ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi random boot loop...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi random boot loop...
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:10pm
MOBO: X370 Taichi, bios v2.3
CPU: 1700x
RAM: Corsair Dominator CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 (it is on the qvl list) 
PSU: 850 Watt
GPU: EVGA 1080ti FE
Gaming Resolution: 1440p UW

Issue:  When restarting, the computer will sometimes boot loop 1-5 times before turning on.  Once on, the computer performs flawlessly, and without issue. 

It seems to be tied to the XMP profile on my RAM.  When set to the advertised speed of 3000mhz (board drops it down to 2933) is the only time I have observed the issue happening.   If I drop the RAM down to 2666 it seems to boot just fine.  

There is an overclock on the CPU, but the issue persists regardless of the overclock being there or not.  I have also tried adjusting the SOC voltage, and the RAM voltage slightly.  It seems to happen less with that upped slightly, but it still occurs. 

I have ran Memtest86 overnight without error as well, so I do not think the RAM is having any issues. 

I know there isn't a huge difference between 2666 and 2933.  But I also feel like having paid so much for this board and the RAM, that it should work as expected. I reached out to ASrock through their other support channel, but the advice given to me was to return the MOBO and RAM...

Any other suggestions?  I'm willing to wait if it's a bios issue that can be resolved.

Thanks!

Edited by Colt4587 - 18 May 2017 at 11:01pm
debaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:31pm
AM4 advance boot training must be set on.
Colt4587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:37pm
As in it has to be set to on to not boot loop, or that is the cause of the boot loop?

I have tried having it both on and off and it made no discernible difference in the boot loop issue :( 

*EDIT* What is the "boot training' option anyway?

Edited by Colt4587 - 18 May 2017 at 10:46pm
debaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:21am

Auto = On

If I disable it i get the 5 times beep bootlop too (3200 memory).

Edited by debaser - 19 May 2017 at 1:22am
Colt4587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:53am
Yeah, I currently have it set to "auto" and it is still dong the boot loop.  The thing is though, sometimes it doesn't do it, sometimes it only does it once, and sometimes it will do it up to 5 times.  Then it starts normally.

It's not always a "cold boot" either.  Normally I'm just restarting to install updates or do some troubleshooting. 
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:23am
The boot loop is most of the time, due to the AM4 CPU memory training.  Usually what happens when it does that, is it cycles through 5 times, and then on the last time it boots, but the RAM is set to 2133mhz. 

What timings and voltage do you have your RAM set at?  You may have to either loosen or tighten your timings to get it to work right.  And usually with auto voltage, it will set the ram to 1.2v, rarely will it auto set to 1.35v which is pretty standard for higher speeds.
Colt4587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:28am
Hi Conraire

I would say on average it only cycles once or twice, but can go up to 5 times.

When it cycles once or twice, I check RAM speed in CPUZ and it is 2933

Sometimes it doesn't boot loop at all and works right.  I won't change anything, and then the next time I restart it will boot loop 1 or 2 times. 

Timings are set by XMP, or when to match XMP when I do it manually.  I believe they are 15-17-17-35, voltage gets automatically set to 1.35 I believe, and I have tried as high as 1.4 to temporarily test. 

Thanks!
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:01am
At what point in the booting process does it reboot during these loops? Are you able to see anything onscreen?

I've noticed what I believe to be the same issue on my X370 FPG (basically the same chipset). I'm not sure if it has always been there and I just wasn't paying attention, but it sounds like it's trying to start up, and then the fans quiet down, and then it ramps up again and starts as expected. So I can't be sure, but I believe it is failing once, as you have described you are occasionally experiencing.

I don't have any tips for addressing it, because if I am correct and it is failing, it's only failing once.. So I'm not that worried about it (yet).
Colt4587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:02am
TF85

It basically kicks the fans on, then turns off, then kicks the fan's on, and then turns them off. The debug LED stops at "F9."  Doesn't happen everytime, can happen as little as once, and as many as 5 times.

I've been trying to work with Asrock support via email, but it's kind of been a joke :(.  They're advice is to take the MOBO back.  But I have a feeling a new MOBO isn't going to fix it. ...
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:41am
So while our systems are working eventually, it would appear that they're not working perfectly.

I agree. I wouldn't return your board. If you're worried that it's going to brick the board, dial the memory back a bit until the next microcode is incorporated into your UEFI. Wash, rinse, repeat until everything runs the way you want it to.

Your situation has be thinking maybe I should dial my memory back, just to stay on the safe side..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic