ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi random boot loop...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Yeah, 

I'm not really afraid it's going to brick the board or anything.  It's just annoying, especially because this board takes quite a bit longer than my previous ASrock Z77 board to turn on anyway.  Then add the fact that it has to restart several times before turning on.  

I'll probably just deal with it, or like you said, turn down the memory a bit.  It's a whole new architecture, so some hiccups are to be expected.  I just wish the Asrock tech support was better.  It would give me more confidence in waiting.  
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:33pm
I know how you feel. I never needed a laptop until last year, and decided on one from ASUS, after having returned one from Acer. Once I was done adding parts to it, it cost me about $1500. To this day, the fans still behave strangely. In certain rooms, the fans kick on whenever the CPU breaches ~50°C, and temps drop down to the mid 30s. In other rooms, the fans won't kick on until the CPU reaches the mid 70s or 80s, and then the fans only really bring it down to about ~40-50°C.

I contacted their support and got a very nothing answer, "Update to the latest BIOS or fill out an RMA". Took them like a week to respond, too. There I was, expecting some *fantastic* answer from "the best" manufacturers around, and I was left feeling much differently than I did.

Another time I called ASUS support about a graphics card I purchased at a Best Buy, and the rep was combative, unhelpful, and seemed genuinely disinterested in talking to me. I was coming from a graphics card made by Sapphire that had "FLeX" technology that enabled 4 displays out of the same card, and when questioning the rep about why the ASUS card I had just purchased wasn't able to do the same thing, he assumed I had "hacked" the card I was referencing into making it work the way that it did.

About the only customer service people I have ever had a good time talking with are the people at GoDaddy, Microsoft (Office365), and some of the people at Sprint. Everywhere else is a total crapshoot.
Colt4587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:08pm
I know the feeling!

Logitech and Corsair have been pretty top notch to me.  Corsair can be a little slow sometimes though.  

longjohnsally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longjohnsally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:44am
I'm having the exact same issue.  Mine reboots 4x and then starts on the fifth and works flawlessly.  I did notice that on userbench scores, that it says my RAM is running at 2134 MHz and is clocking in at 1067 MHz...no idea why.  I've tried 2933 in the bios as well as auto and it doesn't seem to matter.  I'm running the same memory as you.

MOBO: X370 Taichi, bios v2.3
CPU: 1800x
RAM: 32 GB (4x8) Corsair Dominator CMD16GX4M2B3000C15
PSU: EVGA G2 850 Watt
GPU: an ancient ATI thing (new one coming soon)
BOOT Drive: Samsung 960 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB

Colt4587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt4587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:10am
So I know it has a safety feature, where if it fails to POST X4 it will revert to stock memory speed on the 5th try. But only that time, when it restarts next, it will repeat the process.

Mine will start at 2933, and stay there eventuall

What did ASRock support tell you?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longjohnsally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:34am
I worked it out.  I had two issues that after several hours of testing are consistently causing the reboots.

1.  I hadn't yet installed the drivers from Asrocks's website.  Specifically, the All-in-one driver immediately fixed the issue.  It appears to affect how the UEFI sets the XMP settings for RAM.  Before installing these drivers, no matter what I set the RAM would reset itself to the lowest speed setting and I would go into the 4x reboot loop (maybe some kind of safety feature?).  So if you haven't done it yet...install this!

2.  I tried the RAM (same Dominator RAM that you are using) at a number of settings.  it seemed to work fine until I set it to anything faster than 2666 MHz.  At that point it reengages the reboot loop and when windows does finally start, the RAM runs at the lowest speed.  So for me...2933 and up is out of the picture for now with 2666 MHz being my top speed.  

Hopefully a future update to the BIOS will allow us to run our RAM at full speed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longjohnsally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:36am
Did you run a bench to see if it is actually running at 2933?  I thought mine was too, but on userbench my RAM scores were in the dirt.  My results running at 2666 are much better.

Edited by longjohnsally - 21 May 2017 at 3:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic