot air upwards towards the cpu , as its mounted upside down with the fan side of card facing bottom and the board side facing cpu , so fans blow the air upwards towards the cpu , take a look tell me where the heat is dissipated , its towards the cpu adding hot air where the cpu is ....
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm
try touching the circuit side of a grapchics card , see how hot it is and its facing directly too the cpu , causing the heat cooled by the cpu fan/heatsink to warm up again causing a heat bottleneck between card and cpu
terry2uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry2uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 4:50am
The hot side of a graphics card faces the CPU, and pushes the the heat towards the CPU? You lost me with that description.

how did i lose you , ststed the hot side of graphic card faces the cpu or central processing unit , and the fans under the card pushes the heat tpowards the cpu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic