ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 - new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6&a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

You should ALWAYS clear the BIOS prior to upflashing a major rewrite. ie 2.xx to 3.xx

Always.

Heck, I clear the BIOS prior to any flashing. Every once in a while a setting will be altered/changed/removed, and that can and will cause issues.

You can clear CMOS before or after, doesn't matter, it clears the settings.

I don't believe that's necessary, if you have to all the time you've got other issues, possibly a bad CMOS battery, replace that.

I would however put settings back to default prior to upgrading or failing back to an older BIOS.
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:27am
i agree with wardog. it only takes a few seconds to reset the bios Before you flash it. i could just be a thing of the past but i have always reset bios defaults before flashing.
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 1:37am
Originally posted by KiriyaAoi KiriyaAoi wrote:

So I'm going to come on here hoping for a bit of advice.  I'm having a hell of a time with this board, and my frustration is almost to the point of just buying a new MSI or Gigabyte board.   I have 16GB (2x8GB) kit of G Skill Aegis DDR4-3000.  

I'm permanently stuck on 1.0.0.4 versions of the BIOS.  With that version, I cannot get 2666 or higher stable, but it's stable at 2400.  If I upgrade to 1.0.0.6 I have been completely unable to get anything above 2133 stable.  Even 2400 just results in a boot loop until it resets.  I've tried kicking up the RAM and SoC voltage as much as I dare, increasing the main timings, ProcODT at 80ohm, GDM off, 2T CR... Nothing.  Anything above 2133 fails to POST.  Despite the issues with VME for XP Virtual Machines, I have to stay with the older BIOS version because it's even worse than the newer version for stability.  Does anyone have any issues or suggestions here? I'm pulling my hair out about the whole thing. It's 100% rock stable at 2400 on the older BIOS, which is frustrating. 

This RAM is Hynix for the DRAM as well.

Which RAM slots are you using?  Should be 2nd and last, I forget the labeling, I think it's A2 and B2 or something.

Are you using XMP settings along with it or standard?  

I've been able to simply set XMP to whatever 2666 or 2933 or 3066 and then change voltage, and major timings.

My set runs at 16-17-17-36 1.35v and automatically the CR is 1T, haven't touched any other settings.

Of course it will differ per kit.

My kit is probably Micron based, because it's http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/blt8g4d26afta#productDetails

Anyways, if you've tried everything and your kit isn't on the supported memory QVL then you're outta luck.  Might be worth waiting a little while longer for the next release, or if you can't wait, then sell that kit and grab something off the QVL list.

I got lucky, bought this kit blind prior to any Ryzen QVL lists, b/c it was cheap $105 CAD.
Teckie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:53am
Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

So I'm going to come on here hoping for a bit of advice.  I'm having a hell of a time with this board, and my frustration is almost to the point of just buying a new MSI or Gigabyte board.   I have 16GB (2x8GB) kit of G Skill Aegis DDR4-3000.  

I'm permanently stuck on 1.0.0.4 versions of the BIOS.  With that version, I cannot get 2666 or higher stable, but it's stable at 2400.  If I upgrade to 1.0.0.6 I have been completely unable to get anything above 2133 stable.  Even 2400 just results in a boot loop until it resets.  I've tried kicking up the RAM and SoC voltage as much as I dare, increasing the main timings, ProcODT at 80ohm, GDM off, 2T CR... Nothing.  Anything above 2133 fails to POST.  Despite the issues with VME for XP Virtual Machines, I have to stay with the older BIOS version because it's even worse than the newer version for stability.  Does anyone have any issues or suggestions here? I'm pulling my hair out about the whole thing. It's 100% rock stable at 2400 on the older BIOS, which is frustrating. 

Which RAM slots are you using?  Should be 2nd and last, I forget the labeling, I think it's A2 and B2 or something.

I've been able to simply set XMP to whatever 2666 or 2933 or 3066 and then change voltage, and major timings.

My set runs at 16-17-17-36 1.35v and automatically the CR is 1T, haven't touched any other settings.

My kit is probably Micron based, because it's http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/blt8g4d26afta#productDetails

Anyways, if you've tried everything and your kit isn't on the supported memory QVL then you're outta luck.  Might be worth waiting a little while longer for the next release, or if you can't wait, then sell that kit and grab something off the QVL list.

I got lucky, bought this kit blind prior to any Ryzen QVL lists, b/c it was cheap $105 CAD.

I've seen some folks manually adjust the timing of their ddr kit like you. Let me  ask: how do you determine or what did you do which lead you to that particular timing for your kit to run successfully at the desire speed ?  to think of the permutation that you have to go through to figure out is mind numbing. Or is that how you did it ?
Ryzen 1700X
Asrock X370 Fatal1ty prof gaming (1.0.0.6a)
G.Skill 8gx2 3200 FlareX 14-14-14-34 CAS 14 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
EVGA G3 750 80Gold
EVGA clc 280 AIO
960 EVO M.2
860 EVO SSD
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Teckie Teckie wrote:

Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

I've seen some folks manually adjust the timing of their ddr kit like you. Let me  ask: how do you determine or what did you do which lead you to that particular timing for your kit to run successfully at the desire speed ?  to think of the permutation that you have to go through to figure out is mind numbing. Or is that how you did it ?

Nothing special, just working on loosening from your RAM kit's stated timings.

Yours is listed as G.Skill 8gx2 3200 FlareX 14-14-14-34 CAS 14 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX), my kit will not boot at 14.

So given Ryzen (Edit: or this board, can't remember) can only set even numbers for the CAS timing, set that to 16-16-16-34, and give it a rip, or work the other way and go very loose with 18-18-18-38 timings, and then if it boots, go down from there to 16-17-17-36, and so on.

My kit's rated settings are 16-17-17-36 @2666MHz, but after reading a review on its overclocking potential from way back in 2012, the review site was able to get it to approx. 2900MHz with increased voltage to 1.35v and those default timings, so I just went from there.

Default voltage for my kit is 1.2v.

I noticed no one is posting the timings they're failing to post with.  

This is a new platform, and as we've all witnessed, RAM compatibility is still being worked on and not guaranteed to work at their advertised speeds with Ryzen unless it says so, and even then kinda spotty, so forget what the advertised timings are rated for, it's likely not gonna happen at the advertised speeds, just loosen the timings.

My kit is clearly for an Intel platform, b/c it's from 2012 or something, I forget the release date, and Ryzen didn't exist back then.

Again I got lucky.  :)

Hope that helps some!  I do NOT play with other subtimings too much, because in my experience over the years, if you can't get the RAM to post or work by changing the main timings, then it likely won't with the subtimings.  I would play with those later on if you're having stability issues, as they can help for that when fine tuning.

How much can you gain from fine tuning?  Not much, so I don't play much into it anymore.  Getting old, no patience for the gains; not much return.

Oh, and I'm able to hit those timings and speeds (2666MHz, 2933MHz, 3066MHz) at a Command Rate(CR) of 1T, luckily.

If you can't for the love of god get your expensive RAM to post at anything other than 2133MHz or something, I would sell them to an Intel guy, and pick up something off the QVL list.

Cheers,
Mike

Edited by ShampooCA - 18 Jul 2017 at 3:46am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:29am

Your memory' XMP Profile(s) can be determined by the below.

PLEASE, start a new thread if you need further help else this Thread will become unreadable.

Grab AIDA64 and look under the "Extreme Memory Profile 2.0" data as I have below.
https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Grab Thaiphoon Burner, under the Read tab..
http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

AIDA64 > Motherboard > SPD

Edited by wardog - 18 Jul 2017 at 3:29am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:33am
Back in the wild days of OC'ing I hosed two BIOSes due to the new one not having some settings that I unknowing "left behind' by not clearing first.

As was said, it takes all of 10 seconds from clearing to being back into the BIOS.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:36am

Back in the wild days of OC'ing I hosed two BIOSes due to the new one not having some settings that I unknowing "left behind' by not clearing first.

As was said, it takes all of 10 seconds from clearing to being back into the BIOS.

I hear you, me too, only once.  LANParty DFI board...I was so sad.  Ordered it in from zee Germany to Canada.  $$$$$$

Nowadays, this is PURELY speculation, but it seems like all settings and such are reset before/during the flashing process.  

Actually that'd be a good question to ask the software engineers.

ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:53am
Back on topic.

Board is behaving better with the new BIOS release, no more failed posts before booting up when restarting or cold boots.

Thumbs up from me.  :)

Edit:  at 3066MHz 1.35v 16-17-17-34-1T

Edited by ShampooCA - 18 Jul 2017 at 3:54am
Teckie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 4:20am

Your memory' XMP Profile(s) can be determined by the below.

PLEASE, start a new thread if you need further help else this Thread will become unreadable.

Grab AIDA64 and look under the "Extreme Memory Profile 2.0" data as I have below.
https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Grab Thaiphoon Burner, under the Read tab..
http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

AIDA64 > Motherboard > SPD

Alright...I'm making a new thread. Thanks

Ryzen 1700X
Asrock X370 Fatal1ty prof gaming (1.0.0.6a)
G.Skill 8gx2 3200 FlareX 14-14-14-34 CAS 14 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
EVGA G3 750 80Gold
EVGA clc 280 AIO
960 EVO M.2
860 EVO SSD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 30>
  Share Topic