ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB Ports don't work! - ASROCK z270 Pro 4 Mobo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vesnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB Ports don't work! - ASROCK z270 Pro 4 Mobo
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 9:48am
< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}

Hi guys,

This is my first build however I had some experienced people helping me along the way. I was able to successfully boot the computer even though I had trouble with USB ports in the beginning but I eventually installed Windows 10 via USB and started downloading drivers and software for the components of my computer as well as Windows updates. It was not until I went to reboot to apply updates that I was unable to get past the login screen because my USB ports would not work so my Razer Deathstalker keyboard and Razer Naga wouldn't turn on. I thought this may be because they require software but I did download Razer Synapse as soon as I successfully booted the first time. I tried to spam F2 to get into the BIOS it still wouldn't work.

I even bought a cheap basic keyboard to try however I couldn't get power. When I plug both the basic and the razer keyboard into my old computer they work and successfully turn on. I spent all of yesterday trying to research and find solutions. Some more include:

1. BEFORE the successful boot I did change my USB config settings and enabled Legacy and the other options except for the one titled "HCXF.. or something along those lines"

2. I took the HDD out and Graphics card to allocate more power to the motherboard.

3. Reset the CMOS battery which has set me back further seeing i can't get into the BIOS anyways... I was desperate.

4. Several reboots trying different ports

5. I even tried rebooting without my SSD and using the HDD instead with the Windows 10 USB installer

Asking some friends they think the MOBO is faulty but I can't understand why if they worked before for that 1 successful boot.

My specs are:

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz

ASRock Z270 Pro4 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15GB 2x 8GB DDR4

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX1080 Strix Aura 8GB

Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU Cooler

Corsair CX-750 Modular PSU 

Antec GX1200 Gaming Case

WD Black HDD 1TB

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB SSD

If someone could please help me before I lodge an enquiry/fault with the product I'd highly appreciate it! Thank you.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by vesnia vesnia wrote:

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}

Hi guys,

This is my first build however I had some experienced people helping me along the way. I was able to successfully boot the computer even though I had trouble with USB ports in the beginning but I eventually installed Windows 10 via USB and started downloading drivers and software for the components of my computer as well as Windows updates. It was not until I went to reboot to apply updates that I was unable to get past the login screen because my USB ports would not work so my Razer Deathstalker keyboard and Razer Naga wouldn't turn on. I thought this may be because they require software but I did download Razer Synapse as soon as I successfully booted the first time. I tried to spam F2 to get into the BIOS it still wouldn't work.

I even bought a cheap basic keyboard to try however I couldn't get power. When I plug both the basic and the razer keyboard into my old computer they work and successfully turn on. I spent all of yesterday trying to research and find solutions. Some more include:

1. BEFORE the successful boot I did change my USB config settings and enabled Legacy and the other options except for the one titled "HCXF.. or something along those lines"

2. I took the HDD out and Graphics card to allocate more power to the motherboard.

3. Reset the CMOS battery which has set me back further seeing i can't get into the BIOS anyways... I was desperate.

4. Several reboots trying different ports

5. I even tried rebooting without my SSD and using the HDD instead with the Windows 10 USB installer

Asking some friends they think the MOBO is faulty but I can't understand why if they worked before for that 1 successful boot.

My specs are:

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz

ASRock Z270 Pro4 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15GB 2x 8GB DDR4

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX1080 Strix Aura 8GB

Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU Cooler

Corsair CX-750 Modular PSU 

Antec GX1200 Gaming Case

WD Black HDD 1TB

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB SSD

If someone could please help me before I lodge an enquiry/fault with the product I'd highly appreciate it! Thank you.

You said you are using Windows 10, and did a new, fresh installation, correct?

Why did you change the USB option in the UEFI/BIOS to enable Legacy USB support? That might be the start of all your problems, unless for some reason all the USB ports on the board are dead.

Intel 200 series chipset boards like your Z270 Pro4 will only allow the Microsoft USB 3.0 driver to be installed for ALL of the USB ports. That is an Intel thing, not caused by ASRock. I can only guess since I was not with you when you installed Windows 10 and changed the default USB options, but enabling Legacy and other USB options before or after you installed Windows 10 may be the issue.

Removing the HDD and video card did nothing, since USB only uses +5V power, and both of those devices primarily use +12V power.

Although you said you "reset the CMOS battery", did you move the CLR CMOS jumper to the clear position at the same time? If not you need to do that to get the default USB options back again. The CLR CMOS jumper is at the very bottom of the board, in the middle. ONLY move the jumper to the clear position and back again with the PC removed from power completely.

If after you clear the UEF/BIOS with the CMOS jumper, which sets all the options to their defaults, if you cannot get into the UEFI with a normal keyboard then the USB ports seem to not be working. I would check the 24 pin ATX power connection to the board to be sure of a perfect connection, in case one of the +5V pins is not fully seated, which provides power to the USB ports.

If you start Windows, and insert a USB flash drive, is it recognized in Windows? Or it seems you are stuck at the Windows login screen, and can't do anything?

Did the problem begin after you installed the drivers for your Razer keyboard and mouse, and restarted the PC? If so, did you have the correct driver version for Windows 10? You should install all the basic drivers first, like the INF and Intel Management Engine software before installing the keyboard and mouse driver.

You may need to both clear the UEFI/BIOS with the CLR CMOS jumper on the board, and install Windows 10 again, if clearing the UEFI is not enough to get the USB ports working again. Just don't touch the USB options again, there is Zero reason to do that, unless you can explain why you need to configure them as you did.
vesnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vesnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:29am
Yes I downloaded the media installation tool on my other computer, reformatted my USB and downloaded Windows 10 64 bit on the USB.

I was reading peoples problems that were similiar to mine online and I thought this was a solution. I'm not super tech savvy with these things. I am pretty sure that legacy was already enabled however I may have enabled it. But I know I enabled the option below it. If i had a screenshot of the UEFI USB configuration page I would be able to tell you what I enabled...

I have not done anything with the jumpers yet I wasn't sure how to do that I am nervous to muck something up.

You: If you start Windows, and insert a USB flash drive, is it recognised in Windows? Or it seems you are stuck at the Windows login screen, and can't do anything?

Well if this is after the problem, I would boot the computer and it would go straight to the Windows log in screen, however the keyboard and mouse wouldn't turn on so I couldn't get past the login screen.

When I first turned on the computer to install windows it did have some trouble recognising the USB keyboard and mouse but after some fiddling i got it to work. 

vesnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vesnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:59pm
Okay, so between the time of my last post and this one I reset the BIOS by swapping the jumpers and it went like this.

1. Swapped to 2-3, turned it on. It wouldn't turn on.
2. Went back to 1-2, it turned on but pretty sure the reset worked because the CMOS date/time doesn't show. My usb keyboard/mouse and the cheap basic one still didn't work.
3. I concluded with swapping the PSU to my old Corsair 500w just to check it wasn't the power supply. It still didn't work.

I'm out of options and will call the retailer tomorrow to discuss my next course of action. I will check this forum throughout the day (I'm in Australia) to see if you have any other ideas.

Thanks so much for your advice, I wish it worked.
Nighteyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nighteyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 1:27am
I am having similar issue with the ASRock B360 Pro4 board. Installed and assembled components, PS4 keyboard works, USB mouse is non responsive. Mouse works fine in Bios, but is unresponsive in Windows. I am unable to reinstall windows because it requires a checkbox for 'I agree' which requires a mouse cursor control to do so, and the motherboard only had ONE PS4 socket, so connecting PS4 keyboard and mouse both is not an option. Motherboard also seems to be unable to properly power off and is unable to recognize network even after running the included drivers disc.

Not sure if it's a rampant control board error, or isolated issues, thankfully I still have the laptop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic