ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

.40 file extension for bios update?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritzerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .40 file extension for bios update?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:35am
I wanted to update the bios of X370 Killer SLI. So I downloaded it from this link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLI/index.asp#BIOS . The problem is, the original file has 2.40 at the end, meaning that the extension is now .40 on windows. 

On the bios update guide, it is showing the extension should be .exe.

Should I rename the file to .exe? Making it fully named as 'X370KLA2.40.exe' ?

I am a complete newbie but I really wanted to get Ryzen 5, a big mistake now, as my cpu voltages are going up and down from 1v to 1.5v and it really isn't safe, I want my cpu to last a long time without overclocking it. I can't understand a lot of the bios settings and thought that maybe updating bios is the solution. I am currently on a 2.1 version of bios according to it being written on motherboard. I tried to limit the vcore voltage in bios to 1.375 but now apparently I am only getting 2.2Ghz and 1v according to ryzen master... I am really troubled but maybe someone has settings that I could apply to the bios to get max voltage of 1.375v? I do not want my voltage permanently a 1.375V either, I just want this to be the maximum value. CryCryCryCryCryCry
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 4:30am
Ritzerk, absolutely DO NOT rename any BIOS files!  I suspect that file is a Instant Flash file.  Please look more carefully at the BIOS DL page.  I also suggest you do not update your BIOS unless you feel you know exactly what you are doing.
What are you using to measure the CPU voltages?  Several of the applications give bad results.  I do not know anything about Ryzen Master, but suggest you get CPU-Z.  Hopefully others will comment soon on what is best.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Ritzerk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritzerk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:02am
I have successfully updated the bios. I'm oh so lucky that the ASRock bios only updates using the files it recognizes as correct for the motherboard - at first I was trying ASRock x370 Killer ac update, oh boy. Cry

The bios update didn't seem to fix my issue, my voltages still go up and down as they wish.

I have been using HWMonitor and Ryzen Master, and just now installed the ASRock A-Tuning utility.

HWMonitor gives max vcore voltage as 2.9v so that is definitely not something I want to be looking at, but the actual package voltage seems to max out at 1.5v - which is bothering me.

Similar voltage on Ryzen Master - I am getting up to 1.4~ voltage jumps. The cores also jump up and down even up to 4.1Ghz but I have been told that this is normal..? Anyway, it does not feel normal for voltages to be changing to 1.4~-1.5v range, which is my issue... I am getting a much better temperature in Ryzen Master but it is fluctuating a lot, and I have already put fans on performance on my H110i cooler. The temperatures are going anywhere from 24oC to 37oC, it actually seems to jump to 3.7Ghz at around 24oC, and then the temperature jumps to the 30s region.

A-Tuning is showing that the voltage goes up to 1.440v suddenly at times. Its mostly at 0.800 and even 0.544 at times. Cpu is showing as 26oC.

I am mostly focused on getting either a stable voltage lower than 1.4v or the voltage maximum being at no higher than 1.4v. Since I am completely lacking the understand of the cpu options in bios, I do not know how to do that. Is there any settings I can tweak to get more stable voltages? I do not want to shorten the life of my cpu. I tried setting base vcore voltage to 1.375v, but then on ryzen master I seen that it was constant at 1v, it wasn't going up to 1.375v, and seemed not to move from 2.2Ghz core speed, which is just as scary as it jumping from 0.5v to 1.4~ volts... Would limiting m vcore voltage to 1.375V actually be a bad choice? Would this actually make my cpu worse off as not enough voltage would be supplied during gaming?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 1:04pm
So you have never seen the CPU VCore voltage and core speeds change depending upon the load on the processor? A dynamic VCore caused by CPU power saving options, a non-fixed voltage mode option selected in the UEFI/BIOS, and the affect of the Windows Power Plan? AMD and Intel have had these features available in their processors for about ten years now, and they have evolved over the years. Turbo boost will cause one or more cores to be at a higher speed than the stock/base frequency specification of the CPU.

That is completely normal and to be expected when CPU power saving options are enabled, and the processor voltage is not set to a fixed value in Fixed mode. Windows is doing various things at random times, so the load on the processor changes. The load also changes depending upon what programs you are running. As the CPU load increases, the processor needs more voltage to run at higher speeds and with more cores running various tasks. You are simply seeing dynamic VCore voltage, that changes on demand, and a dynamic processor core frequency. The CPU temperature also changes with the load and type of load, regardless of the CPU cooler. That is really CPU 101 material.

What system or PC did you use in the past that always used a constant VCore and the processor never changed its speed? You can configure this PC that way if it makes you feel better, but it will run warmer and use more power while it is idle.

Your maximum processor voltage is high because you are using the stock/Auto values for VCore, etc, in the UEFI/BIOS. Every processor is different, even within the same model, regarding how much voltage it needs to operate without problems. A mother board manufacture cannot predict what minimum VCore voltage will be sufficient to prevent a processor related BSOD, etc, so they are forced to set the Auto(matic) VCore value higher than it needs to be for many processors. Note that I said it is higher than necessary for many processors, not that it is too high or dangerously high. As a PC builder, it is our responsibility to set the VCore to a value that works and we are comfortable with.

I see you are using an older version of HWMonitor, or at least one that is not up to date for Ryzen systems. We've seen that with other programs too. Did you really believe your VCore was 2.9V? The most common errors in "calculating" a VCore reading (which is not a simple voltage reading provided by the board's sensor chip, it must be processed from data into a final value) is to be off by a factor of two, or 1/2.

First, you really need to calm down, if you really are scared about what you see in Ryzen Master, for example. You said you don't have any understanding of the UEFI/BIOS option settings, but know enough to change the VCore to 1.375V? Do you still not understand why the CPU speed and VCore are changing?

In your first post you said you wanted the highest voltage to be 1.375V, and did not want it at that value all the time. But it scares you when the VCore is 0.8V or 0.544V? Confused

Now I am confused.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic