ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 - new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6&a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirurgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:20pm
I had some time to play with BIOS 3.0. All in all the same situation with memory, I 2800 was the max stable I could get, but wait...

Then, as I haven't much options left, I decided to re-seat the memory modules, so I put them in A1/B1, which is not recommended. Right off the bat I could boot up 3066, doing nothing special at all, select XMP + choose 3066. With smile on my face I tried 3200 and after that I decided not to smile that much :)
So back to 3066, it booted fine, memtest86 completed fine for 20 minutes, but prime95 gave me rounding errors, increasing SOC and memory voltage did not help, it seemed that errors in prime came earlier than without increasing voltage (strange, right?).
I changed speed to 2933 and all was fine, memtest and prime did not show any errors for 10 mins and that's an indication, for me, that more or less everything works. I did reboot for some good 10 times, all worked. Until cold boot.
But at that point my gf "politely" asked me to stop beeping :)

I'll try more tonight, but until then: it appears that A1/B1 seem to work just fine, 3066 seem to boot more often than 2933, 2800 is stable. With A2/B2 no dice over 2800 at all, 2933 booted one of of 15 times and anything over it did not boot once.
Meanwhile do anyone know (or can ask tech team), why is A2/B2 recommended, is it fine just to leave RAM in A1/B1? I mean I clearly get better results than recommended, or do I? :)

Edit: my memory - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 v5.39 (i checked it in Typhoon and it said Hynix, I trust it :))

Br, Kirurgs

Edited by Kirurgs - 18 Jul 2017 at 1:28pm
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Kirurgs Kirurgs wrote:

I had some time to play with BIOS 3.0. All in all the same situation with memory, I 2800 was the max stable I could get, but wait...

Then, as I haven't much options left, I decided to re-seat the memory modules, so I put them in A1/B1, which is not recommended. Right off the bat I could boot up 3066, doing nothing special at all, select XMP + choose 3066. With smile on my face I tried 3200 and after that I decided not to smile that much :)
So back to 3066, it booted fine, memtest86 completed fine for 20 minutes, but prime95 gave me rounding errors, increasing SOC and memory voltage did not help, it seemed that errors in prime came earlier than without increasing voltage (strange, right?).
I changed speed to 2933 and all was fine, memtest and prime did not show any errors for 10 mins and that's an indication, for me, that more or less everything works. I did reboot for some good 10 times, all worked. Until cold boot.
But at that point my gf "politely" asked me to stop beeping :)

I'll try more tonight, but until then: it appears that A1/B1 seem to work just fine, 3066 seem to boot more often than 2933, 2800 is stable. With A2/B2 no dice over 2800 at all, 2933 booted one of of 15 times and anything over it did not boot once.
Meanwhile do anyone know (or can ask tech team), why is A2/B2 recommended, is it fine just to leave RAM in A1/B1? I mean I clearly get better results than recommended, or do I? :)

Edit: my memory - CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 v5.39 (i checked it in Typhoon and it said Hynix, I trust it :))

Br, Kirurgs

Nice find!

I'd say keep em where they're at if it's working out for you.
This is a new platform, and a new board, with the countless different types of RAM out there you can't imagine ASRock tested with so much.
It's like finding bus deadspots back in the day when overclocking.

I'm gonna try out the A1/B1 slots this weekend, and see what I find, I didn't even bother to try, because I'm having good results already.

Cheers man, enjoy!

Oh, what timings are you using with what voltages?
Kirurgs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kirurgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

Cheers man, enjoy!

Thanks, I'll enjoy, hopefully I can get 3066 or 2933 stable, then I'm throwing the towel... :)

Timings: loaded XMP, changed memory to 3066, that's it. It was all default, which is 16-18-18-36, 1.35V RAM, in addittion I set both load lines to lvl 3.

Br, Kirurgs
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:59pm

I hear you, me too, only once.  LANParty DFI board...I was so sad.

LANParty SLI Dr's here. Two of em. Toast.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Kirurgs Kirurgs wrote:

Cheers man, enjoy!

Thanks, I'll enjoy, hopefully I can get 3066 or 2933 stable, then I'm throwing the towel... :)

Timings: loaded XMP, changed memory to 3066, that's it. It was all default, which is 16-18-18-36, 1.35V RAM, in addittion I set both load lines to lvl 3.

Br, Kirurgs

Same, I'm able to use my kit at 3066, but occasionally can't cold boot, and restarting gives boot loops before posting, so I think I'll step down to 2933, it's just 3000+ sounds and "feels" so good.  Haha

I've set LLC to auto for the SOC voltage, and set it to 1.0.  I don't think it'll help raising that, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

No issues while using my computer for prolonged periods of time @3066MHz though.
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:06am
@Kirurgs

Good find, I'll check it later this week because I'm on the same boat as you: anything above 2800 and no luck to post, but I'm on Gskill 3200 CL16 Hynix single rank.

Thank you for sharing.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:55pm
Guys!

Excited to report some MAJOR and very noticeable improvements in performance recently after some tinkering.

Since having upgraded to the new BIOS 3.0 AGESA 1.0.0.6a I didn't play around too much, but after reading all the experiences people are having here, and seeing reviews online about major improvements in gaming performance I had to see for myself.

Tinkered with memory timings & the new Bankgroupswap (BGS) and Geardownmode (GDM), and then tried some more overclocking , which ended up with the system not posting, and in the past I'd have to clear CMOS to be able to get back into the BIOS.  Now, after hard shutdowns, and letting the system failover and try to post 3 times (default setting), it eventually resets all BIOS settings, and brings things back to default.  As you already know, this is how they meant for it to work, but it didn't work so well before now.  Love it, much less effort than opening the case every time I  attempt to overclock or mess with memory.

So nothing has changed in terms of memory timings or speeds, still @16-17-17-34-1T @3066MHz 1.35v, but now things are more stable, no cold boot issues so far, or restarting issues.

Also, while playing with timings I experienced the stuttering everyone is talking about in another thread.  It was night and day noticeable.  I then went back into the BIOS and reset timings and everything, and started over.  Stuttering gone.  The stuttering started when I was playing with the BGS & GDM modes.  As per AMD's suggestions I have them both OFF and CR at 1T.  My RAM kit is DR - dual rank.

Once I had everything set, and rebooted, I changed my power profile in windows to the AMD Ryzen Balanced option, after having read a few things about the changes it brings.  There's more to it than just the visible options we see in the GUI.

After all that, holy cow, system is butter smooth, and games (BF1) is performing MUCH MUCH MUCH better.  It brought stability in framerates, and brought up the minimum framerates.  I didn't bench any numbers, but played through a couple of matches, and it is so smooth, absolutely no skipped frames or anything.

From there I turned on Afterburner's Rivatuner OSD and saw that my minimum framerate never dipped below 100FPS, which wasn't possible before.  I have most settings high/ultra, and some key post processing effects to medium to help keep framerates high, I'm using a GTX1070 for graphics power.

I then checked a couple of game benchmarks, like Shadow of Mordor, and again, minimum frames have jumped BIGTIME.  I really should've changed and tested one setting at a time, but I was tired, and didn't want to spend too much time last night, I'm a 9-5er.  This is all at 2560x1440 resolution.  My minimum framerate for this benchmark is normally in the 60s and sometimes dips into the 50s with a max framerate anywhere between 135-165, settings as high as they go.  Now my minimum framerate was in the mid70s and as high as 79FPS.

Wowzers right?!  So much performance gain in such short time, I'm now able to truly say I'm really happy with Ryzen's performance.

Through some software updates (Microsoft, AMD, ASRock, Nvidia) I have a super smooth system.

Forgot to mention CPU is @3.85GHz 1.344v

Sorry for the long post, early in the morning and coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so I'm ranting.

I think that's about it.  Haven't been this "into" a platform in a long ass time, since my original Intel 2500K, and going back further my AMD64 Athlon Opteron 146/148.  :)

Edit: Wanted to clarify the "stuttering".  I didn't fire up any games, but just sitting on the desktop moving windows around and it would stutter/judder consistently as if you had a major process going on in the background taking up 100% CPU time.

Edited by ShampooCA - 19 Jul 2017 at 9:57pm
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 1:46am
@ShampooCA

Thanks for sharing.

I tinkered a bit too with the new 3.0 release. I can post now at 3066Mhz DDR4, but it needs a lot of voltage: 1.45v on the memory and 1.15v on Soc. Also, Geardown disabled and 2T CR, Cas 16 XMP timmings. The system is stable in Windows and stress test passed, but for some reason it fails to post on reboot, and sometimes on cold boot, so I went back to my previous stable 2800 Cas 14 1T. It's strange because 2933 never posts, even with the same settings as 3066 did.

Checked Pstate overclocking: It's the same as before on my end. Any change on VID or DID at Pstate 0 and the CPU maxed out at Pstate1 settings on Windows :-( , so pstate overclocking is still bugged.

I'm happy with the change to Tctl sensor to drive fans. Now the CPU fan reacts quickly at constant load temperature increase.

System now is stable at 3.80Ghz 1.21v with pstate0 only overclocking and Ryzen balanced plan on Windows. Performance is the same as per some benchmarks.

I'll try seating the sticks at A1/B1 this weekend to try. I hope AMD will release a new Agesa with most problems solved next time.

Thanks. 

ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 2:21am
That's great to know, I didn't know about the addition of the coretemp for case fan control.  Nice.

You've got it running at 3.8GHz with only 1.21v????? That's awesome!  Must be nice and cool and quiet.

Speaking of which, I have cool and quiet turned off, and I'm at a fixed rate for voltages and clockspeeds.

It's too bad about your RAM, but still better than 2666MHz :)

Oh, I've got my RAM in the recommended A2/B2 as well and running XMP timings, but manually set CR.

Have you noticed better performance in games?  Man it's so smooth now, I'm loving it.  Feels like a new machine to me, since the creators update for win10.

I'm ecstatic.  VERY noticeable in FPS games, but I'm excited to try out The Witcher 3 and others tonight.
Derreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 4:01pm
Hello there! My personal experience could be non-relevant for many of you since I'm using budget RAM but still. 
With the previous AGESA 1.0.0.6 I was able to OC my RAM (dual sticks of A-DATA AX4U2400W8G16-SRD) to 2666MHz @ 1.3V

With AGESA 1.0.0.6a I can run the exact same RAM @ 2800MHz @ 1.39V stable. I've tested it in P95 with 15GB RAM allocation for one hour, and it seems to be rock solid. Note that I haven't changed any timings or stuff - just bumped up DDR4 voltage.

Maybe my experience would be at hand for someone. Cheers!

P.S. I'm using ASRock X370 Gaming K4 and Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz 1.33V

EDIT: 2933MHz is now also working stable for me but voltage is quite high - 1.42V

Edited by Derreck - 20 Jul 2017 at 8:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 30>
  Share Topic