ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z97 Anniversary motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motti15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z97 Anniversary motherboard
    Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:35pm
I had installed all the components on my computer from the tower to motherboard to graphics card and all. It was running great for about 2 months and tonight I had noticed after a long while of my fans wasn't running. I opened up the computer an plugged a free power cable into the motherboard and when I turned teh computer back on, i smelled this odd plastic smell and the computer monitor didn't show anything and just a black screen.

Do you guys know if somehow the motherboard just fried? My friend told me that could have happened, but how do you know if a component goes bad? The computer screen literally never even shows anything at all, just all black.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 1:34pm
Welcome to the forums. 

When you say you plugged in a free power cable to the motherboard, what cable did you connect and where?

Molex look a little like this (oooo) 
SATA power [====] 
Fan connector [...]

then there are the motherboard power connections
           _ __
      [o][o]  [o][o][o][o]
4pin [o][o] and  [o][o][o][o] 8 pin

If you connected the wrong cable to the motherboard it is possible you have damaged it. 
motti15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motti15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 7:23pm
Everything had been plugged in and was working fine. There was a fan connector attached to the motherboard and a separate power supply to the fan that was dangling there with 4 pins. I connected that with one of the remaining power cables.

It ended up turning the fan on to work but that's when I smelled that odd plastic smell and wonder if it somehow shorted out the board, which had never happened before. Yes it was a molex connector. The fan connector was already attached to the board

Edited by motti15 - 31 Jul 2015 at 7:25pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:14pm
So the fan had dual connectors? One 3 pin and a molex I would guess. You are not meant to connect both. You may be lucky and the burning you smelled may be the fan cables. I assume you have already tried disconnecting the offending fan entirely?

If you have and the board still will not power on then I am afraid it is likely blown.
motti15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motti15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 11:12pm
Yes, I had unplugged it after and it the computer doesn't turn on. I"m afraid also it might be the board, but I would assume that the other components such as SSD, HD, ram, and so on should all be fine still, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic