ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 - new BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6&a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:39pm
Hello to all

I have an ASRock K4 with R7 1700x

When I insert the following subtimings into the bios (Trfc, Trc, Tfaw, Twr) , they are not seen correctly in windows

Both Ryzen Timing and Hwinfo, Cpu-z, read incorrect values despite being set in the bios correctly.

For example, in the bios I set Trfc to 240, in windows it is seen at 576, so also for the other values,

Is a motherboard bug?

Edited by Nrg - 20 Jul 2017 at 6:42pm
Rares View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:52pm
sharing my thoughts with BIOS v3.00:

-I've changed mem. banks from A2/B2 to A1/B1 and achieved stable 2933 MHz @ 15-15-15-28-54 1T @ 1.35v
-oc'ed my 1700 @ 3.725 GHz rock stable @ 1.25v (tested 1h with Prime95 + FurMark in full load/stress in parallel => this is the best way to say that oc'ing is stable at high clocks with tweaking and so...)
-the system seems much more responsive and agile
-this version offers much, much more tweaks than before (the best version for overclockers so far)

Cheers Wink

X370 Gaming K4 / Ryzen 1700 @ 3.725 / G.Skill FlareX 14-14-14-14-34 @ 3200 XMP / Sapphire Nitro RX480 / SSD x 3
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Nrg Nrg wrote:

Hello to all

When I insert the following subtimings into the bios (Trfc, Trc, Tfaw, Twr) , they are not seen correctly in windows

Both Ryzen Timing and Hwinfo, Cpu-z, read incorrect values despite being set in the bios correctly.

For example, in the bios I set Trfc to 240, in windows it is seen at 576, so also for the other values,

Is a motherboard bug?

Is that with XMP enabled or disabled?

If it's enabled, try with XMP disabled, and set timings manually.
Nrg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

Hello to all

Is a motherboard bug?

Is that with XMP enabled or disabled?

If it's enabled, try with XMP disabled, and set timings manually.

Xmp disabled, timed manually in the Amd-> Dram Timing section

If xmp is active, and timing by hand, they are recognized with Ryzen timing
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Rares Rares wrote:

-I've changed mem. banks from A2/B2 to A1/B1 and achieved stable 2933 MHz @ 15-15-15-28-54 1T @ 1.35v
-oc'ed my 1700 @ 3.725 GHz rock stable @ 1.25v (tested 1h with Prime95 + FurMark in full load/stress in parallel => this is the best way to say that oc'ing is stable at high clocks with tweaking and so...)
-this version offers much, much more tweaks than before (the best version for overclockers so far)

Cheers Wink

I'd recommend you not use Prime95 & Furmark.

Both stress your computer beyond regular usage and will prematurely wear on your parts.

24hrs prime95 stress tests of the past (I did them too) just aren't necessary in my opinion.

The way I test stability these days is to leave the system on 24/7 with no load, an unstable system will crash/freeze/etc., and log things in the Windows event logs if there are issues.

For immediate stability testing I like to run synthetic benchmarks on loop for a few runs, 3DMark stress runs are good, but a variety of benchmarks are useful, as they stress different parts of your system.

That along with some CPU intensive stuff like Blender, and Cinebench etc.

Any memory tests will be good too, like Win10 has a memory testing utility built in, which reboots your computer and runs for many hours.

I refuse to believe that tools like FurMark are the defacto ways to determine stability.  If you run FurMark in conjunction with other stress testers, there's a good chance you can crash and cause issues with a fully stock and stable computer off the shelf.

They're not without their issues.

It's good to see another person getting good results moving RAM to the A1/B1 slots.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Cheers.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:26pm

Hello to all

Is a motherboard bug?

Nicely, that sounds like a User Input bug.

Are you positive that you are entering the values in the proper position?

"set 240 in BIOS but apps read it as 576'. That is a discrepancy I just can't follow along with.
Nrg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hello to all

Is a motherboard bug?

Nicely, that sounds like a User Input bug.

Are you positive that you are entering the values in the proper position?

"set 240 in BIOS but apps read it as 576'. That is a discrepancy I just can't follow along with.

I'm sure i have them inserted well

Also because if xmp is active and I put manual timing, they are recognized correctly
Rares View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rares Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:39pm

Originally posted by Rares Rares wrote:

Cheers Wink

I'd recommend you not use Prime95 & Furmark.

Both stress your computer beyond regular usage and will prematurely wear on your parts.

24hrs prime95 stress tests of the past (I did them too) just aren't necessary in my opinion.

The way I test stability these days is to leave the system on 24/7 with no load, an unstable system will crash/freeze/etc., and log things in the Windows event logs if there are issues.

For immediate stability testing I like to run synthetic benchmarks on loop for a few runs, 3DMark stress runs are good, but a variety of benchmarks are useful, as they stress different parts of your system.

That along with some CPU intensive stuff like Blender, and Cinebench etc.

Any memory tests will be good too, like Win10 has a memory testing utility built in, which reboots your computer and runs for many hours.

I refuse to believe that tools like FurMark are the defacto ways to determine stability.  If you run FurMark in conjunction with other stress testers, there's a good chance you can crash and cause issues with a fully stock and stable computer off the shelf.

They're not without their issues.

It's good to see another person getting good results moving RAM to the A1/B1 slots.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Cheers.

I partialiy agree with you. I was testing my system with Prime95 more than 5hrs+ with no problems at all, but whan I was playing some FPS the system crashed with a BSOD in Win10... so, stressing with both P95 & FM is the best way to find if the system is rock stable. Just my opinion...
X370 Gaming K4 / Ryzen 1700 @ 3.725 / G.Skill FlareX 14-14-14-14-34 @ 3200 XMP / Sapphire Nitro RX480 / SSD x 3
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:12am

That's great to know, I didn't know about the addition of the coretemp for case fan control.  Nice.

You've got it running at 3.8GHz with only 1.21v????? That's awesome!  Must be nice and cool and quiet.

Speaking of which, I have cool and quiet turned off, and I'm at a fixed rate for voltages and clockspeeds.

It's too bad about your RAM, but still better than 2666MHz :)

Oh, I've got my RAM in the recommended A2/B2 as well and running XMP timings, but manually set CR.

Have you noticed better performance in games?  Man it's so smooth now, I'm loving it.  Feels like a new machine to me, since the creators update for win10.

I'm ecstatic.  VERY noticeable in FPS games, but I'm excited to try out The Witcher 3 and others tonight.

Hi,

I'm surprised too about the vcore needed to achieve 3.8Ghz. I've checked it in UEFI hw monitor, HWinfo and CPU-z, and it's the same reading. I added a bit of offset to vcore on top of psate0's default 1.18xx, so I guess it's true. SoC voltage is low too at 0.89v.

I think my 1700 has the potential to be a good overclocker, but in contrast have a weak IMC. I've read on other forums some guys had tested several Ryzen CPUs, and their conclusion was that the good core overclockers can't reach 3200Mhz on memory, and those weaker on core OC can easily reach 3200 DDR4. But AMD itself said all R7 can reach at least 3600Mhz on the IMC so... May be we have two silicon lotteries to search for now :-) I don't know.

Temps are normal under load at 3.8: ~65C on Aida64 stress test, ~55C while gaming.

About prime95 and Furmark benching together, the only reason I can run both at the same time (and a limited time, 1 hour max) is to test PSU's power delivery. I think these two are over demanding for my needs, stability speaking. I had systems in the past, which were not prime stable, but ran rock stable at all my full load demands. But, each one have different stability needs so....

Another user with memories on A1/B1, so I'm forced to try this weekend :-) 

@Wardog: Any comments from Asrock about why some memory kits runs better on A1/B1 than the recommended A2/B2 on the X370 K4? Thanks. 

Ottesen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ottesen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:44am
anyone else having problems with fan speed in the newest 3.00 bios ?

i have an aio. but no matter how i configure the cpu fans "in the bios" it just runs them at full speed. 2200 rpm in the bios and drops to 1800 ish when windows is loaded. 

but a simple task like opening a folder makes the fans ramp to full speed again

the temps are around 50-55 in the bios and 30-35 in windows when the fans are at full speed.

the only way i can solve it is by changing the fans in the f stream tuning utillity. and that means that my fans run at full speed untill windows is loaded. is that a bug ?

and btw when im running the adjusted fans speeds "750 rpm" its rougly the same temps
1+1=4 in my world and dont try to say otherwise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 30>
  Share Topic