ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ram stuck in single channel.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJefFreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram stuck in single channel.
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:59am
Asrock Killer SLI/ac
32 gigs gskill flare x 2400
Ryzen 1700
Windows 10 home 64bit...

Please anyone...

Ok I have ruled out any bad dim slots all of them work with ANY of the ram sticks installed. Either single or in a two stick set up. With two sticks installed it runs dual channel no problem in either a1 b1 setup or a2 b2 setup with any of the four sticks working with each other in all combinations. I have reflashed the bios with one two and 4 sticks installed. I have reseated a thousand times. So at this point I know that all four sticks work great and fine with each other. I know that all of my dim slot work fine etc. Yet when I have all four of my sticks installed I am stuck in single channel and when I look in my bios it says it sees all four sticks and they are running fine but single channel. Windows says I have all 32 gigs installed but can only use 16.... I am completely at a loss of what to do.....
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 4:21am
TJefFreeze, looks like you have done thorough testing.  The fact that W10 does not see two of your sticks, I suspect, means the BIOS found them bad.  I would suggest you boot up one stick at a time and make sure W10 runs OK.  Knowing this stick is good, at least right now, use it to test one slot at a time.  Do this for each stick.  There was a thread here with a similar problem and I believe it turned out to be a bad stick.  It had a similar title to yours - please search for it.   It was only two sticks, but W10 saw only one.  Does CPU-Z see one channel or two?  Good luck and enjoy, John.
TJefFreeze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJefFreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:08am
Windows sees all 4 sticks but will only let me use two. And I have done it one by one with each stick and in two stick combos Windows uses any of the for in a two stick set up running in dual channel mode too. NONe of my sticks are bad at all. All 4 will run perfect in ANY 2 stick combination in ANY of the dim slots. So no it's not a bad stick or dim slot or a bad seat. Bios sees all four Windows does too but it will only let me use 16 because they are stuck in single channel in the bios ONLY when all four are installed. Everything is great when only two are in there Windows sees both and uses both and they run in dual channel in any combination of sticks or dims doesn't matter works great but with four it sh*ts the bed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJefFreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:10am
Seen that post and it is.not the same as me. I have read every single forum post out there and NONe of them are this set of circumstances. I have refreshed bios everything....
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:05am
Thanks, TJefFreeze.  The only suggestion I have now is to open an AMD support request.  I have used it recently and it worked great for me.  Please keep us informed here.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Have you tried setting UEFI Defaults? - F9 in my BIOS.

Edited by MisterJ - 06 Jun 2017 at 8:57am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJefFreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 9:26am
I will give this a go as soon as I get home
pedre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:44pm
Hey there, I think we are facing more or less the same problem, probably it won't help but thats the topic I opened a few weeks ago: 

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=5053&KW=&title=bios-no-detecting-dualchannel-memory%20

After some testing they told me that it was caused because CPU pins are bended but i checked and they are alright so the problem its due to malfunction or a bios issue.

Edited by pedre - 06 Jun 2017 at 3:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJefFreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:54pm
Thanks. I am convinced it's a bios issue. All of my hardware is in perfect condition. I have been in contact with Asrock and they have given me a set of steps that they think will fix the issue. I am trying it today and will post the steps here if it works
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 12:56am
Originally posted by TJefFreeze TJefFreeze wrote:

Asrock Killer SLI/ac
Ryzen 1700
Windows 10 home 64bit...

Please anyone...

Ok I have ruled out any bad dim slots all of them work with ANY of the ram sticks installed. Either single or in a two stick set up. With two sticks installed it runs dual channel no problem in either a1 b1 setup or a2 b2 setup with any of the four sticks working with each other in all combinations. I have reflashed the bios with one two and 4 sticks installed. I have reseated a thousand times. So at this point I know that all four sticks work great and fine with each other. I know that all of my dim slot work fine etc. Yet when I have all four of my sticks installed I am stuck in single channel and when I look in my bios it says it sees all four sticks and they are running fine but single channel. Windows says I have all 32 gigs installed but can only use 16.... I am completely at a loss of what to do.....

Hello TJefFreeze,

I also run 4 sticks of DDR4 memory. I read through the thread so far and I didn't see a reference to 's/n(serial number) sequence'. I purchased a QAUD channel set. Therefore each memory stick has a serial number from SN#...xxxxx01, ...xxxxx02, ...xxxxx03, ...xxxxx04(just pretend it is this sequence). The memory stick that ends in '01'(or whatever your lowest range stick is, place that in Channel A, Slot 2. The memory stick that ends in '02', place that in Channel B, Slot 2. Then the final two in Channel A/Slot 1 and in Channel B/Slot 1, respectively('03 and 04' SN#'s).

Attempt this and it may correct your situation. If you purchased 2 separate dual channel kits, find out the SN#'s and use the lowest ranged in the A2/B2 and the higher ranged in the A1/B1 channel/slots.

Hope it helps, otherwise it is a separate issue that is causing your configuration dilemma.

Edited by Kevin A - 07 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Kevin A Kevin A wrote:

Originally posted by TJefFreeze TJefFreeze wrote:

Asrock Killer SLI/ac
Ryzen 1700
Windows 10 home 64bit...

Please anyone...

Hello TJefFreeze,

I also run 4 sticks of DDR4 memory. I read through the thread so far and I didn't see a reference to 's/n(serial number) sequence'. I purchased a QAUD channel set. Therefore each memory stick has a serial number from SN#...xxxxx01, ...xxxxx02, ...xxxxx03, ...xxxxx04(just pretend it is this sequence). The memory stick that ends in '01'(or whatever your lowest range stick is, place that in Channel A, Slot 2. The memory stick that ends in '02', place that in Channel B, Slot 2. Then the final two in Channel A/Slot 1 and in Channel B/Slot 1, perspectively('03 and 04' SN#'s).

Attempt this and it may correct your situation. If you purchased 2 separate dual channel kits, find out the SN#'s and use the lowest ranged in the A2/B2 and the higher ranged in the A1/B1 channel/slots.

Hope it helps, otherwise it is a separate issue that is causing your configuration dilemma.

To add to Kevins excellent post.

Note: DO NOT alter anything in the BIOS. Not setting/using XMP, no voltages, no speed,l nothing. This is for troubleshooting that I ask this.

Place two consecutively S/N'd sticks in A2 and B2, clear the CMOS(not BIOS but CMOS), reboot and do the Reset to UEFI Defaults TWICE.

It should start, don't let it enter the OS unless you know the BIOS defaults suit your need/purpose.

Power down and place the other two consecutively S/N'd sticks in A1 and B1 and hopefully power up.

Please reply back to Kevin and myself please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic