ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advices for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advices for a newbie
    Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 1:58pm
[URL=][/URL]Hello everyone. I'm new to here and brand. First time I am building a desktop and I have decided to go for ryzen over Intel for more futureproofing with this chipset.

I will be playing games and editing some videos. But mostly gaming. I know Intel has the upper side for now yet there isn't enough compatibilities still so I know that more solid ryzens for gaming will be coming in next years.

I had an arctic Liquid Freezer 240 mm with 4 fans Cpu cooler which I bought for Intel. I know it can fit am4 too, I will use it on my ryzen rig.

As Cpu and board I'm thinking to pick 1700, because there becomes nearly no difference when you overclock r7 and taichi, because most solid board for overclocking high quality vrms and more than 8 cores oc capabilities due of it.

Are these picks are sensible? What do you advice?x

Do you really advice asrock over Asus rog crosshair 6 hero and gigabyte gaming 5?

Thanks.

Edited by Yondaime - 07 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 2:26pm
The Taichi is widely regarded as one of if not the best Ryzen board out there. 

With your AiO liquid cooler you may need to purchase an AM4 mounting bracket. Check the product page for your cooler for info. If it uses the clip system for AMD then it will work as is.

So you are thinking:

CPU:  r7 1700
Mobo: X370 Taichi

The only question is, will you need 8 cores and 16 threads? You will likely be using GPU acceleration for video editing. If you are going to be gaming then you will likely pick up a decent GPU so it would make sense to use it when using editing software for rendering. That means that you won't be taking advantage of the 16 thread Ryzen 7. If this is so then you can save yourself some money and go with the R5 1600. It has 6 cores and 12 threads so it will be future-proof and it performs almost identically to Ryzen 7 when it comes to gaming. As we move forward, Ryzen will be better utilized in games. Ryzen isn't "worse" than intel for gaming, it is just a new architecture that current games are not properly optimized to take advantage of.

Also note that intel being better than Ryzen for gaming is only true at lower resolutions on enthusiast grade GPUs. Once you move up to 1440p and above, on a GTX 1070 or better, the bottleneck shifts from the CPU to the GPU and both will perform identically. The average user will not notice any difference gaming on Ryzen vs intel. Benchmarks give performance figures, often times separated by tiny margins, they do not tell you how well a game plays or how smooth it runs. Some reviewers have begun to mention these facts which is encouraging. 

In the end, Intel and Ryzen will both handle games very well. Why choose Ryzen? Because it's a newer platform and Kaby Lake will be the last CPU line on the 1151 socket. It's that simple.

You will want to pick up a decent GPU for that setup too. Without knowing budget I can't recommend anything.
Yondaime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The Taichi is widely regarded as one of if not the best Ryzen board out there. 

With your AiO liquid cooler you may need to purchase an AM4 mounting bracket. Check the product page for your cooler for info. If it uses the clip system for AMD then it will work as is.

So you are thinking:

CPU:  r7 1700
Mobo: X370 Taichi

The only question is, will you need 8 cores and 16 threads? You will likely be using GPU acceleration for video editing. If you are going to be gaming then you will likely pick up a decent GPU so it would make sense to use it when using editing software for rendering. That means that you won't be taking advantage of the 16 thread Ryzen 7. If this is so then you can save yourself some money and go with the R5 1600. It has 6 cores and 12 threads so it will be future-proof and it performs almost identically to Ryzen 7 when it comes to gaming. As we move forward, Ryzen will be better utilized in games. Ryzen isn't "worse" than intel for gaming, it is just a new architecture that current games are not properly optimized to take advantage of.

Also note that intel being better than Ryzen for gaming is only true at lower resolutions on enthusiast grade GPUs. Once you move up to 1440p and above, on a GTX 1070 or better, the bottleneck shifts from the CPU to the GPU and both will perform identically. The average user will not notice any difference gaming on Ryzen vs intel. Benchmarks give performance figures, often times separated by tiny margins, they do not tell you how well a game plays or how smooth it runs. Some reviewers have begun to mention these facts which is encouraging. 

In the end, Intel and Ryzen will both handle games very well. Why choose Ryzen? Because it's a newer platform and Kaby Lake will be the last CPU line on the 1151 socket. It's that simple.

You will want to pick up a decent GPU for that setup too. Without knowing budget I can't recommend anything.

Thanks for the informing reply. Budget is around 2000 $ for whole rig. 

My setup is like this

X370 taichi
r7 1700 - 1600
Arctic liquid freezer 240
Gskill flare 3200 mhz cl14 16 gb ram
Samsung 960 evo m2 2280 500 gb 
2x 1 tb wd blue hdd
Corsair obsidian 750d case with 3 extra ml140 pro fans
Gainward gtx 1070 PLH
Acer xb241hbmiprz 1080p 144hz gsync monitor

With seeing intel's 6 core move, I got that multicore tasking is close future's upgrade. I know ryzen 5 1600 not worse than other ryzen series in gaming yet 8 core would be serving more in a year or later maybe. Some kind of futureproofing for me. Yet I can still consider going for 1600x at least. I dont know it yet. But It was they way I thougt like.

I know better gpu and monitor are the most challenging parts in gaming. But for 1080p gaming, 1070 will be enough for me some years.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 3:20pm
You will be more than happy with that setup, just remember to check compatibility with your Liquid cooler.

The 1700 will possibly last you a bit longer before you need an upgrade. It's difficult to make a recommendation on the CPU side of things. If you just want the best PC for your money today and want it to last for a few years (or more) then the 1700 will probably serve you better say 2 years from now than the 1600. 

With a GTX 1070 you will probably see near identical gaming performance between intel and Ryzen Wink
Yondaime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:05pm
I forgot to answer that :)

I have contacted arctic support for am4 retention ring. They sent me that a week ago. I would need am3 backplate but it's easy to find.

For now 1600 will serve me just same as 1700 but after some updates and when games benefit from more than 6 cores I would see it useful. But this is my idea, it could be worse or better than my predict. Yet I'm sure about something. Building a good ryzen rig will serve me more than lga 1151 chipset. At least if I buy taichi, I can use that mobo for 5 years with only upgrading Cpu gpu and monitor 3 years later.

Thanks for kind attitude.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:14pm
Happy to help Wink

Post back when you have built your system Thumbs Up
DanielThomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 2:49pm
Hello friends, I'm new here. I'm Daniel a gamer. I have joined this forum to know the latest news of gaming, gaming accessories etc.

Originally posted by Moderator Moderator wrote:

Hotlink removed, no advertising permitted

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Jul 2017 at 4:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic