ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi SATA SSD goes missing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by GenesisDoes GenesisDoes wrote:

Originally posted by ljt ljt wrote:

Update 2:

Ok. So I've plugged the BX100 into the ASMedia ASM1061 ports on the board (SATA3_A1/A2) and it detected it perfectly and is now showing up in windows and is fully useable.

I've ran some benchmarks and the drive is slightly under performing due to the fact it's on a 3rd party chip rather than native like the rest. 

However it's now proven it isn't the drive itself at fault.

I also did a little bit of digging regarding the 2 drives mentioned having compatibility issues with SATA ports 1-8 (AMD native) i.e. BX100 and the Mushkin Reactor drives and noticed they both have the same controller in common i.e. - Silicon Motion SM2246EN

The MX100 uses a Marvell controller and the Samsung EVO 850 uses its own samsung controller.

Perhaps it's an issue with the main SATA ports not liking this certain controller?

Looks like an issue with this particular controller and X370, maybe something like Z87 and Sandforce controller issues, didn't detect unless you restart just like I'm having now.

Thanks for providing the information about the Reactor and BX100's SSD controller, I was not aware of that.

It was the Sandforce 1200 series SSD controllers that have the problem with the newer Intel SATA ports. The OCZ Vertex II is an example of an SSD that used the Sandforce 1200 series controller.

Just being clear about this, since the Sandforce 2000 series SSD controllers do not have the same problem. I don't want people with SSDs that have the 2000 series Sandforce controller (many Intel SSDs, 520 and 530 models) wondering if they will have problems.

I believe it was never clear whether or not the problem was a hardware issue (the chip design itself) or a firmware problem. I vaguely recall it was the chip itself, but I may be wrong.

But I believe at least part of the problem with the 1200 series controllers was they did not support a new revision to the SATA specification, that was not backwards compatible. The new Intel SATA ports supported that new SATA revision. Whom would we say is at fault in a situation like that? Or is it not a fault, just a compatibility reality?

It might be the case that the Silicon Motion controller does not work well with the Ryzen SATA chipset. I'm not comfortable saying that is true at this point, and I'm not saying that you are. But things like this have happened, such as the example above.

I've used an older Samsung 830 with the first two AMD SATA ports, an Intel 530, and the MX100. Those work fine. I'll try an OCZ Vertex 4 next.

AYUNES5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AYUNES5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:46am
I'm having a similar issues with a toshiba RD400 m2.   The BIOS does not pick up the device when the os is rebooted, has been happening since the board (Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming) was released.  A  complete system shutdown fixes the issues.  Definitely happens with the Toshiba/OCZ driver.  I will test with the included MS nvme driver.

By the way, I also have an OCZ Vertex 4 and have not had any issues with the device.

Edited by AYUNES5 - 18 Apr 2017 at 9:47am
JohnV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by AYUNES5 AYUNES5 wrote:

I'm having a similar issues with a toshiba RD400 m2.   The BIOS does not pick up the device when the os is rebooted, has been happening since the board (Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming) was released.  A  complete system shutdown fixes the issues.  Definitely happens with the Toshiba/OCZ driver.  I will test with the included MS nvme driver.

By the way, I also have an OCZ Vertex 4 and have not had any issues with the device.

With regards to your M.2 issue Ayunes5, I had the same issue with my M.2 drive (BPX), It seems to have been fixed with updating to the 2.0 bios. I had the issue with the 1.5 bios (original). No problems at all since updating.  Note, i used the DOS update, seems safest.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:00am
Originally posted by AYUNES5 AYUNES5 wrote:

The only time you lose the RD400 is after a Window restart, or say a press of the Reset button on the PC case?

When the RD400 is not recognized, is that both in Windows and the UEFI/BIOS, Storage Configuration screen?

I assume you are using the M2_1 slot for the RD400? Is that your Windows/OS drive? Which version of Windows are you using?

Which UEFI/BIOS version are you using?

Please try the MSoft NVMe driver, although I have no idea if it will make a difference.

The Ultra M.2 slot (M2_1) on Ryzen boards does not use the SOC (chipset) resources, as the SATA interface does, it uses PCIe lanes from the CPU. So your issue should not be related to any issue with the SOC.
mchilds83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchilds83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:36pm
EDIT: After further testing, I noticed the problem is recurring on the other SATA ports. In the absence of a known driver solution, I'm preparing to RMA the SSD.

I found this thread because I'm having a similar issue. On my X370 Taichi (P2.00 BIOS) while plugged into either of the SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 ports (The two top ports nearest the memory):

My ADATA SP550 SSD with latest firmware shows Active Time 100% while neither reading nor writing in the Performance Monitor. Every 5-10 minutes the cpu cycles drop to < 1% and all hard disk activity is zero. The computer mostly freezes up, but performance monitor keeps graphing and some games keep running but maybe with limited audio effects while other games will disconnect from online matches and others just freeze completely until the 30 second limit is up. Once the computer resumes, it operates like nothing happened, but it logs 2 warnings into the System Event Log:

Warning, Disk, Event ID 153: The IO operation at logical block address 0xe7b3350 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000036) was retried.

Warning, storahci, Event ID 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I swapped SATA cables, went into the BIOS and disabled Aggressive Sleep mode in FCH Common Options and in Promontory Common Options. I also enabled High Performance Mode in Windows 10, and tried the Ryzen Balanced Performance Mode. I installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from AMD's website, as well as the latest Asrock All In One Driver (tried that before AMD's). I even tried some registry hacks to enable Active AHCI Power Management in the Advanced Power Plan options but none of this worked.

When I switch to any of the other SATA ports, the computer operates perfectly fine with no troubles. Is the SATA controller for SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 different somehow, or is it perhaps broken? I'm not overclocking the CPU and I'm running my 2x16GB 3200mhz TridentZ CAS14 memory kit at 2666 with loose timings in A2/B2 configuration.

I have zero stability issues otherwise and it appears all other SATA ports run my system without any problems at all. I haven't bothered to test the bottom ports 9 and 10 which I understand to be the AsMedia ports, but I've spot checked a few in the SATA3_3-SATA3_8 range and all was fine.

In Device Manager, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: All 3 "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" entries use the same Microsoft Driver, Version 10.0.15063.0, Date: June 21, 2006

Should the AMD chipset driver or the Asrock All In One driver have overwritten this with something else?

System Specs:

AsRock X370 Taichi BIOS P2.00

Ryzen 1800X at stock frequency

ADATA SP550 SSD with latest firmware (BIOS set to AHCI prior to clean install)

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz (PC4 25600) F4-3200C14D-32GTZ

Windows 10 Pro x64

Is this an RMA or some weird chipset incompatibility or driver problem? Thanks

Edited by mchilds83 - 19 Apr 2017 at 3:29pm
Peter13779 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter13779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by mchilds83 mchilds83 wrote:

When I switch to any of the other SATA ports, the computer operates perfectly fine with no troubles. Is the SATA controller for SATA3_1 and SATA3_2 different somehow, or is it perhaps broken?

I still think that Asrock designed the first two SATA ports on this Board as direct connected ports to the CPU while the other ports come from the x370 chipset:

https://rog.asus.com/media/14878984098.gif

I hope they fix this with a new Bios cause replacing the Taichi in my ATX case is a pain in the ass.

mchilds83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchilds83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:45pm
Is this why Device Manager in Windows 10 shows 3 entries for: 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller" all with the same Microsoft driver from 2006?

One managed by the Ryzen cpu directly (2 Ports: SATA3_1 & SATA3_2)
One managed by the X370 chipset (6 Ports: SATA3_3 TO SATA3_8)
One managed by the AsMedia SATA (2 Ports: SATA_A1 & SATA_A2)

The manual, p. 28 only indicates two controllers, but perhaps there is more to this.
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X370%20Taichi.pdf

My problem was less frequent, but certainly did come back on the other ports, so I'm going to RMA the drive first. 
ljt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:14am

Is this why Device Manager in Windows 10 shows 3 entries for: 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller" all with the same Microsoft driver from 2006?

One managed by the Ryzen cpu directly (2 Ports: SATA3_1 & SATA3_2)
One managed by the X370 chipset (6 Ports: SATA3_3 TO SATA3_8)
One managed by the AsMedia SATA (2 Ports: SATA_A1 & SATA_A2)

The manual, p. 28 only indicates two controllers, but perhaps there is more to this.
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X370%20Taichi.pdf

My problem was less frequent, but certainly did come back on the other ports, so I'm going to RMA the drive first. 

The ADATA SP550 SSD you have has a Silicon Motion controller (SM2256) Which is the newer version of the controller used in the SSD (Crucial BX100 using the SM2246) I was having problems with on SATA ports 1-8. 

So it could be a compatibility problem with certain Silicon Motion controllers and the AMD chipset at the moment.

Have you tried it in the last 2 ports on the board? (ASMedia ports) as that is the only way my BX100 SSD will work for now
mchilds83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchilds83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:49am
I literally just got back from shipping the drive away for RMA. I wish I had, but my testing was done on about 4 of the ports in the 1-8 range and not on the AsMedia ports. :(

It should be about a week for the product to get there, then a few days turnaround time and maybe another week before it arrives back in my hands. I'll update with my experience in early May. If I don't, remind me and I will do more testing with the new drive in ports 1-8 and in the AsMedia ports.

Edited by mchilds83 - 20 Apr 2017 at 5:04am
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:44am

I literally just got back from shipping the drive away for RMA. I wish I had, but my testing was done on about 4 of the ports in the 1-8 range and not on the AsMedia ports. :(

It should be about a week for the product to get there, then a few days turnaround time and maybe another week before it arrives back in my hands. I'll update with my experience in early May. If I don't, remind me and I will do more testing with the new drive in ports 1-8 and in the AsMedia ports.
< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

Yes it appears to be an issue with AMD Sata port and that particular controller. In AS Media ports (last two) there doesn't seem to be an issue but the speeds are like 20-30% lower in benchmarks when I ran them.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic